Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2006 1:12:21 AM EDT
My sons are bugging me to go.   We usually crab off the piers at newport and since I dont have a boat that's probably our best bet.   I havent been clamming at all, ever.  

Anyone know what the crabbing is like right now?

How bout clamming, any info would be helpful.  I do mean ANY.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:06:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I was in Newport three days ago, but all I did was sit on the beach and fly a kite.  Got that sucker up to about 400 feet.  Don't know anything about clamming or crabbing though...

Except to stay away from cla...  Nevermind...
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:42:02 AM EDT
[#2]
claming excellent on clatsop beaches. You should go on a minus tide so you need a tide book. Also need a shell fish license $6.50. Show up about 1 to 1 and a half hrs before low water.
A clam gun is easiest to use. I prefer a shovel. You need to stomp around as you walk or have the kids walk and stomp ahead of you. this creates a hole in the sand as the clam squirts water out to go deeper. With a gun go right over the hole with a shovel dig about 4 inches away from the hole on the ocean side as they angle towards the water a bit as they go deeper. the clam uaually ends up 12 to 18 inches deep. Dig fast if using a shovel. You will probably break a lot of the clams till you get the hang of it. These end up in the chowder pot.
Try to go with someone who knows what to look for in the sand. To me this was the hardest part. Also don't forget to have something to put them in. Cut out a hole in a milk jug and put your belt thru the handle.works pretty well.
  Cleaning and cooking a whole new topic.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:02:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Also be prepared to get a little wet. AS you are digging watch out for next wave. If the boys are young watch out so they don't get in trouble with a sneaker wave
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I have heard any month that ends in a R or any month with an R in it are good months to crab.  Call ahead and make sure it has not rained in the last few days because some say that the rain watter  dilutes the salt watter and crabbing is less productive.

We usualy go to Garibaldi or further north to Brighton beach. You can rent boats at both for around 50 $ for 4 hours and I think 10$ every additional hour.

We usualy use frozen chicken, turky legs and buy  the fish bait at the docks.  Bait the traps with both and see what they are chomping on.

As far as traps I like the square Danielson traps.  Once the crab is in they cant get out. The rings are a suckers bet in my opinion.

If you go to the above places call ahead for a crab report and dont forget to get a map at the counter.
The gal that ownes the brighton beach place is always honest when I call and the crab ground is fairly close to the docks so if your boat skills are lacking it is fairly safe and calm harbor.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Also remember that a crab gun is basically a peice of PVC pipe, NOT what the standard ARFcomer might be thinknig if they didn't know what they really are.  

It does give me an interesting idea though...I'm thinking Anti-Clam rounds might be hard to find but I'm sure it would be worth it to be able to blow those little bastards out of the sand rather than have to sweat your ass off digging for them.  Plus they would allready be precooked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top