Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/15/2005 6:57:45 PM EDT
Alright all of you really up to date on CHL laws here is my question: I am a supervisor on a correctional facility. We are not able to prevent the visitor's from carrying a firearm during weekend visitaion to and from the visit. We can however prevent them from entering the faciltiy with the firearm. Therefore the visitors are required to secure the weapons in their vehicle. So does anywhere in the handgun laws does it give provisions for the storing of weapons in unoccupied vehicles, such as the gun and ammo seperated by one security lock or something. This is coming up alot lately especially with the ability to travel with gun and no license law just recently passed. Any suggestions or ideas. Two things : I am a CHL holder and do not want to in anyway limit a CHL holders right to carry, we often have unsupervised offenders in the parking lots where these vehicles will be parked with the weapons. Security and saftey of my staff are most important. Momma often blames us when "Johnny gets his nose broke and raped in the shower". So what do you think. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:27:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 9:29:05 PM EDT by happycynic]
I don't believe there are any restrictions to storage in a vehicle. Think of how the law works. The applicable law is the prohibition against carrying a concealed pistol, club, or illegal knife (I forget the cite). Having a gun in your car is considered "carrying" and can put you in violation of this statue. However, having a CHL grants an exception to the statue, meaning if you have a gun on your person or in your car you are not in violation of the law. There is no separate law stating how guns in vehicles must be carried.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:26:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By happycynic:
I don't believe there are any restrictions to storage in a vehicle. Think of how the law works. The applicable law is the prohibition against carrying a concealed pistol, club, or illegal knife (I forget the cite). Having a gun in your car is considered "carrying" and can put you in violation of this statue. However, having a CHL grants an exception to the statue, meaning if you have a gun on your person or in your car you are not in violation of the law. There is no separate law stating how guns in vehicles must be carried.

Sort of.

HAving a gun in your car within your immediate access is "about your person" Texas law prohibits you from carrying a handgun on or about your person.

The trunk is not about your person, no are other areas not within your immediate access.

Texas makes no distinction between loded or unloaded.
Top Top