Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 11:39:44 AM EDT
The latest gun laws are very confusing!

I would like to know what on this list is leagle & illeagle in NY state!

M1 Garand
M1A
AR15
DSA- FAL
SKS
MAK 90
Benellie M1 super 90
Ruger miny 30
Ruger 1022

Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to go by how many 'evil' features the rifle has.

Garands and M1A's are legal and there's not many easy modifications you can do to make them illegal.

AR15's, MAK-90's and other AK clones are legal if they have 2 or less 'evil' features. This should really be viewed on a rifle to rifle basis though.

SKS are legal unless you go nuts with the aftermarket stuff and collect too many evil features (collapsible stock, duck-bill mags, etc.) In general, getting the detachable mags is a bad idea.

The Mini 30 and 10/22 are usually all legal right from the factory, but again, if you modify them, check the 'evil' feature list to make sure you're still 2 or under.

The M1 Super 90 is legal but has a separate list of features because its a shotgun of course.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:42:10 PM EDT
[#2]
In short that would be anything that was banned with the AWB of '94, some you may have in pre-ban and others you may not, basically if you knew it to be illegal before it still is now, I don't mind being corrected if I am wrong, so correct me if I am wrong.....Sean.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:51:14 PM EDT
[#3]
   No modifications have been done to my guns!
I am concern about getting busted at the gun range.
I haven't been at the range in a long time & this is one
of the reasons
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually it’s very simple. If the guns and magazines were legal to possess prior to the sunset of the Federal AWB in 09-2004 then they are legal to possess in NYS today.

The link to the NYS AWB is here: www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=24
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#5]
leagle, n. informal contraction of "legal eagle".  also see RKBAR15.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You have to go by how many 'evil' features the rifle has.

M1A's are legal and there's not many easy modifications you can do to make them illegal.

flash suppressor and bayonet lug will make a post 94 one illegal
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#7]
They're still making new M1A's?

I didn't know that. Are they actually M1A's or are they clones?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The latest gun laws are very confusing!

I would like to know what on this list is leagle & illeagle in NY state!

M1 Garand
M1A
AR15
DSA- FAL
SKS
MAK 90
Benellie M1 super 90
Ruger miny 30
Ruger 1022

Thanks for your help!

Heres the skinny:

M1 Garand - legal

M1A - legal if post ban config, if not grind off the bayonet lug, otherwise must be owned prior to Spet '94

AR-15 -If its in post-ban configuration its legal, if not it must have been owned prior to Sept '94

DSA FAL -Legal if its in post ban configuration, if not must have been owned prior to Sept '94

SKS - Legal, but be careful not to add a custom stock with pistol grip, or high cap (10+ round) mag.

MAK90 - I believe these are all post ban config, and hence all legal in NY

Bennelli -not familiar with it, dont know for sure.

Ruger Mini-30 - Legal, but not the folding stock version, unless possessed prior to Sept '94

Ruger 10/22 - Legal

For more take a look at the case law:
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/nycodes/c82/a68.html

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
They're still making new M1A's?

I didn't know that. Are they actually M1A's or are they clones?

YUP! Springfield Armory is making M1A's, for a small mint.
And in new flavors, ala SOCOM-16, (an M1A with a shorter, 16" barrel, enhanced buffer system for the shorter barrel, ported barrel, all wrapped up in a nice synthetic stock). Some people love em', others prefer the tried and true.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:44:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:41:09 AM EDT
[#11]
That's probably why I didn't know they were making a new version; it looks nothing like the original.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top