Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2003 5:49:14 PM EDT
Here's my situation.  I didn't think I was going to be able to take my annual trek from Florida to the great southwest because a)we have an infant baby so a family trip was out and b)none of my usual male hiking buddies
could get time off when I could.
However one of them managed to get a week off in late July and I am raring to go somewhere for some hiking and camping.  
So, you guys in northern Arizona, what will the heat be like around the last two weeks in July?  Are the crowds at the natural attractions bad right now?  (Grand Canyon, Havasu Falls, Sedona etc...)
How widespread are the fires?  Are any roads closed?
Any travel info appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 11:26:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Near-record heat right now.  Monsoon hasn't started yet and the weather models indicate that it will be late and weak.  The fires are not widespread but the forests are like a tinderbox because of the drought and pine bark beetles. Grand Canyon and Sedona are always crowded and unless you already have one, good luck getting a hiking or camping permit to visit Havasu.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:13:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
good luck getting a hiking or camping permit to visit Havasu.

I just called and got a permit to camp there for the two days in late July I wanted.  Wasn't that difficult.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#3]
That's great!  Havasu is a favorite place of mine but I've always had trouble getting a permit.  The last time I was there was in 1999 so maybe the general decline in tourism since 9/11 has even had an impact down there.  We used to have problems with Supai residents going through our tents and stuff while we were hiking.  I hope that has changed too.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn, I hope the going through the tent thing has changed too!  I'd better make sure I take any valuables with me if I leave our campsight.  I actually hadn't 100% decided on where to go, but when you said that about Havasu Falls I decided to check to see if I could get a reservation.  Now I did (and paid for it) and I guess that's where we're going!
I know it's gonna be damned hot, but hell, I live in central FL and it's been in the 100s here all damned week, so I should be used to it!  
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 2:39:44 PM EDT
[#5]
And of course, out here "it's a dry heat."  
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 3:15:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
And of course, out here "it's a dry heat."  

Don't I know it!  When my friend and I hiked down to Bright Angel campground a couple years ago in July, we each drank about a gallon of water.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Just wanted to say that Havasu Falls was awesome!  What an incredible time we had!  I felt like a kid again, climbing up onto rock ledges to dive into the pool at the base of the waterfall.  Got some incredible pictures, which I would share if I could find a photo hosting site.  What an incredible state Arizona is...
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just wanted to say that Havasu Falls was awesome!  What an incredible time we had!  I felt like a kid again, climbing up onto rock ledges to dive into the pool at the base of the waterfall.  Got some incredible pictures, which I would share if I could find a photo hosting site.  What an incredible state Arizona is...

Email them to me, I'll post them here!
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
...  What an incredible state Arizona is...

... Shhhh RikWriter, let's keep it our little secret.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Monsoons in full swing down on the border.  Getting hammed twice a day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top