Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2013 6:35:33 PM EDT
Just got an email from a friend of mine:

"How is it going? I need some help. I want to buy a gun. I have a revolver that my ex left here. It looks to be really old and small. I have no idea how to shoot it at all. But I want to buy a new one and take classes and get a permit. What gun do you think I should buy??? I have no idea and I don't know one thing about brands or types. Does <my wife> have one that she feels comfortable with? What do you suggest? And where do I buy it?"

I want to steer her right regarding who to go to for a HCP class and some training in the Knoxville area, perhaps someone with a rental range so she can try a few options, etc.  Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Coal creek armory in west knoxville has a rental range, beginner classes, HCP classes, etc.. I'm sure they would help her out there. It can be extremely busy there on the weekends. She might get better help on a weekday. I honestly avoid coal creek cause it is always so busy.

I would also recommend Gunnys range in Maryville. They are great people there, I'm just not sure if they have beginner classes.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Used to be able to sign up for free if you were a women through Bass Pro.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:55:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Coal Creek prices are a little on the high side but do cater to the beginner woman. That is the best bet for her.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a bit further than you may want to drive but our class is a bargain. Www.skillgarden.net. Regardless taking a class first is a fantastic idea.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Coal Creek prices are a little on the high side but do cater to the beginner woman. That is the best bet for her.

I hate to say it, but if she wants to rent a few different calibers/models then Coal Creek is her best bet.

As for their THCP class, it's one of the higher priced ones and they seem to be full.  I'll IM you the contact info for the trainer at my range that does carry permit classes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top