Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/1/2008 1:08:14 PM EDT
OK my brothers...
Here is another class for the "starved for training" crowd and the FIRST shotgun course held by MDTS in NJ. Lets support it.

MDTS Combative Shotgun Skills 1 & 2

Saturday Sept 13th
Buckeye Gun Club, Barnegat NJ  
9am-6pm

Minimum 8/Maximum 12

The MDTS Combative Shotgun Skills series is designed to start you off on the proper path to fighting with a shotgun.
An effective and efficient platform in which to fight with a shotgun is introduced & utilized.

This class is ideal for home defense with your smoothbore.
It is set up for the Remington 870, 1100, 1187 and Mossberg 500 and 590 platforms but other platforms can be used in the class.

Course content will include but is not limited to:

Safety, Patterning
Ammunition & Selection
Modifications & Options
Four Points of Contact & Mounting
Vehicle/Home Ready Mode
Tactical Ready Mode
Ready Positions
Shooting Responses
Combat/Emergency loading & Transition to Handgun
Tactical Loading
Slug Select Drill
Close Tactical Shooting
Shooting on the Move
Movement to cover
Barricades and the proper use of Cover & Concealment and more...

Equipment:

Ammo-
350 Bird shot,
25-00Buck Shot,
25 Slug,
200 Pistol.

Eye and Ear protection
pistol and minimum of 2 magazines (if you own a pistol)
appropriate clothing for weather, H2O

Time: 9am-6pm

www.buckeyegunclub.com

Course Fee: $175

Payment to be made via bank or USPS Money Order only and sent to RW3 at least 60 days in advance.
*A pistol is not required to attend this class.

Contact [email protected] and answer up on this thread to secure a spot in this class.

Thank you,
RW3
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I'm in with my new toy
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 4:17:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I am in.  Now I just have to get a NJ legal shotgun
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 4:34:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been waiting for a shotgun class for a loooong time. Thanks Chris.

The HUN will take a spot, Thank You

Chris/Ray :  I promise you I will not drop out this time around unless I drop dead
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 4:37:07 AM EDT
[#4]
350 Birdshot shells !    That can't be right !

# 7 or # 8 Birdshot
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 7:19:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

# 7 or # 8 Birdshot

Oh, its right for a full day of shotgunning. Just thank your lucky stars its not all slugs and buckshot

EDIT: thread with pictures and a vid of the last SG class
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

# 7 or # 8 Birdshot

Oh, its right for a full day of shotgunning. Just thank your lucky stars its not all slugs and buckshot

I hear ya
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 1:15:23 PM EDT
[#7]
So the count so far is:

Wastegate
JoelK
Bobby_the_Hun
RW3
Andy S.
leadunderpressure

1/2 of the way there guys...
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Come on guys and get some good old shotgun practice in.

RW3
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 5:31:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm in. Put me on the list.
Link Posted: 5/7/2008 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#10]
count me in for this class.  i had to miss the last class, both my kids had their 1st softball games of the year that I couldn't miss.
Link Posted: 5/8/2008 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#11]
5 spots left as of May 8th...

1) Wastegate
2) JoelK
3) Bobby_the_Hun
4) RW3
5) Andy S.
6) leadunderpressure
7) opey
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)

Link Posted: 5/21/2008 8:52:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Bump before it gets buried.
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm in! Definitely doc
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 1:22:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Could someone steer me in the right direction on the Birdshot Specifics for this class. I'd like to start stocking up , but I don't know what I need, I have always used Buckshot and Slugs, so that makes me Birdshot Stupid . I'm looking at the Remington and Federal brand names, nothing is labeled birdshot, so what am I looking for . Thanks

BTH
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 1:31:02 AM EDT
[#15]
this might be totally feasible for me... much less travel time than going up to LMI... just don't like the idea of taking my shotty over state lines.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 5:59:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Could someone steer me in the right direction on the Birdshot Specifics for this class. I'd like to start stocking up , but I don't know what I need, I have always used Buckshot and Slugs, so that makes me Birdshot Stupid . I'm looking at the Remington and Federal brand names, nothing is labeled birdshot, so what am I looking for . Thanks

BTH

Most guys in the last shotgun class went to walmart and bought either Federal, Remington, or Winchester 1 1/8oz #7.5 or #8 birdshot. Last I checked, you could buy a 4 box case (100rds) for ~$20-22. These are inexpensive low brass target loads.

Most of the manipulation drills will be on steel targets, and perfect for birdshot and buck (not slugs). You will be using various paper targets for the slug select drills.

I used the Winchester loads in my Benelli with 0 problems. A lot of guys had malfunctions in their pumpguns when we did a lot of shooting and their guns got hot, ie sticky extraction, mostly. It would be a good idea to test your shotgun by firing a bunch of ammo through it in a short period of time. If you gun runs OK, stock up on that ammo.

Link Posted: 5/23/2008 6:31:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTH

Most guys in the last shotgun class went to walmart and bought either Federal, Remington, or Winchester 1 1/8oz #7.5 or #8 birdshot. Last I checked, you could buy a 4 box case (100rds) for ~$20-22. These are inexpensive low brass target loads.

Most of the manipulation drills will be on steel targets, and perfect for birdshot and buck (not slugs). You will be using various paper targets for the slug select drills.

I used the Winchester loads in my Benelli with 0 problems. A lot of guys had malfunctions in their pumpguns when we did a lot of shooting and their guns got hot, ie sticky extraction, mostly. It would be a good idea to test your shotgun by firing a bunch of ammo through it in a short period of time. If you gun runs OK, stock up on that ammo.

Thank You
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
this might be totally feasible for me... much less travel time than going up to LMI... just don't like the idea of taking my shotty over state lines.

Just keep ammo and shotgun in seperate locked containers as far away from you (trunk or if pick-up behind the seat) and come directly to the club, do not pass go, do not collect $200 dollars.

Don't speed and you will be alright.

Make sure the shotgun is "Jersey Legal" meaning;

1) A semi-automatic cannot have a pistol grip or be able to hold more that 6 rounds.

2) Magazined semi-shotguns can only hold 5 rounds total in mag and no pistol grip.

3) Pumps can hold more that 6 rounds and CAN have a pistol grip, bayonet lug, etc.

Any questions drop me a line.

RW3
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Count me in if JoelK and Wastegate will be there.  I NEED shotgun training.

Sounds Great!
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 2:36:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Sounds Great!

I look forward to seeing you.  You will have a good time and learn a lot.

I find myself without a shotgun at the moment, and was thinking of getting one for the course, but have decided to borrow my brother's Mossberg.  That way I can learn what I want/need before getting something for here.  Chris' courses are a great way to see what really works for you in guns and gear.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 2:47:01 AM EDT
[#21]
OK add me to the list. After getting trounced at my last shotgun match it's time for some real training.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 3:37:35 AM EDT
[#22]
I am in.  Please add me to the list.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 3:58:44 AM EDT
[#23]
There is an excellent book that I picked up at the last gun show in Valley Forge, it is by Gabriel Suarez titled " The Tactical Shotgun ", some good pointers in the book, also some surprising facts. The ISBN is 0-87364-898-6  Copyright 1996, published by Paladin Press.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 4:05:44 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds Great!

I find myself without a shotgun at the moment, and was thinking of getting one for the course, but have decided to borrow my brother's Mossberg.  That way I can learn what I want/need before getting something for here.  Chris' courses are a great way to see what really works for you in guns and gear.

I'll bring both of my Remington 870Ps.  One is simple and trouble-free.  The other is techno-overkill.  One guess on which would be better in a self defense situation.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds Great!

I'll bring both of my Remington 870Ps.  One is simple and trouble-free.  The other is techno-overkill.  One guess on which would be better in a self defense situation.

I have an 870P as well and Tactical
Will be fun to compare Shotties when we get together.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have an 870P as well and Tactical
Will be fun to compare Shotties when we get together.

Sounds good.  I'm looking forward to that part.  Then we get to see how they hold up.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd like to attend, but have a question on the gun setup.  I have a mossberg 500A with a tactical pistol grip buttstock.  With this setup on the Mossy, one cannot readily manipulate the tang mounted safety.  How much of an issue and/or liability would this be for the course??

Thanks.

EAT:  Is it absolutely necessary to have a sling for this too?  And if so, can anyone recommend a decent one fairly cheap for a 500?
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 5:45:20 AM EDT
[#28]
As of May27th...

1) Wastegate
2) JoelK
3) Bobby_the_Hun
4) RW3
5) leadunderpressure
6) opey
7) Ghostdoc
8) Thunder
9) IRWFO
10) JC_68Westy
11) johnQpublik
12)

This is great to see guys...

Anybody else interested in this training answer up.

RW3

Link Posted: 5/26/2008 6:46:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 7:39:07 AM EDT
[#30]
OK then, put me down for it.  I'll be there.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 7:41:44 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
OK then, put me down for it.  I'll be there.

Nice!  This is going to be a great group!
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#32]
close the list. i'm in. just needed to price out the birdshot. what size is recommended?
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
close the list. i'm in. just needed to price out the birdshot. what size is recommended?

Read it in red

Quoted:

BTH  

Link Posted: 5/26/2008 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#34]
awesome. i'll head to dicks to pick some up. when does the MO have to be to you RW3? July 13th?

arite just to get things straight, trap loads, good to go?

scratch that... god damnit. just checked my schedule. season tickets that day for shea.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Just bought a case of the Remington Gun Club Target Loads at Dick's on sale.

These are 12 gauge, 2-3/4 length, 1145 Velocity, 1-1/8 shot, 8 shot.

$5.99 each when bought in a case of 10.  25 to a box, 250 shells to a case.

Might be a good deal for the rest of you planning on this training.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for the head's up thundar.  I'll be heading out to valley forge in a few weeks to stock up on stuff, so I'll probably get some there
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Thanks for the head's up thundar.  I'll be heading out to valley forge in a few weeks to stock up on stuff, so I'll probably get some there

Hmm, I may go also.  What's the date?
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#38]
According to their website, June  20,  21  &  22
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Payment sent Friday afternoon. Might just get my barrell vanged for this.  

gd
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
As of May27th...

1) Wastegate
2) JoelK
3) Bobby_the_Hun
4) RW3
5) leadunderpressure
6) opey
7) Ghostdoc
8) Thunder
9) IRWFO
10) JC_68Westy
11) johnQpublik
12)

This is great to see guys...

Anybody else interested in this training answer up.

RW3

Fix my name please.  Thundar not Thunder
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Is that Thundar as in Thundarr the Barbarian?
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that Thundar as in Thundarr the Barbarian?

No, thundar was a fish (clown trigger) I had that ate goldfish.  But that Thundarr clip is, wow, old.

And, wait, hey, is that the Zombie Flanders?  I mean Joel?  Wow, long time no hear from.  Nice to see you have some time for your shooting buddies.  Will we see you next Sunday?  The correct answer is YES.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
No, thundar was a fish (clown trigger) I had that ate goldfish.  But that Thundarr clip is, wow, old.

I remembered my little brother (now in his mid 20s) watching it when he was a kid.

Quoted:
And, wait, hey, is that the Zombie Flanders?  I mean Joel?  Wow, long time no hear from.  Nice to see you have some time for your shooting buddies.  Will we see you next Sunday?  The correct answer is YES.

Unfortunately it looks like my weekend schedule and SJSC weekend events are in conflict for the next month or so.  I will be around on the weekend of the 21st and 22nd if anyone wants to go to the Valley Forge gun show though

Edited to get back on topic a little, there are a few pics and some discussions of the last MDTS class at Buckeye over at The Rally Point if any attendees want to chime in.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm heading out for the valley forge show on sunday.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#45]
!!ROAD TRIP!!
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Sorry guys, I have been reminded about a few things going on in our lives toward the end of this month and early July that are gonna eat up available funds I was planning on having to use for this, so my spot is now open again for anyone who may not have gotten in on this.

Have fun at the class.
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 8:33:25 AM EDT
[#47]
As the payment date approaches? Are we all set? Where does payment have to be sent?

Thanks,

LUP
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#49]
All 10 people have been emailed the perticulars for mailing the MO's.

I already have GhostDocs MO so lets get them in ASAP.

Thanks,
RW3
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Ray, I just wanted to let you know your IM box is full, but I got your IM, and will send my MO out ASAP, and look forward to the class!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top