Posted: 4/5/2006 9:44:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Does this help?

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't do it in Long Beach it is a Violation of City Ord to remove more than 5 lbs of sand.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey Tom.  If you rip open any Ringside bag, they are stuffed with tee shirts with sand packed in pastic plastic bags in the middle.  Everlast bags are stuffed with what looks like chopped up rags.  I filled a big Thai banana bag (about 10 feet tall and 3 feet wide) with tees shirts, rags from older heavy bags that had fallen apart.  Throw some tees/rags in, a bag of sand, then more rags...repeat until the bag is full.  I needed to add more every week or so as the bag settled.  This is a gym bag that gets ALOT of use, so you may not need to add as often as I did.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:12:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Any Home Depots/similar stores around? You can buy 50lb bags of sand cheap.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Go too Agway or pet store and ask for crushed corn cob or a bag of oats  about 8-12 bucks for 25 lb. bag and works just as good as sand plus its a little lighter to carry. I have the big Caldwell bench bag filled with oats it took 50 lbs. to fill 3 of those bags and it works great and is about half the weight of sand. Some bags that have slings or carry handles request other fillings and not sand because they would tare the bag due to its weight.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey Tom.  If you rip open any Ringside bag, they are stuffed with tee shirts with sand packed in pastic plastic bags in the middle.  Everlast bags are stuffed with what looks like chopped up rags.  I filled a big Thai banana bag (about 10 feet tall and 3 feet wide) with tees shirts, rags from older heavy bags that had fallen apart.  Throw some tees/rags in, a bag of sand, then more rags...repeat until the bag is full.  I needed to add more every week or so as the bag settled.  This is a gym bag that gets ALOT of use, so you may not need to add as often as I did.

Vinnie,
Good stuff.  I used to beat on this thing every other day after going for a run.  I plan on hanging it from my tree and getting back into my boxing routine.  The bag is some australian company and had sawdust which is why I was wondering.  I have a TON of old t shirts so that part wont be a problem.  
Just to reiterate, T shirts on the outer edges with bagged sand in the center?  I dont want to break my wrist.
thanks.

Yup, Tees with the bags of sand (I used the plastic ones they use in groceries stores for fruit/vegetables) in the middle.  The bags of sand are pretty much just for weight and to help the shirts pack down nicely.  You don't need to make a donut with the shirts and put the sand in the middle. Just put a few shirts then a bag of sand, then more shirts...sand, ect.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Go too Agway or pet store and ask for crushed corn cob or a bag of oats  about 8-12 bucks for 25 lb. bag and works just as good as sand plus its a little lighter to carry. I have the big Caldwell bench bag filled with oats it took 50 lbs. to fill 3 of those bags and it works great and is about half the weight of sand. Some bags that have slings or carry handles request other fillings and not sand because they would tare the bag due to its weight.

I was just about to say that.
I used the same stuff.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:46:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Are you, a lawyer, advocating theft of county property?

Jones Beach is a state park, not county

Take sand from Calverton. The old lady yells at you anyways lol. Last time I was there I saw her walking around ripping and emptying the bags that shooters fill with sand to make a rest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top