Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 10:06:31 AM EDT
Hey guys, my sister is moving to Yonkers/Bronx this weekend and I'm looking to visit her in early November. I need some help from the locals and those that know on where is best to fly into. I'm from San Diego and will be taking a business trip to Tampa at that time and would like to work visiting her in NYC into the trip. I really don't know a whole lot about NYC, I think I was 4 yeas old the only time I've been there.
 From what I can see, it appears that LaGuardia is the closer airport, and its less expensive to fly into/out of there. But I've heard that its a difficult airport to get to. If I have to fly into JFK it may make the flights too expensive to make the trip and the times are less conveinent. She won't have a car so I'll probably have to take the subway from the airport or maybe a cab to get to her place.
 What do you all recommend? Obviously, I'm trying to keep the cost down. Thanks for your help!

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#1]
LaGuardia is your best bet if you don't have a car. Pilots hate flying into LaGuardia because the short runways that extend into the water leave very little room for error.

Any landing that doesn't require you to swim from the plane is a good landing. I've flown out of LaGuardia dozens of times and it is always amusing to see people who have never landed at LaGuardia start freaking out when they think da plane is landing in the bay.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:15:31 PM EDT
[#3]
LaGuardia is definitely your best for Bronx/Yonkers though if you can get a good fare to Westchester County airport you will at least be on the mainland.  You could get a cab from the airport to a railroad station on the Metro North Harlem line and take that down.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:34:08 PM EDT
[#4]
There are 5 airports that would work for you LGA is the closest.  If you have to take a cab up to Yonkers it is going to be expensive.  If  someone is picking you up your set.  Another alternative is to get car service.  You get a town car or caddy and it usually is cheaper than a cab.  Ask your sister she may know of a good one.
You can also fly into White Plains which is north of Yonkers.  Southwest flies into ISP (long island, Islip) cheap flights.  ISP is about 1 hour drive from Yonkers.  Renting a car is going to a lot cheaper from ISP than the NYC airpots.  JFK way south of LGA.  The new Air Train connect direct into JFK from the Jamacia LIRR railroad station and several subway stops.  The Air Train is really nice.  If you really want to punish yourself you can fly into Newark, NJ.  That would be my absolute last choice for you.
If it were me I would fly into LGA and get car service.  You can call up one of the hotels in NYC (Marriot, etc) and ask them to recommend a car service.
If you want good Italian food head to Arthur Ave in the Bronx.  Good Luck!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Long Island MacArthur Airport to the Long Island Rail Road to Penn Station to Metro North?

Damn Wave, LOL, that's really putting the public transportation system to work.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#6]
For Laguardia Airport

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/lgaframe.HTM

For John F. Kennedy Airport

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/jfkframe.HTM

Do you know if your sister is living near Southwest Yonkers/Riverdale (Bronx neighborhood) or South East Yonkers near Woodlawn (another Bronx neighborhood)?  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:40:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually, LGA is your best bet all around.

For car service, it's geographically the closest to yonkers.  Probably about a $30 ride by car service (plus $4.50 toll).

For mass transit, take the bus from LGA to Grand Central (about $8-15) and connect to a MetroNorth train to Yonkers (about $6).

JFK is way too far by car and not terribly convenient by mass transit (long rides into Manhattan before you can connect to the train to Yonkers).

HTH

(and leave your guns behind, of course!!!)

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll probably fly into LGA. And just like in NY, we don't have any guns in Cali.

Reminder - never ask for directions from a cop.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
For Laguardia Airport

Do you know if your sister is living near Southwest Yonkers/Riverdale (Bronx neighborhood) or South East Yonkers near Woodlawn (another Bronx neighborhood)?  

Latest news is that the hood is called Bronxville.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

LOL. The houses in Bronxville are in the 1-4+ million range.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
For Laguardia Airport

Ask your sister, what is the name of the Metro North Rail Road station nearest her?  This is very important.  My brother and his wife lived in a neighborhood of Yonkers known as "Bronxville P.O." - zipcode 10708.  Even though they lived within the city limits of Yonkers, they along with every one else in their "Bronxville P.O." neighborhood would put down the city/town of their mailing address as Bronxville because the post office for zip code 10708 was in the town of Bronxville.  Another reason for doing this is to be associated with the  prestigious town of Bronxville, a very wealthy area.  The nearest Metro North Rail Road station where my brother and his wife lived was Fleetwood, not Bronxville.  So, make sure you find out what Metro North Rail Road station is closest to your sister.

Here are your transportation options if you are not renting a car;

Most expensive option:   But hassle free. Door to door service from a car service that operates out of the airport such as Westchester Express (Republic Transportation) or All County car service.  Costs about $35-$60.  May not include tolls and tips.  Information about these and other car services are in the web links (about the airports) I provided for you.  Call ahead of time to find out about the costs and make reservations.  Note:  NYC yellow cabs charge a $45 flat rate for the first destination you provide in Manhattan.  They do not have to take a fare outside NYC limits - they have the right to refuse the fare.  If they do take the fare outside NYC limits, they can negotiate the cost of the fare before the trip is started.  They are not subjected to the price per mile limits that are stickered on their doors if the fare is outside NYC limits.  Total costs = ????.

Cheaper Option: Take the New York Airport Service Express Bus to Grand Central Terminal where you can take the Metro North Rail Road to the station nearest to your sister's location.  Cost of the bus is about $10-$12 and the Metro North train fare is about $5.75/$7.50 depending on off peak/peak times and if you buy the ticket at the machine or ticket window.  You will pay almost double if you buy your ticket on the train.  Total cost is about $15.75-$19.50.  You can find out more about the bus service in the airport links I provided you.  The web site for the Metro North Rail Road is  http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm  

Cheapest Option:  Take the M60 bus (NYC Transit Authority) from Laguardia airport to 125th Street and Lexington Avenue, Manhattan.  Don't miss your stop or else you will be an Arfcommer lost in Harlem.  The fare is $2 - you can use a Metro Card which you can buy at a newstand in Laguardia airport or you can use exact change in coins, no dollar bills, and the driver doesn't make change.  From 125th Street/Lexington Avenue, walk one block to Park Avenue where you can catch the Metro North rail road to your sister's stop.  Cost for Metro North train fare if you buy the ticket at the machine or ticket window; $5.75/$7.50 depending on on time of travel, off peak/peak.  Also, if you buy the ticket on the train, you will be charged almost double the purchase price at the machine or ticket window.  So, buy your ticket before getting on the Metro North Rail Road.  Total cost for the M60 Bus and Metro North Rail Road is $7.75-$9.50.

Send an IM or an e-mail, if you have any questions.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top