Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2015 2:42:55 PM EDT
Anyone live in Nelson County?

Wife and I are looking for a second piece of property in Nelson County, something with a cabin and maybe 10-20 acres.  Looking for a bug-out location, weekend fun spot, place to stay when going to Wintergreen, and somewhere I can SHOOT.  We are looking at Tyro, Crabtree Falls, etc - something well away from people/neighborhoods.

I've read several things about zoning, complaints, etc.  Does anyone know if I buy something way out in the woods/mountains, presumably zoned Agricultural, can I shoot on my property without complaints and the Sheriff showing up????

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:47:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I think Danny is from Nelson.  I'm in Amherst, just south of the border.  Beautiful county, but high real estate.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag for especially relevant info to my interests.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:26:44 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a ugly county, a Dem county.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep, it's a beautiful county, but the type of growth would concern me if I wanted to have a gun range, plenty of antis.  Nelson is also very organized on matters like the NG pipeline, so there is already a developed social structure/activism route that could challenge your noise pollution, potential environmental matters, and simply the fact many aren't gonna like you.   As mentioned, go to Amherst, just as pretty, much more affordable and the people are decent.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I just bought land w/ a cabin in Amherst.A lot things to do a little south of Nelson & just as pretty.30 miles south of Wintergreen.see my thread.One of the members here knows someone w/ a place for sale.Maybe he'll chime in.I found this place while looking for mine.Va MLS#289324. It has a small range.It might have a hoa.might want to check.Not a bad price.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Found it, thanks.

So Amherst is better in terms of gun laws?  

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just bought land w/ a cabin in Amherst.A lot things to do a little south of Nelson & just as pretty.30 miles south of Wintergreen.see my thread.One of the members here knows someone w/ a place for sale.Maybe he'll chime in.I found this place while looking for mine.Va MLS#289324. It has a small range.It might have a hoa.might want to check.Not a bad price.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Found it, thanks.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Found it, thanks.

Quoted:

They are the same in terms of laws, you just might like your neighbors better.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Tag for especially relevant info to my interests.
View Quote

Another tag.

I was just in Nelson and Amherst this past weekend. I really like being up there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:41:07 PM EDT
[#9]
That map showing Longwood as the reason that it's a blue county is incorrect.

The map makers need to look at the fallout from Brown v. Board of Education, as it related to Prince Edward County in the late 1960's, and the racial tensions that have existed since.

Longwood doesn't have as much impact as race relations do in that county.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top