Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/9/2015 10:55:38 AM EST
http://www.outdoornews.com/January-2015/Deer-regs-changes-in-motion/

New York’s deer hunters can expect to see some regulations changes in 2015 that will focus on the protection of yearling bucks.

How that is accomplished remains to be seen, as DEC whitetail biologists move forward with a “Structured Decision-Making” process that includes a survey of hunters and the creation of management regions across the state that will be used in developing deer hunting regulations.

“I anticipate there will be changes,” DEC wildlife biologist Jeremy Hurst said last month as the process moved forward. “The survey presents a ‘no change’ option but I don’t suspect that will be the case.”

In September 2013 DEC officials unveiled the plan to use the decision-making process that blends whitetail management goals with hunter desires. But the challenges will be huge; although more hunters are passing on yearling bucks than ever before in New York, there remains a solid fraternity of hunters opposed to regulations changes such as mandatory antler restrictions.

more at link......

Not sure I'm happy about the shorter gun season

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:09:42 AM EST
There a reason for this? I didn't read in the article anything about the current regulations to be hurting the whitetail population. Or is it to increase it for year after?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:21:46 AM EST
I know a lot of people who shot spikes and buttons this year. That's not great for the population - I think more education on identifying button vs doe should be included in hunters safety and a 3 point One Side minimum for antlers is not a bad practice - looks like they are just leaning towards QDM.

With these rules in 5 years or so deer hunting in NY could be a lot more fun
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:23:51 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GrkShooter:
There a reason for this? I didn't read in the article anything about the current regulations to be hurting the whitetail population. Or is it to increase it for year after?
View Quote

Population base is solid but the big 3-5 year old bucks aren't out there as much as they should be.

If the population of "trophy" bucks goes up, hunting tourism in NY increases, and Andy's Open For hunting and fishing looks like a success.

The wildlife is a public trust that is worth a lot of money, this is investment protection
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:29:01 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/9/2015 11:29:51 AM EST by GrkShooter]
Originally Posted By highspeedforlife:

Population base is solid but the big 3-5 year old bucks aren't out there as much as they should be.

If the population of "trophy" bucks goes up, hunting tourism in NY increases, and Andy's Open For hunting and fishing looks like a success.

The wildlife is a public trust that is worth a lot of money, this is investment protection
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thought so. That would be the only justifiable reason for anything like this being implemented. Honestly, if that is the case, i think its a very good idea. Although I still hate the fact that sitting in a tree and waiting is called hunting. I know its mostly for background, so you don't shoot a deer and the round finds itself way down range from where the deer was hit and many other reasons, but meh....
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:29:16 AM EST
They could open coyote year round, that would help things.

I haven't seen a deer with three points per side in ten plus years.
Haven't seen a buck in 4 years.
Didn't see hide nor hair this year.
But hear the coyotes every night.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:37:07 AM EST
Also Black Bear is up and those savages eat fawns too.

And GrkShooter I stalk during bow and depending on where I am - a little bit during gun.

However I never shoot deer so take that for what it's worth. I eat a lot of goose.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:48:03 AM EST
Recurve or Compound? Highspeed

I still need to practice more on my recurve to be confident enough to stalk with it, that i need to practice with how the broadhead flies. I haven't hunted with bow so i don't own any blades, that and i can't practice with broadheads where im at.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:50:15 AM EST
Originally Posted By cas:

View Quote

I have been out hunting them. Been so cold I haven't in a week but i was going out every few nights.
Only shot one so far.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:50:35 AM EST
Just pushes me towards never hunting in NY again.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:52:27 AM EST
I'm a spear chucker

Compound. Soon to be an 80 or 90lb compound.

Can you use "pre-season" or practice broadheads? Montec makes some. Had a guy yell and scream at me while I was working PT at Gander telling me these broadheads are shit, won't break skin - sure enough the cheap bastard bought practice broadheads (half price of regular ones and labeled "For Practice Only" - not sharp)

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:53:57 AM EST
Originally Posted By Doppleganger871:
View Quote

Why? You love the small deer? Whole thing tastes like backstrap?

Buckshot429 found a wasted button this season during ARFHUNT. Shame.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:58:26 AM EST
I'm a spear chucker

Compound. Soon to be an 80 or 90lb compound.

Can you use "pre-season" or practice broadheads? Montec makes some. Had a guy yell and scream at me while I was working PT at Gander telling me these broadheads are shit, won't break skin - sure enough the cheap bastard bought practice broadheads (half price of regular ones and labeled "For Practice Only" - not sharp)

View Quote

Nice, i got me a 40lbs Bear Grizzly. Learning on that, i can get the into the red and yellow atleast once in every 3 shots. More than many times i get all 3 in yellow/red but i have to make it consistent. After an hour i start getting inconsistent due to fatigue, but im still very close to red/yellow on the target.

No joy, its all around from what i understand.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:03:47 PM EST
i hunt for meat.. not bones... but who cares if ny is open for fishing and hunting the communist just would be happy to do away with it.

Yep i can see gun season being reduced. Time to start reducing bow season for while also.. No reason to have a month in half in the southern zone and reduce there tag counts also.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:22:02 PM EST
Don't you touch my bow season.

Stop these gun hunting city boys.

And GrkShooter - accuracy should improve with a faster bow. My groups are pretty nice at 40-50 yards. 40 pounds is on the light side - it will kill a deer but you better not hit bone on the way in.

Similar idea to gun shooting - consistent movements produce accuracy.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:28:25 PM EST

And GrkShooter - accuracy should improve with a faster bow. My groups are pretty nice at 40-50 yards. 40 pounds is on the light side - it will kill a deer but you better not hit bone on the way in.

View Quote

True speed does increase accuracy, but im still working on my basics. Consistent positioning, pull, and release. 40lbs is on the light side but a 60-70# would be insane to practice with for as long as i do. I usually shoot for two hours with the 40lbs and my arms start shaking 1h30min in. The 70# will come soon though haha
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:29:06 PM EST

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Doppleganger871:

Just on general principle. I guess most of it is just not wanting to give any more money than absofuckinglutely necessary to NY.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:36:29 PM EST
I can dig that.

I wish I had time to shoot my bow that much. At this point it's monthly - maybe more in the summer.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:09:49 PM EST
I know a lot of people who shot spikes and buttons this year. That's not great for the population - I think more education on identifying button vs doe should be included in hunters safety and a 3 point One Side minimum for antlers is not a bad practice - looks like they are just leaning towards QDM.

With these rules in 5 years or so deer hunting in NY could be a lot more fun
View Quote

Idk many people who can tell a button from a doe at 100 yds to be honest. If you are looking for a nice tender deer you will take that shot.

Honest, no smart ass answer, how do you tell at a distance greater than 25?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:20:16 PM EST
2 Week shorter season in the northern zone? WTF is that about? Obviously they have never seen the difference in deer population between the northern and southern zone. If they made a longer muzzle loader season in the beginning when I can shoot anything maybe. But even then I wouldn't be happy. I don't bow hunt so that would mean a six week season up here. No thanks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:23:28 PM EST
while i hate to say this because i dont like any sort of restrictions, antler restrictions would be a huge help for NY.

im so sick and tired of these city idiots wacking anything they see. jesus christ if u must eat i understand, but let some of these deer grow up...
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:31:20 PM EST

View Quote

No bow season for you.. The Tyrant wants his deer for himself..
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:04:49 PM EST
During gun I always have solid glass - either on gun or binos.

On a solo deer there is no failsafe method, but curious looking singles during gun season tend to be buttons.

A button buck may be slightly larger in the front quarters while a doe tends towards more posterior size

I'm sure some old boys will chime in with a better answer but that's what I know
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:07:45 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:08:37 PM EST
During gun I always have solid glass - either on gun or binos.

On a solo deer there is no failsafe method, but curious looking singles during gun season tend to be buttons.

A button buck may be slightly larger in the front quarters while a doe tends towards more posterior size

I'm sure some old boys will chime in with a better answer but that's what I know
View Quote

I was never taught this. .. interesting.

I know with mule you just can't tell. They are too similar in coloring and shape.

My northern hunting skills pale in comparison to yours I see
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:12:10 PM EST
Haha if you killed a deer last year you are a better hunter than me. I just spend a lot of time reading and walking in the woods when I'm not trolling on here
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:14:42 PM EST
Personally I only like deer because that's some of the only quality time I got with my Dad recently.

I am a waterfowl nut
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:24:38 PM EST
Personally I only like deer because that's some of the only quality time I got with my Dad recently.

I am a waterfowl nut
View Quote

Oh holy shit, Highspeed has a soft side?!?!?!?!?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:24:58 PM EST

I am a waterfowl nut
View Quote

there are a lot of quacks in albany your all set.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:28:44 PM EST

View All Quotes

I am a waterfowl nut

If drinking whiskey and shooting pool at night and walking through the woods with a gun during the day is a soft side, then yes.

I've hung out with a few of the guys from here. Heck some of them are even my buddies
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:42:18 PM EST
Shhhhhh you aren't suppose to say that on here!!!!

I wouldn't doubt it man, you guys seem cool. I am actually going to shooting tomorrow morning out in LI to test out the new stock and practice abit.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:48:14 PM EST
Never been to long island. I have a bunch of fraternity brothers down there - they all seem to do MMA.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:54:55 PM EST
Tried MMA, i got bad back. That and every trainer told me i have the strongest kick out of all their students and i don't feel like causing anyone harm

Now you know someone who shoots lmao let me know if you are ever down this way
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:55:02 PM EST
what the fuck have you guys done to my thread? next you'll all be hugging and kissing

enough of this lovely dovey shit.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:58:35 PM EST
Originally Posted By Ciraxis:
what the fuck have you guys done to my thread? next you'll all be hugging and kissing

enough of this lovely dovey shit.
View Quote

Remember that time you almost hid in the bed of my truck at Target? And that time that 41magluva fell in love with my beard on Erie Blvd?

This place breeds bromance.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:03:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/9/2015 3:04:40 PM EST by GrkShooter]
I said for him to join me to go shooting, im not sure what shooting you are into there Ciraxis

That was one detail less then a twilight love story....
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:40:29 PM EST
Haha if you killed a deer last year you are a better hunter than me. I just spend a lot of time reading and walking in the woods when I'm not trolling on here
View Quote

One button

Honestly I've tried to bag at least one <2 year old deer ever year because I find the meat is much more tender.

But that was all. Had 3 total in the crosshairs this year, but didn't take the other two shots due to brush interference and due to the fact that I was shaking right after I pegged the button and the other button/ doe didn't move.

But I digress
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:46:38 PM EST
41magluva shot 3 in under 5 seconds. My lack of deer balances the ecosystem.

My dad and brother shoot small deer. I find if you marinade anything in something acid or spicy it tenderizes
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 4:01:18 PM EST
I've shot button bucks and felt bad about it afterwards (though it was good eating). But with only a couple seconds to react and act, there was no way to tell.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 4:04:59 PM EST
Hey its completely legal.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:12:36 PM EST
education on letting the smaller ones walk would be what id like. I have shot some smaller ones and some nice ones. not up to the government to decide for me what I can and cannot shoot. I have gone seasons without seeing a buck and some times I see many. this year I got two bucks and three doe. one doe was small and I felt bad about it afterwards but she will eat good. the bow buck I got was one I let walk before and on the last weekend I decided to take him after not seeing any of the nicer bucks for a while. MY CHOICE!! if people want to let them grow up then that is their choice. start killing off those nasty coyotes and maybe some more deer would survive to adulthood.

this coyote came into me this year while a yearling buck stood in front of me, shot over him to get her, don't know if she was after the buck or not but she won't eat any more deer!
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:28:46 AM EST
Wow, rules changes between WMU regions. That sounds like an easy plan to comply with. Sounds like they've bought into the QDM BS.........or to discourage hunting altogether by making it so convoluted and restrictive, shortened seasons that there will be less hunters in future years....

As much as some don't like the hunters that take small/young deer, I find the bone collector crowd to be just as detrimental. A mix of age classes needs to be harvested IMO, this trophy hunting BS is NOT about wildlife management. I tend to take mature deer, 2.5 y.o. +, but I should be able choose what I harvest using my discretion, experience and what is in front of me. Last season I took a button buck with the ML because it had a wounded leg, passing on a beautiful 3+ eight pointer. If it were illegal to harvest the button, or I just hunted to put another trophy on the wall what the heck good is it doing for the deer management to leave the button for the coyotes.....it least in my scenario one of the bucks had a chance to survive the winter..... My regular season buck was a 3.5 six point, skinny rack, NOT outside the ears. But he dressed at 170#+ and tasted great. Judging deer herds strictly by antler development is not good wildlife management in my eyes.

I don't like more restrictions, less opportunity and don't for one minute believe this plan is about expanding the sport. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:43:30 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 8:37:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/10/2015 8:38:35 PM EST by sitdwnandhngon]
There are plenty of mature deer in our area, they are smart as hell though, so it takes some work or a big food plot to get them.

I prefer to just shoot what walks out first and get my tags filled, I don't have any fun trying to bag antlers.

They will probably introduce restrictions for gunners too, but not bow hunters, might even cut the season and give the bow hunters even more time. If they pass any regs I want to see them passed across the board to all seasons.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:15:55 AM EST
hmm.. alot of deer getting hit by cars by me.. shortening the season seems sensible.... Not really
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 6:14:48 AM EST
Originally Posted By cas:

View Quote

Where are you in the state
That might have a huge impact on what you're seeing
They're all over the place here and quite frankly I wish people would come take more of ours so we have fewer car deer collisions
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:52:18 AM EST
TC are out near Ithaca? Cayuga heights?
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 9:12:13 AM EST
TC are out near Ithaca? Cayuga heights?
View Quote

The whole county is over-run
The Heights is simply the biggest problem because the Duncan Hines Parks family heirs are funding the retarded no-kill / sterilization movement
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 9:28:42 AM EST
Anyone want to hunt Buttermilk Falls with me?
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 9:39:27 AM EST
Anyone want to hunt Buttermilk Falls with me?
View Quote

How desperate are you for venison?
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 9:41:28 AM EST
Pretty hard up. Shot nothing this year.

Is it that bad? Packed with hunters and hippies protesting?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top