Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/12/2013 3:21:16 PM EST
My father purchased my sister a handgun for Christmas, however before he lets her take full possession of it he wants her to complete a basic firearms course. She has been around guns her whole life and is mildly familiar with them, she just needs to be taught further before she owns one, my father and I would really like to teach her on our own, but that is kind of hard living 900 miles away. What are some recommendations for courses/instructors? Were not looking for anything too in depth, just something that will teach basic firearm etiquette of owning a gun. She is in the Austin area. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:30:37 PM EST
See my post in the other thread. I have some other good people and businesses I can steer you towards. IM me if interested.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:37:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 3:40:50 PM EST by r-2-k-b-a]
Originally Posted By Diesel24:
My father purchased my sister a handgun for Christmas, however before he lets her take full possession of it he wants her to complete a basic firearms course. She has been around guns her whole life and is mildly familiar with them, she just needs to be taught further before she owns one, my father and I would really like to teach her on our own, but that is kind of hard living 900 miles away. What are some recommendations for courses/instructors? Were not looking for anything too in depth, just something that will teach basic firearm etiquette of owning a gun. She is in the Austin area. Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Austin has several pretty popular ranges. My suggestion is, find an NRA WOMENS beginner class for her to sign up with. Most of them here do classroom stuff, as well as shooting.

You say " full possession " as if theres partial

Give her the gun! If shes been around them her life, she knows the basic " dont point it at yourself " stuff. Then get her into a women's shooting instruction class. They are usually very well done by NRA affiliates.

I am in San Antonio btw, but I know there are some guys familiar with Austin, on where to send her for a basic shooter class.

Find an FFL here, transfer the gun to her and let her " take possession " of it. She should already know how to secure a pistola and not fuss with it a lot until shes obtained some training. She will be way more comfortable in the actual hands-on portion of the class if she has a gun she has handled a bit before class.

We arent talking about a F22 Fighter Jet object here. It's just a gun.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:46:29 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By r-2-k-b-a:

Austin has several pretty popular ranges. My suggestion is, find an NRA WOMENS beginner class for her to sign up with. Most of them here do classroom stuff, as well as shooting.

Give her the gun! If shes been around them her life, she knows the basic " dont point it at yourself " stuff. Then get her into a women's shooting instruction class. They are usually very well done by NRA affiliates.

I am in San Antonio btw, but I know there are some guys familiar with Austin, on where to send her for a basic shooter class.

Find an FFL here, transfer the gun to her and let her " take possession " of it. She should already know how to secure a pistola and not fuss with it a lot until shes obtained some training. She will be way more comfortable in the actual hands-on portion of the class if she has a gun she has handled a bit before class.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Not really sure why most of ARFCOM has to be combative with every thread that is made?

I apologize to you for not specifying what I meant by full possession, figured most would assume it's taking the firearm back to Texas and assuming responsibility of it.

Thanks for your input.....I suppose.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:49:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 3:56:28 PM EST by r-2-k-b-a]

Not really sure why most of ARFCOM has to be combative with every thread that is made?

I apologize to you for not specifying what I meant by full possession, figured most would assume it's taking the firearm back to Texas and assuming responsibility of it.

View All Quotes

It's not legal for her to go to CO, acquire the gun and take a gun back to TX..... If you were suggesting that.( Unless I have that statute backwards or something.)

I was as UN-combative as I could possibly have been. Remember, this is TX . Most women (here) don't like to be treated like dummies, And I doubt your sister is a dummy.

ETA: And don't be so GOT'-DAMN SENSITIVE !

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:01:12 PM EST

It's not legal for her to go to CO, acquire the gun and take a gun back to TX..... If you were suggesting that.( Unless I have that statute backwards or something.)

I was as UN-combative as I could possibly have been. Remember, this is TX . Most women (here) don't like to be treated like dummies, And I doubt your sister is a dummy.

View All Quotes

We would be sending it through an FFL, what I meant is her assuming responsibility of it in Texas. My apologies.

You are correct in saying she is no dummy, but she definitely sees it important to go to a class and be prepared for when she is ready for the firearm.

No hard feelings.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:07:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 4:09:11 PM EST by r-2-k-b-a]

We would be sending it through an FFL, what I meant is her assuming responsibility of it in Texas. My apologies.

You are correct in saying she is no dummy, but she definitely sees it important to go to a class and be prepared for when she is ready for the firearm.

No hard feelings.
View All Quotes

No hard feelings.

No sweat bro.

BUT my suggestion after being married since 2006 ( not long, but long enough ) is if you think she can handle it, just send it to her. Then give her the brotherly guidance that you should, and that she most likely already knows which is to find a way to secure it at the house/APT then go to class and learn how to use it. Theres really nothing else you can do unless you do it yourself.

My wife would certainly have wanted to have some familiarity with it before she went to a class. If your sis' has someone local that is trustworthy, they may be able to give her some pointers before she goes to the range. Not sure if she's married or not ( I'm assuming not ). But it would not surprise me if she has girlfriends that are already quite familiar with shooting here in TX that would be able to help.

I am assuming this is not a surprise?

Seriously, the best thing for her is to practice/train with the gun you give her.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:19:29 PM EST

You raise a very valid point, it would be beneficial for her to to train and practice with the firearm she owns.

It is somewhat of a surprise. She'll be told about the firearm when she is down here for Christmas, but won't actually receive it until she gets back to Texas after her visit.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:11:21 PM EST
Here are some good links.

http://www.krtraining.com/

http://www.juliannacrowder.com/

There are NRA basic pistol classes around town but she would be bored to tears in one. I would recommend you look at KRTraining first. The website is very comprehensive as to what level each class is at and what's needed. I've been taking classes there since 1999 and Karl Rehn is a great instructor. Most classes are at his range east of Elgin or southwest toward Lockhart so it can be a bit of a drive.

I have shot with Julianna at matches and she knows her stuff. I have never taken a class from her.

Gringop
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:15:56 AM EST

You raise a very valid point, it would be beneficial for her to to train and practice with the firearm she owns.

It is somewhat of a surprise. She'll be told about the firearm when she is down here for Christmas, but won't actually receive it until she gets back to Texas after her visit.

View Quote

That would be a good idea. You can't get it before Christmas? It would be great to put it under the tree there. THen she could handle it and you could show the basics with it.

She could then receive it via FFL later on and take it to class in TX.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:35:27 AM EST
I would suggest Hex Tactical. The instructors are LEO in the area and are very professional. The price is very good for what you get, and they put on a female only class if you think your sister would like that. Good luck
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:07:53 PM EST
Originally Posted By gringop:
I have shot with Julianna at matches and she knows her stuff. I have never taken a class from her.

View Quote

I know Julianna and her husband from local shooting competitions, and they are good people. They are both very friendly and excel at easing new shooters into firearms. I have no experience with their classes, but I know they run some IDPA matches too.

She also started this group that meets often in a more informal manner that would may be a good option too: http://www.agirlandagunclub.com/leander/

I've heard a lot of good things about KR Training also, but I don't have any experience with them.

Top Top