Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2022 11:18:07 AM EDT
Who drew what?

My grandson drew youth deer and we both drew Cow elk late season.

About DAMN time!
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:47:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I drew a blank this year, so I guess plan B will be dorado fishing in Mexico.
Tom
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 12:21:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Blank here
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing this year.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 1:12:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Friend got a bull elk
He had a big ol smile
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:58:35 PM EDT
[#5]
My brother drew a doe tag in area 6. So i won't get trigger time but I'll be hunting with him.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 1:58:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Brother in law got antlerless deer, I got late spike, and my niece pulled a youth muley tag, her first ever.  Looking forward to it, she'll be 12 this weekend and is really excited to go.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By crapshoot:
Who drew what?

My grandson drew youth deer and we both drew Cow elk late season.

About DAMN time!
View Quote

cool man, I have only eaten venision and elk once, both were good. this may be a dumb question but, NV deer, is there any taste differences  on the population of game here versus other states?
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:49:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: crapshoot] [#8]
As far as mule deer goes, probably not. Biggest difference will be between animals that have grazed in field smoke their life as opposed to eating sage most of their life. And of course those shot while rutting.

Female or young male will almost always be more tender and better eating.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 12:13:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
As far as mule deer goes, probably not. Biggest difference will be between animals that have grazed in field smoke their life as opposed to eating sage most of their life. And of course those shot while rutting.

View Quote

To add to this, a quick kill and cooling the meat quickly make a very big difference in taste as well. I've turned several people who said NV sage fed mulies taste gamey as hell. They all went back for seconds of my muley that was sage fed and it wasn't even backstraps.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I got Woolly Rhinoceros  

Link Posted: 5/25/2022 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 07yzryder:

To add to this, a quick kill and cooling the meat quickly make a very big difference in taste as well. I've turned several people who said NV sage fed mulies taste gamey as hell. They all went back for seconds of my muley that was sage fed and it wasn't even backstraps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 07yzryder:

And actually knowing how to prepare and cook game meat helps a lot too. This ain't beef and you can't treat it as such.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By PvtCowboy:
I got Woolly Rhinoceros  

View Quote

Them sombitches are hard to come by. Good luck on your hunt.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#13]

And actually knowing how to prepare and cook game meat helps a lot too. This ain't beef and you can't treat it as such.
View Quote

i never learned growing up in the gay area as a kid.  i have hunted dove,quail, and pleasant before shot 410s. just never big game. i would like to learn, recommend any disabled vet friendly guides? no way i can ruck with 100lb+ pack anymore.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:35:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: crapshoot] [#14]
Can't recommend any guides as I've never used any.  NDOW does some cooking pod casts from time to time. Meat eater has a good cookbook for game animals and meat handling.

My ruck is rarely over 20#. The hope is go in light,  come out heavy.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 2:54:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 47hooker:

i never learned growing up in the gay area as a kid.  i have hunted dove,quail, and pleasant before shot 410s. just never big game. i would like to learn, recommend any disabled vet friendly guides? no way i can ruck with 100lb+ pack anymore.
View Quote
Hank Shaw has a whole series of amazing wild game cookbooks.  I've found them used on Amazon several times.  Well worth the cost.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Can't recommend any guides as I've never used any.  NDOW does some cooking pod casts from time to time. Meat eater has a good cookbook for game animals and meat handling.

My ruck is rarely over 20#. The hope is go in light,  come out heavy.
View Quote

for sure.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:39:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Wife, friend, and I all got area 10 antlered mule deer.

Time to start spending an hour a day on the step mill. Hoping to not repeat my last area 10 performance where I rolled my ankle and fell into a clump of cacti 3 miles and 3500 feet in elevation from the truck
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

A land owner tag where you could sit over a food plot or water hole might benefit you but will cost you financially.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#19]

A land owner tag where you could sit over a food plot or water hole might benefit you but will cost you financially.
View Quote

I am looking into land at the moment, I  do  not want to be so fucking in BFE that the commute to the VA is crazy.  but who knows might even decide to punch out of the state and go else where unless the housing market takes a  huge shit (reset) and I can afford something at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been redeemed. Wyoming HSTE Antelope tags for son and myself.
Tom
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Any stick flingers poke a hole in anything yet?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Did some scouting.

Damn I need to be less fat in the next 6 weeks before the hunt

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm not seeing any critters in those pics.  

I hear ya  about being less fat.  I don't scout anymore.  No point in setting an animal i can't shoot. Just makes me want to do illegal things.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#24]
[b]Originally Posted By crapshoot:[/b]
I'm not seeing any critters in those pics.  

I hear ya  about being less fat.  I don't scout anymore.  No point in setting an animal i can't shoot. Just makes me want to do illegal things.
View Quote

They are hiding

Mainly went up to figure out where to camp, and to get out of Reno for a couple days. Now I have 6 weeks to get in a bit better shape and dial in my backpack setup.

Really need to get my wife to shoot her rifle more too. Myself included.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 10:10:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cazador223] [#25]
I just got home from taking my neighbor on his Antelope hunt. We originally went 2 weeks ago and had planned on hunting for 4 days, but
he got sick during the first night and we had to come home. This trip, we arrived about 6 am spotted this guy shortly after, made a quick stalk,
and by 6:45 it was down. Funny thing is that he had a chance to shoot this same antelope 2 weeks ago, but I wouldn't let him. I said
that it was too small to shoot in the first 10 minutes of a 4 day hunt.
TLDR:
We drove 14 hours round trip to hunt 45 minutes.

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:42:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Cazador223:
I just got home from taking my neighbor on his Antelope hunt. We originally went 2 weeks ago and had planned on hunting for 4 days, but
he got sick during the first night and we had to come home. This trip, we arrived about 6 am spotted this guy shortly after, made a quick stalk,
and by 6:45 it was down. Funny thing is that he had a chance to shoot this same antelope 2 weeks ago, but I wouldn't let him. I said
that it was too small to shoot in the first 10 minutes of a 4 day hunt.
TLDR:
We drove 14 hours round trip to hunt 45 minutes.
https://imgdump5.novarata.net/4sywly.jpg
View Quote
Great goat for that area, congratulations to your neighbor.  Did you have any trouble with the bugs?
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 7:45:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Congratulations on the goat.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally posted by turbobrick:
congratulations to your neighbor
View Quote

Thanks for the info and good luck on your Spike hunt.
Did you have any trouble with the bugs?
View Quote

We Didn't see a single bug and only 2 other groups of hunters.

Originally posted by Crapshoot:
Congratulations on the goat.
View Quote

Thanks.
Tom
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#29]
My wife got her buck 20 minutes into opening day after my friend got his 7 minutes in. 377 yards Seekin Havak Element in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 143 ELD-X hand load. She hit further back than she should, but it dropped like it was hit by lightning.

Mel really likes shooting smaller deer and has always put in for doe tags. This was the smallest buck we saw, so she took it

It was her first buck, wishing it was smaller because packing it the 1.2 miles back to camp then 2.3 miles to the truck was fun.

Now that they have their deer I’m going back out solo on Friday for my tag. I passed on several bucks because I am being very picky. If I’m going to pack it out, it has to be worth it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 4:41:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UV18] [#30]
Originally Posted By meestermurphy:
My wife got her buck 20 minutes into opening day after my friend got his 7 minutes in. 377 yards Seekin Havak Element in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 143 ELD-X hand load. She hit further back than she should, but it dropped like it was hit by lightning.

Mel really likes shooting smaller deer and has always put in for doe tags. This was the smallest buck we saw, so she took it

It was her first buck, wishing it was smaller because packing it the 1.2 miles back to camp then 2.3 miles to the truck was fun.

Now that they have their deer I’m going back out solo on Friday for my tag. I passed on several bucks because I am being very picky. If I’m going to pack it out, it has to be worth it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/79922/AC9C049B-6B6F-4414-A747-DD9E0C41EF5B_jpe-2549173.JPG
View Quote

@meestermurphy

Where at in area 10? Trying to find a new spot since the horse herd destroyed my secret spot and the deer have all ghosted. Heading back up in a couple of days. I could care less about my tag, but my boy got his first tag.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By UV18:

@meestermurphy

Where at in area 10? Trying to find a new spot since the horse herd destroyed my secret spot and the deer have all ghosted. Heading back up in a couple of days. I could care less about my tag, but my boy got his first tag.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By meestermurphy:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/79922/AC9C049B-6B6F-4414-A747-DD9E0C41EF5B_jpe-2549173.JPG

@meestermurphy

Asking a man where he hunts ( other than general unit #)....
You might as well be asking to screw his wife or first born daughter.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Sometimes you have to roll the dice
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#33]
@meestermurphy
Congratulations to your wife on her first buck and good luck to you on your solo hunt.

Tom
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:18:50 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

@UV18

Check your IM’s, link with data and stuff sent
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 1:39:06 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes
I got Woolly Rhinoceros  

Got out to Lamoille Canyon up in the remnant glacier of the Ruby Mountains and didn't see evidence of a single one.  

Not so much as a turd.  Done with this nonsense.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Got out to Lamoille Canyon up in the remnant glacier of the Ruby Mountains and didn't see evidence of a single one.  

View All Quotes
I got Woolly Rhinoceros  

The DOW (and the sudden popularity of hunting) has done a great job of removing large amounts of game throughout the state of Nevada.

While I am rarely unsuccessful, I'm really not liking the increased pressure over the last 10 or so years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top