Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2003 9:21:44 PM EDT
I'm looking at a place that's for sale about halfway between the towns of Columbia and Burkesville in Kentucky. I've made several trips to the KY area in the last couple of years but haven't been any further south than the Danville area. What's the southern part of the state like? It looks like real estate prices are lower down that way than up in the central part of the state. I'm trying to find out as much about the area before I decide to make a trip back there since these trips between CA and KY are getting expensive so anything you can tell me about it, both good and bad, would be great.
Thanks,
John
Link Posted: 3/18/2003 6:02:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Hi Pilot4X4.

I live in Adolphus KY. Near the Tennessee border. Just off of 31E, a few miles south of Scottsville. Allen County. About 2 hours from Burkesville. Or 30 minutes (30 miles or so) south east of Bowling Green. Probably to far down and out for ya.
I live in the country and its very hilly here. I am orginally from Indianapolis Ind. Taxes and things arent to high here. 6% sales tax. Real estate is fair here, but you have to watch out. Some people from the city have a hard time adjusting to the idea that you might have to drive for 30 minutes to get to Wal-Mart, but I shoot my AR in the back yard, front yard, side yard. You get the idea! Hard to go back to the city after being here a while. If theres anything else I can tell ya let me know and I will try to answer it. If any one else has any info please help em out.
Link Posted: 3/19/2003 4:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Pilot 4x4,
 I live about 3 hours from that area,  but drive thru about 25 times a year going to lake cumberland.  Burkesville is a small relatively poor town that sits on the cumberland river.  Would I live there, no.  Columbia is much larger town that has grown much in the past 10 years. Very livable, located near lake cumberland and green river lake. If you like rural living and outdoor life then you may well find it to your liking.
Link Posted: 3/19/2003 8:13:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Hello Pilot, I live in London Ky (about an hour east of Columbia)I agree with Griderhill i would not live in burkesville unless the only choice i had was burkesville or California On a serious note there is lots of land available within an hour around burkesville and still very rural. London is located on I-75 60 miles south of Lexington and approximately 100 miles north of Knoxville. Plenty of places to shoot, and the county (Laurel) is also Class III friendly. IF you think you could be interested in this area email me let me know what kind of place your looking for and ill make a few calls and see whats available.
Link Posted: 3/22/2003 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Pilot: Congratulations on a plan to move to some of the most beautiful country in the world.
I live in Campbellsville, 20 miles from Columbia, married a girl from Columbia 30 years ago, raised two kids in this area and still love it. With one short stint in Lexington, Ky. been here for 53 years.
My mother-in-law's second husband is also a California transplant in the Columbia area and his son and daughter(and their families) have all moved to Adair County. Barry and family live in the exact area between Columbia and Burkesville you are writing about.
Don't know if this will help, but here is a local realtor in Columbia, Ky. that might give you some more info;
Golden Rule-Wilson Reality and Auction
1004 Jamestown Street
Columbia, Ky. 42728
1-270-384-1111
Let me know if I can be of anymore help. LOL

Gary
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#5]
As you can see this is an old thread I started several months ago.  I took a break from looking at homes to get some things taken care of here but I'm starting my search again and hope to move to KY in the next couple of months.  Any more thoughts on the Columbia, Burkesville area?  I was going over some of the old posts and noticed a couple of you mentioned you wouldn't live in Burkesville, why?  What's Edmonton like?  Are there any good places to shoot around those areas?   Thanks, John
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Look at a map and notice how close Burkesville is to Lake Cumberland. The terrain is much more, uh, bumpy or acutely hilly than it is near Danville, which is more gently rolling. Not mountainous, mind you, but the roads tend to be narrower and more winding. You know the pictures of thoroubred horses frolicking in rolling fields? Not here.

Lake C. is a pretty big lake. One or two of the country's biggest houseboat makers are located, I think, in or near Somerset or Jamestown. The Cumberland River (runs by B-Ville) is allegedly a good trout fishery but I didn't do any good. Not that that means anything.

The people in that area are mostly good, salt-of-the earth people. This is country, but it sure ain't Deliverance. My big-city assumptions got kicked in the rear when I overheard some rather well-informed discussions about the stock market from a couple of goodoleboys at Hardees. It's not well known that Glasgow, KY was the first completely-wired city in the US (internet-wise).

Would I live there? No. I still need to try to make a living and & don't understand the economics of the area. Also, I'm way too used to bigger-city life. I'd miss having a Monster Grocery, 24-hour Home Depot, and decent airport all within a 15 minute drive. Perhaps as much as folks here would miss being able to hunt whitetail from their back decks. I'd also miss nicer restaurants. Most if not all counties in the area are "dry" (alchohol sales illegal), so it's harder to make money running a restaurant. And you sure can't have your restaurant subsidise more expensive food with its booze sales. Hence, fewer fine dining places. Of course, these are my personal tastes, preferences and opinions.

However, you probably shouldn't make a real estate decision based on what you read from boneheads on the internet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top