Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2006 11:28:15 AM EDT
Hi, i'm new here, obviously, and i just recently bought or well my brother just recently bought a reciever of a SLW-15 or something like that. I was wondering if that's the same as having an AR-15 type reciever and if it's possible to build it to look like ggllggll's build
http://matt1234.home.bresnan.net/5ars.JPG
(2nd from the right)
If so, about how much would it cost. And also roughly how much would a decent but cheap price build be (in all black)
thanks in advanced.
-Jon
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Right now you are limited to a ten-round FIXED magazine. You can dress the rest of the rifle up like the one pictured above (I don't know how much that would be).

Should the DOJ eventually ban your receiver, and you then follow the law and register the rifle as an assault weapon, you will be able to convert the firearm to use detachable magazines - including all of those full-capacity ones you probably bought before the magazine ban went into effect.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:22:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Would i be able to register it under my name after the ban? like from my brother's name to my name. reason i ask this is because i don't want to be shooting it without my brother being at my side and get caught.  Or is CAlifornia Über retarded and won't allow that.
-Jon
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#4]
reply to leelaw's post:
So if the law passes i am allowed to have the rifle with a detachable magazine but if it doesn't i'm stuck with a fixed, suck on one?
-Jon
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#5]
yes, that is correct. fingers x'ed they do ban it
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#6]
was at a FFL today,  big Poster on the wall stating:

i have til APRIL 30TH, 2006 to Register my 50 cal rifle.

so, theoretically, all this hype about the new AW registration for all the stripped AR lowers, whether its gonna happen or not is pretty much a dead issue?

JUST register your lowers as a 50cal by April 30th? once registered under the "50 cal" AW registration, u can modify/alter the upper/caliber configuration?

sorry if these question has been posted before.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

so, theoretically, all this hype about the new AW registration for all the stripped AR lowers, whether its gonna happen or not is pretty much a dead issue?

JUST register your lowers as a 50cal by April 30th? once registered under the "50 cal" AW registration, u can modify/alter the upper/caliber configuration?

What?? NO WAY! The receivers SAY ".223/5.56" caliber on them! They DO NOT say .50 cal
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe, but what about the 2000 dollar 50 cal upper?  Just cause you call it a duck don't mean it's a duck, it's still gotta quack.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!NO!N!ON!O!N!!O!NO!NO!!!1!!1!one!!!

Do what AKJunkie says and you should expect some prison time!

.50BMGs are SEPARATE from Assault Weapons, and registering a firearm as a .50 will NOT protect you in ANY WAY if you later add features, turning it into an AW.

Again, .50BMGs are NOT Assault Weapons They are categorized as their own type of firearm, which is why the .50BMG ban, when added to current AW legislation, specifically mentions them SEPARATELY from AWs.

ETA: it has nothing to do with what the markings on the receiver says. If you have a .50BMG ONLY receiver, you NEED to register it. If you have an AR-15 style (ala FAB-10, Etc..) receiver and you want to have the capability to use a .50BMG upper on it at a later point, you should register it (as the law goes, you are supposed to have had it configured as a .50BMG before Jan 1, 2005 anyways.. I'm not suggesting to fudge that - it would be violating the law). The only way that AWs come into play is that IF you ALREADY HAVE an AW, you may put a .50BMG upper on it, without having to register it as a .50BMG. THAT'S IT.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I think I found the question in there.....

No, you can't register it as a 50 BMG.

Yes, the registration for the 50 BMG is closing in April.  However, you needed to own the firearm before Jan. 1, 2005.  On Jan 1, 2005 it became illegal to import, sell, or transfer a 50 BMG weapon in California.

Also, the caliber on the receiver doesn't matter.  When the Registration period in 2000 happened for "Assault Weapons" many people listed multiple calibers on the registration card.  It's a non-issue what it says on the receiver, but what appears to matter is what you put on the form.  With multiple calibers listed the registration came back with "8888" as the caliber and they were free to configure them as they like.  Honestly, even if you registered one with 5.56/.223 and put a 6.8 upper on it, I don't think anyone would ever care, you registered it and you own it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#11]
But can i register it after the ban? like change it from my brother's name to my name...title transfer
-Jon
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:36:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
But can i register it after the ban? like change it from my brother's name to my name...title transfer
-Jon

Once an assault weapon is registered, it can not be transfered into someone else's name (unless they're out of state, in which case, just transfer it to them, but you won't get it back.)

After the DOJ declares a receiver an assault weapon, it can no longer be bought/sold/traded/given/etc, for that matter.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I found the question in there.....

No, you can't register it as a 50 BMG.

Yes, the registration for the 50 BMG is closing in April.  However, you needed to own the firearm before Jan. 1, 2005.  On Jan 1, 2005 it became illegal to import, sell, or transfer a 50 BMG weapon in California.

Also, the caliber on the receiver doesn't matter.  When the Registration period in 2000 happened for "Assault Weapons" many people listed multiple calibers on the registration card.  It's a non-issue what it says on the receiver, but what appears to matter is what you put on the form.  With multiple calibers listed the registration came back with "8888" as the caliber and they were free to configure them as they like.  Honestly, even if you registered one with 5.56/.223 and put a 6.8 upper on it, I don't think anyone would ever care, you registered it and you own it.

Halfmoon,

thanks for answering my QUESTION.  didnt realize during teh 2000 registration you could list multiple calibers.. thats the first i've heard of it.  i've been wanting to add a 9mm upper on one of my receivers.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
-Jon

Once an assault weapon is registered, it can not be transfered into someone else's name (unless they're out of state, in which case, just transfer it to them, but you won't get it back.)

After the DOJ declares a receiver an assault weapon, it can no longer be bought/sold/traded/given/etc, for that matter.

oh dammit, thank you.
-Jon
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#15]
PLEASE READ THE ONE AND ONLY FAQ!!!!!

Click here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top