Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/26/2006 6:31:32 AM EST
I'm busting my ass trying to get the AR45 lower receiver to market but the freaking zoning laws are killing me. What buildings are available for lease in the Mankato manufacturing zone are 10,000 sq ft or more and expensive. I only need 500-1000 sq ft to satisfy the ATF.

I can't "manufacture" them at home without notifying everyone within 500' of my house, attending a publice hearing, and coughing up $546 just for the hearing. And I may still not be approved if anyone objects.

Does anyone know of an small building that is zoned for manufacturing with a reasonable drive from Mankato for lease?

I can also rent floor space from an existing business zoned for manufacturing as long as the primary business is aware of and approves me to "manufacture" guns.

A building I can use to satisfy ATF requirements to have an actual manufacturing facility is all I need to get my 07 FFL and get the AR45 to market.

I am willing to pay rent or negotiate a small amount of each lower sold in lieu of rent.

Any help will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:38:23 AM EST
You should contact a commercial leasing agent. I know someone if you like, but he may be of limited help as he is in the Metro. He may be able to refer you to someone, though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:47:52 AM EST
Been there done that. Nothing but 10,000+ square foot facilities. Only 2 companies in this area, Fischer and Lidstrom.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 11:41:39 AM EST
I see bunches of for lease/sale signs on my way to and from work...I live out in Wright County, though..from about Waverly on US12 east, there's a bunch of smaller commercially-zoned stuff for rent, lease, or sale.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:48:27 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:22:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2006 6:09:51 PM EST by Scotter260]
New Richland, MN good sir. A leisurely 35 mile drive SE of Mankato.

We've got a couple of closed business buildings here in town and near-by, the only thing I can't tell you is if zoned commercial=zoned manufacturing. Good Lord, we've got an old factory, that's right, factory, in the middle of town that has nothing in it. The guy who owns it is from the metro I believe and he uses a certain area of it to house some old cars but other than that it's just a vandal magnet.

IM sent.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:31:42 AM EST
Scotter60,

ATF requires my business location to be zoned for manufacturing or have a "special use"/"conditional use" permit from the appropriate zoning board. The problem with a "conditional use" permit is, zoning boards require a public hearing, contacting of neighbors, and a host of other crap before they will issue the permits. This takes months and they all want an ungodly amount of money for this process.

If the property is zoned for manufacturing, I just pay for the permit and I'm in business in one day.

I just need a really small building so the rent doesn't kill me. I will be paying rent for up to 2 months before the ATF approves my manufacturers license and this rent comes out of my pocket till I start selling lowers.

I don't want to take any deposits and end up like the Ares Shrike.

I working with the ATF and the actual manufacturer on a deal that allows me to license the right to make a one time batch of 500 lowers under the actual manufacturers license. The first lowers won't have my company name on them but I can get them on the street faster. As much as I want the lowers to have my company name on the side, this option gets the first batch sold and generates some operating capital and gets the product to the customer faster.

I'm going to check out some locations today and this weekend before I make the decision if I am going with option B.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:06:04 PM EST
I checked out the "ghost town" buildings in LeSeur today. That building is huge. Now I'll see if I can track down the owner.

Nothing at all in North Mankato. I even checked out Henderson, nothing there either.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:39:53 AM EST
Just an idea, but what about something zoned rural/agricultural, like a farmstead? There's got to be a farmer with some extra space in a building for you.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:22:33 AM EST
1,100sf for lease 300 block on Hwy 169 St. Peter 507-381-2082

Worth a call.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:11:06 PM EST
I checked it out. I'ts zoned for commercial retail but I did get a map of St. Peters showing the industrial areas. The area is small but spread out. I'll check it out this week.

In the mean time, I sent a proposal to ATF for getting these to market with licensing the making and selling of the AR45 by properly licensed persons, ie. the actual manufacturer and my local FFL dealer.
Top Top