Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2009 8:48:59 AM EST
My brothers girlfriend is looking for a used car. They asked for the contact info for the last owner. Sales person told them because of some privacy act they are not allowed to give out that information.

Is this true???

I know in Kentucky it's a law they have to give that info, but I'm not sure in Indiana.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:57:44 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:31:33 AM EST
It is TRUE. I've seen dealers getting sued because they provided customers information to somebody else.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:03:50 PM EST
carfax
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:10:56 PM EST
Absolutely ask for a Carfax. It's a must when buying a used car, dont do it yourself if they tell you to. Most dealers have a carfax account and can get it for next to nothing.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:48:02 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:29:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/13/2009 5:30:14 PM EST by stoyan79]
Carfax or Auto Check would not have the contact info for the last owner, however I do encourage anybody buying a car to pull one or both of the reports.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:46:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/13/2009 6:47:30 PM EST by SigOwner_P229]
Originally Posted By ibffsteve:
My brothers girlfriend is looking for a used car. They asked for the contact info for the last owner. Sales person told them because of some privacy act they are not allowed to give out that information.

Is this true???

I know in Kentucky it's a law they have to give that info, but I'm not sure in Indiana.

I would say its true. My brother bought a truck and found several thousand dollars in an envelope that had slipped down into some of the interior. The date on the envelope put it as the original owner's money (he bought it from the 2nd owner). He tried to get info but they couldn't give it to him; they even refused to contact the owner on his behalf. So he donated half to charity and put the rest into upgrades on the truck.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:33:27 AM EST
It always helps to dig through the glove compartment carefully, a lot of times you will find an old registration or insurance doc with the owners name on it. Also, it is sometimes in the owners manual or the warranty information.

I was looking at a Mazda Miata at Basney BMW about 10 years ago. Their story about the car didn't add up, and some of the parts on the car were not original. Basney claimed they "upgraded" the car with new wheels and tires, a custom stereo, etc. While test driving the car, I stopped and dug through the glove box finding the original owner's information. I found him on the internet, called him, and learned the car was sitting on his local Mazda dealers lot for sale when it got broken into, wheels stolen, top slashed, etc. When I went to make an offer on the car at Basney, I informed them that I was aware of the car's previous damage, and that they picked it up at auction very cheap (the previous owner knew someone at the dealership that took it to auction with all the damage), and that my offer reflected the fact that they put some el-cheapo tires on the car, a cheap stereo, and a top. I was told that I would need to speak to the manager, and when I did, he said "they don't need customers like me". I guess that means informed customers. Funny thing is, he isn't there anymore, I can't even recall his name, but I was pleased to learn they got rid of him not long after. Not wanting to let something like that drop, I did go back there repeatedly to test drive cars w/o the intention of buying just to waste their time.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:03:12 PM EST
i dont know if its cool but, when i test drove my last used car (wifes 07 armada) i did a new trick. Drove off of dealers lot and drove to a wi-fi spot to bluebook it. When searching through the glovebox i found the address of the previous owner in there on some tire paperwork. Yes, i googled the name and address and did a "street view", wow badass house it lived in prior to me driving it. I felt bad that the car had to move to my vinyl sided village.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:38:14 AM EST
I guess I'm the only one who thinks Carfax sucks and is a huge waste of money.

When I was looking for a weekend/play toy vehicle, I popped for the 6 month unlimited. The car I settled on after looking at about a dozen came back clean with Carfax. Drove it for about a year before I got forced into the K rail by a F350.

Next thing I know, the F350's owner's insurance company produces records of my vehicle having been involved in two previous accidents, both with substantial damage. Insurance co. tries to low ball me, and I had to drag it out for close to a year.

And when I asked Carfax how they missed not just one, but TWO accidents on the vehicle, "...Ummmm..... Uhhhh.... Well, that's an older vehicle....."

And when I asked Carfax, "Well, what are YOU going to do about this?" I got "Ummmm..... Uhhhh.... Well, that's an older vehicle..... It's not covered by our gaurantee"

Carfax can go pound it.

If you have questions about a vehicle, get in touch with your insurance agent. Mine says he has access to better info than the useless Carfax crap. And it probably won't cost you anything

ReSSurrected
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:20:08 AM EST
Originally Posted By ReSSurrected:
I guess I'm the only one who thinks Carfax sucks and is a huge waste of money.

I agree with you. I had an 01 Dakota R/t and some dumbass take out the side of it. Got the truck fixed and kept it for another year. before I went to sell it, I checked the Carfax and it never showed up as being in an accident. It was probably about $1k from being totalled. The only good about them is it lists previous owners and states it was registered in. Other than that, I wouldn't trust it for much.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:31:16 AM EST
My understanding, and I could easily be wrong, is that a few things have to happen for anything to show up on carfax. One, it must have been a vehicle covered by accident or comprehensive insurance. PL/PD insured cars, or self-insured cars (legal in several states), will not show accidents on carfax. Secondly, the insurance company has to report the claim/accident. I'm guessing that not every company reports stuff to carfax or wherever carfax gets their information from.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:33:23 AM EST
carfax is a joke and its not next to nothing in price! i am a used car dealer just across the line in ohio. i tried them and all they did was raise my prices! they have everyone brianwashed into thinking that it is their safety net. please just take the car to a mechanic you trust and do your research. whomever stated (that if you ask for a carfax and the dealer doesnt have one, then leave) is extremely ignorant to suggest everyone else follow in his footsteps. some of the best DEALS come from mom&pop lots that dont have high overhead or a bunch of employees! remember the higher the bills the higher the mark-up!!! and not all car dealers are out to get you, we are just like everyone else that works a job. i wish people tried to buy milk the same way they buy cars!!!
Top Top