Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 9/11/2010 9:23:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2010 9:24:17 PM EDT by OklahomaSam]
Yep, active duty G.I. across the street got his door kicked-in in the middle of the day Thursday. Took his brand new T.V. (more about that in a second) computers, gaming systems, and some other stuff. Thieves hit during a two-hour block when his wife is normally out. Coincidence?

The T.V. was professionally installed in the last couple weeks, so the rest of us (the neighbors) think the installers cased the house while inside and passed the info on to their buddies or did it themselves.

The day after the break-in, I drove by his house, he had the garage door wide open as usual with a big-screen T.V. box in plain view.

There are no blinds on his garage windows which allows thieves to know if both the vehicles are gone.

They probably told the business their daily schedule when setting up the install appointment so it made the B&E an almost zero-risk operation.

No storm doors to create a initial barrier.

We both live fairly deep into our development, and the thieves could've stopped at any of a dozen or more houses on their way in, but they were apparently intent on his. This lends credibility to the installer connection.

I feel bad for the guy and I really hate thieves, but I wish he would practice better OPSEC.

I'm normally on the lookout for strange vehicles or people and will be more vigilant now because they might hit him again after they figure insurance has replaced the stolen items.

Anyone recommend a surveillance system they have first-hand experience with? Something with night-vision that has a stand-alone DVR that I can start and forget about?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:42:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2010 9:45:38 PM EDT by CoyoteGray]
I was at Home Depot at NW Expressway & Council today around 3pm.

I had a military trailer with two 3kw generators mounted. As I pulled into the parking spot I noticed a guy dribbling a basketball in the parking area where contractors park.
This didn't fit. I parked and kept watching him. I removed the part from the generator I needed to match and walked in. I stopped just inside and watched him through the window.

He walked right over and started looking the generators. I kept watching. Then he started to try and remove one of the fuel caps. I walked out the door and started towards him. As soon as I walked out the door he turned and walked away from the trailer fast going north towards NW Expressway. He had his back to me the entire time.

What I think was going on.. He and an accomplice were casing the area for tools and trailers. He was wearing a ball cap, sun glasses and what looked like head phones. I think the headphones were for a phone or radio and his partner was watching the door and told him I was coming.

White, about 6 feet tall, slim, 17-20 or so. Wearing a striped polo shirt, jeans, sunglasses and ball cap.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:54:42 AM EDT
My son had one of his employees lose his car at Lowes on Memorial across from Quail Springs Mall.
Somebody ripped it off out of the parking lot near the front doors around mid day.
I had some SOB steal a GPS out of my truck a month or so ago in my drive way.
I got lucky. They didn't check under the back seat for the rifle I had there.
A silent alarm went off two houses down last summer.
Don't ask me why, but the cop tried to open my front door.
I jumped up and opened it with a gun in my hand.
He told me about the alarm.
We checked houses on either side of me and across the street. The officer got the call but wasn't given an exact address.
One neighbor came out when we were in his back yard.
The rest just stayed in the houses. They were afraid to come out I guess.
I live in a nice neighborhood but the majority of folks would just watch a rip off or burglary going down on another neighbor and not do anything.
At the homeowner's association meeting, they tried to get a neighborhood watch going. Even the people that yell the loudest about having one won't volunteer.
I mean NO ONE (other than me) wanted anything to do with it but still scream we need one.
I quit going to HOA meetings because i got tired of telling them what hypocrites they are when it come to being a "neighbor".
I'll say the average income in my neighborhood is well over $100K a year.
Ain't that the drizzlin' sh*ts?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:05:58 AM EDT
yep, that's the thought I get when a business calls and offers to do a "no strings attached" estimate for like roofing, siding, windows, carpet, hvac etc.

a while back in my addition a house got completely cleaned out when the owners were at work, the burglers had to have had a moving truck/van or the like because the way I understood they'd even rolled the carpets up, but no one seen anything, mostly because most of the neighbors were a work, but I imagine it had to take a good portion of the day to steal everything.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:22:11 AM EDT
Where at in Elgin?

What about the stellar Elgin PD? Karl busy, was he?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:53:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2010 10:56:31 AM EDT by OklahomaSam]
Originally Posted By Chucks1911:
Where at in Elgin?

What about the stellar Elgin PD? Karl busy, was he?

We're north of the storage business on 277.

Carl/Karl(sp?) was nice enough to come by the very next day and personally ask me to report anything suspicious. Anything at all.

I wish my dog could talk, she sees everything going on through a little gap in the blinds and barks up a storm. She saw what happened for sure.

I really want to install a surveillance system, not only would it be practical, it would also appeal to my general paranoia and naturally suspicious nature.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:33:54 PM EDT
Foogas and claymores. The only way to set up a proper perimeter

Delivery from Lawton, I bet. Elgin is no longer the small town it used to be. Lots of imports from Lawton.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:44:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By OklahomaSam:

.....I really want to install a surveillance system, not only would it be practical, it would also appeal to my general paranoia and naturally suspicious nature.

My wife has balked at both installing a security system and a standby generator.
I'm only talking about dropping $10 to 12K or so with a 12KW natural gas powered generator and an 8 camera system capable of being monitored over the web.
The biggest chunk is the genset and auto switch. When I out lined the cost, monthly start up and resetting the clocks, etc. she got all ticked off.
The security system she doesn't think necessary. She seems to think I'm pretty good at it with just a 38 Sp in my pocket.
If I set the cameras like I want, I'd have some record of the c*ck s*cker who broke into my truck.

As far as the security cameras, my son has a set up like that in his store so he can actually monitor his employees with his Ipod when he's not there. He caught one of his ass't managers palming a $100 bill on camera and had to fire him.
So I guess it serves a purpose.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:02:22 PM EDT
Foogas and claymores. The only way to set up a proper perimeter

Delivery from Lawton, I bet. Elgin is no longer the small town it used to be. Lots of imports from Lawton.

AFAIK it was a delivery from Lawton.

Foogas is great stuff but it would make my neighborhood look like that one with the gas pipeline explosion in california.

And for the record, the neighbor has his garage wide the fuck open again.

We have the same garage door opener system, I might buy another clicker and see if I can shut it for him.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:17:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By danc46:

.....I really want to install a surveillance system, not only would it be practical, it would also appeal to my general paranoia and naturally suspicious nature.

My wife has balked at both installing a security system and a standby generator.
I'm only talking about dropping $10 to 12K or so with a 12KW natural gas powered generator and an 8 camera system capable of being monitored over the web.
The biggest chunk is the genset and auto switch. When I out lined the cost, monthly start up and resetting the clocks, etc. she got all ticked off.
The security system she doesn't think necessary. She seems to think I'm pretty good at it with just a 38 Sp in my pocket.
If I set the cameras like I want, I'd have some record of the c*ck s*cker who broke into my truck.

As far as the security cameras, my son has a set up like that in his store so he can actually monitor his employees with his Ipod when he's not there. He caught one of his ass't managers palming a $100 bill on camera and had to fire him.

The genset's what I'd like to have, but the money isn't there. First priority is focusing on protecting what's ours.

I just need a simple four to six camera system so that I can put one on each corner looking down the length of the house on each side, and maybe a dome in the house, maybe another at the front door. The cameras alone are a deterrent just by being there and it's a benefit to the whole street.

If I had a system in place it's likely the thieves or their vehicle would've been on tape.

I need to look at this more seriously. I figure a good day's work installing cameras, running cable, and securing a steel container in a cabinet to hold the DVR would be worth the effort. Maybe I could pay an installer to do it.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:27:46 PM EDT

The genset's what I'd like to have, but the money isn't there. First priority is focusing on protecting what's ours.

I just need a simple four to six camera system so that I can put one on each corner looking down the length of the house on each side, and maybe a dome in the house, maybe another at the front door. The cameras alone are a deterrent just by being there and it's a benefit to the whole street.

If I had a system in place it's likely the thieves or their vehicle would've been on tape.

I need to look at this more seriously. I figure a good day's work installing cameras, running cable, and securing a steel container in a cabinet to hold the DVR would be worth the effort. Maybe I could pay an installer to do it.

Even a couple of simple harbor freight cameras and monitor would have a deterrent effect, I'd think.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:33:05 PM EDT
Harbor Freight sells a fake camera that you install batteries in. It will have a small blinking red LED in the fake camera housing that is visible to those looking at it.
It works to deter others.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:37:31 PM EDT
I thought about dummy cameras, but to have the police and victim get all excited because they think it might be recorded only to find out the cameras are fake would be a huge let-down.

If I'm going to put a system in, it's going to work.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:23:32 PM EDT
I wasn't referring to dummy cameras. I knew a guy some years ago in Lawton who had a couple of the HF cheapo cameras hooked up to a monitor. His didn't record, but the way tech has evolved, I'm sure you could find some that are resonable that do record now.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:18:49 PM EDT
I wasn't referring to dummy cameras. I knew a guy some years ago in Lawton who had a couple of the HF cheapo cameras hooked up to a monitor. His didn't record, but the way tech has evolved, I'm sure you could find some that are resonable that do record now.

You can buy 2 CCTV cameras and hard drive recorder for under $300 at Harbor Freight.
You can also buy an entire 8 channel security system (8 cameras) and video recorder from Sams for under $1000. I can't tell you about quality or video clarity but they do have IR cameras with the systems.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:11:17 PM EDT
Get a couple barking dogs...and post 'Beware of Dogs' signs.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:00:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 17Z:
Get a couple barking dogs...and post 'Beware of Dogs' signs.

Originally Posted By Oklahomasam:
I wish my dog could talk, she sees everything going on through a little gap in the blinds and barks up a storm. She saw what happened for sure.

RIF
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:26:16 PM EDT
Got dog already?...post signs....as long as the dog sounds mean, and is big enough to chew nut-sack...don't have to be mean...get a couple dogs if it was me.

Serious...I used to live next door to meth-heads...they hate barking dogs..especialy ones that may bite...
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:16:18 PM EDT
Its a shame you can't just shoot a thief over property.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:32:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 4:33:18 AM EDT by danc46]
Originally Posted By DrJester:

If someone has broken into my home (or my truck) and is in the process of stealing my loaded firearms, I'm afraid if I catch them they could shoot me.
What do you think I should and would do?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:08:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DrJester:

If someone has broken into my home (or my truck) and is in the process of stealing my loaded firearms, I'm afraid if I catch them they could shoot me.
What do you think I should and would do?

Put in a ventilation system
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:49:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 9:50:22 AM EDT by Chucks1911]
$224 with 20% off coupon applied for 4 cameras and DVR

Seems like what you need. Probably fit in your saddlebags for the ride back from OKC too

Ride to the city for your new goodies=win/win
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:44:38 PM EDT

Seems like what you need. Probably fit in your saddlebags for the ride back from OKC too

Needs higher resolution.

This is what I need...

Security system

Upgrade the cameras to the **E** option for better resolution and increase the hard drive from 250GB to 1 TB.

It records in color, has audio, and can be programmed to start recording on motion detection, and I can install a 60KV green laser.

Gotta have resolution, pictures ain't no good if you can't tell what they look like.

Anyone want to lend me 1124.00 dollars?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:20:07 PM EDT
Not only do you need to worry about resolution, but also their night vision capabilities with the IR and the angle of vision.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:36:27 PM EDT
makes me wish I could afford IP ptz cams with IR, a dvr with 14 day hold at 30fpm.

these new IP cams that are all the rage are damn near crystel clear on playback and allow you to digital zoom on playback with surprizingly clearity.

of course an "old" high end analog cam is damn clear too, but zoom on playback isn't all that great.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:11:45 AM EDT

I have one of the cameras from this set. If you want a view from dawn to dusk it's OK, but don't depend on the "infrared" capability to see what's going on at night. They don't quote sensitivity for this camera in the specs, and that's not accidental.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:27:29 PM EDT
Sam, I got a brother that lives in that new housing area that is north of the storage units there. He is a retired Army guy but leaving his garage open sounds like something he would do. Maybe I should call and see if it was him. Tell him to close his damn garage door.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:00:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:
Sam, I got a brother that lives in that new housing area that is north of the storage units there. He is a retired Army guy but leaving his garage open sounds like something he would do. Maybe I should call and see if it was him. Tell him to close his damn garage door.

This neighbor isn't retired.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:05:22 AM EDT

Needs higher resolution.

This is what I need...

Security system

Upgrade the cameras to the **E** option for better resolution and increase the hard drive from 250GB to 1 TB.

It records in color, has audio, and can be programmed to start recording on motion detection, and I can install a 60KV green laser.

Gotta have resolution, pictures ain't no good if you can't tell what they look like.

Anyone want to lend me 1124.00 dollars?

Champagne taste, beer wallet
Top Top