Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/27/2005 5:19:55 AM EDT
I'm currently looking at a relocation from Philly area to Pittsburgh.

I've heard som stuff from area residents about not setting roots in Allegheny county or in Pittsburgh due to the taxes. They advise me to move to any of the surrounding counties.

I think living in the Pittsburg City limits it's 5% of my pay check off the top.

But I don't quite get the county assesment stuff that's been going on and could use some clairification.

So should I really buy a house in one of the surounding counties?

How is the houseing market? it can't be as bloated as the Philly area.

Thanks

-SR
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:42:05 AM EDT
doh! also wanted to add what's up with all of the residents leaving the county and sheriffs sales.

what a post for #223
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:28:38 AM EDT
yes taxes in allegheny county are higher than other counties around pittsburgh. but the traffic sucks ass if you live in south of the city.

once a year $59.00 privalege to work in the city tax. county assesment make no sense to be. thank the schools for that one.

you can live in cranberry twp in butler county and be surrounded by soocer moms and big box stores
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:09:58 AM EDT
The city taxes are high. The county is probably the same or a little less than the Philly area. Almost nobody that works in the city lives there thats why they bang you with the occupation tax.
There are alot of nice places to live outside of the city. Nobody understands the county tax assesment stuff even the people that came up with it. My brother and sister-in-law moved to the Philly area about a year ago and they cant wait to come back here. As far as buying a house in a surrounding county you would have to weigh the tax savings to drive time.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:28:57 PM EDT
taxes vary greatly depending on which township/municipality you are in (although in general, Allegheny Co is higher than surrounding) - that being said, you can get far more house (for the same $) in Allegheny Co than you can in the philly area. Lots depends on where you are going to work (as to how tolerable the commute would be)
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:52:50 PM EDT
I live 1/2 hour south of the city and my taxes on a 1600sq foot home on 1 1/2 acres is $880. The traffic isn't really all that bad as long as you stay off the parkways.....
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:59:33 PM EDT
You can't understand Allegheny County taxes.

It's like a woman.......There is no understanding it...there is no reasoning with it...and eventually it will fu@k you.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:42:41 AM EDT
Thanks for the great replies.

I getting ready to interview with a company downtown.

I've been looking east Penn hills, monroville mostly.

Any other areas you could recommend?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:14:26 AM EDT
stay away from penn hills. it's turning into a shit hole. try plum
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:02:45 PM EDT
Yes definatly avoid Penn Hills. It is getting very ghetto very fast and they have an insane sewage bill there my sister lives there and cant wait to leave, her house is currently up for sale. I live in Monroeville and have lived in this area all my life. IMHO it is a nice place to live. Its very convienent as far as shopping, dining and healthcare type places and churches. It has a good school district too. A good gun club nearby www.pmsconline.com. Downsides are the commute downtown everyday would suck. The parkway east is the worst unless you leave real early. Local traffic in Monroeville can suck on the weekends with everybody out shopping etc. Otherwise housing here is nice and not to overpriced. There really isnt any "bad" neighborhoods. IM me if you have any specific questions.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:52:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By shindawia6:
stay away from penn hills. it's turning into a shit hole. try plum

I live in PH and will agree here. Too much to explain now but the far eastern side of PH is OK; the western or city bordreing area and the center have gone TU.

Plum Boro or central to eastern Monroeville. If you go any further you're in Westmoreland County like Murrsyville.

Like SHOOTIN4FUN said, PH also has insanely high sewage bills because of fines levied against them by the EPA years ago. I think they paid off the fines but strangely never reduced the fees.
Top Top