Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2006 8:50:28 AM EDT
I want to do some water fragmentation testing on multiple bullets.  Where can I get a BUNCH of empty plastic milk jugs locally?  Does anyone know a source, or a cheap alternative to this problem?

The only other thing I could think of... was to build a wooden box, and use trash bags filled with water, in a way that would contain the fragments?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#1]
swimming pool...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:59:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I seem to recall that a 9mm will penetrate the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket.

TRG

I barely remember that little test.  Wish we had pics.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Drink alot of milk

Sorry I could not resist
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Recycling center maybe? or if you live in an area that does street collection for recycling, then hit those up on the morning they get put out.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Recycling center maybe? or if you live in an area that does street collection for recycling, then hit those up on the morning they get put out.

Did through my neighbors trash cans???  Yeah, that will go over well.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

when they ask, just tell them its for ammo testing
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Ziploc bags will be a better way of testing bullets.  The plastic milk jugs can sometimes cause deformation on bullets, and wont give you the most accurate results.

Go buy a box of the bigger ziploc bags and use a water hose to fill them with water.  Its easier, cheaper, and more accurate.

Remember, whatever the distance of penetration is, divide that by 1.6 and thats what you'll get if you used balgel.

Edited because the grammar nazi bit is still used by the lame.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Remember, whatever the distance of penetration is, dive that by 1.6 and thats what you'll get if you ued balgel.

Hitting the bottle a bit early today, hmmm?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Ziploc bags will be a better way of testing bullets.  The plastic milk jugs can sometimes cause deformation on bullets, and wont give you the most accurate results.

Go buy a box of the bigger ziploc bags and use a water hose to fill them with water.  Its easier, cheaper, and more accurate.

Remember, whatever the distance of penetration is, dive that by 1.6 and thats what you'll get if you ued balgel.

1.  I am not that concerned about accuracy.... I am concerned with getting some milk jugs.

2.  I am not concerned about dividing by X for "ued balgel"  

I just want to see what bullets will frag, and which wont, against the same control standard.  This isnt meant to repeat/duplicate any real world stuff.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1.  I am not that concerned about accuracy.... I am concerned with getting some milk jugs.

2.  I am not concerned about dividing by X for "ued balgel"  

I just want to see what bullets will frag, and which wont, against the same control standard.  This isnt meant to repeat/duplicate any real world stuff.

Might have one or 2.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:33:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I want to do some water fragmentation testing on multiple bullets.  Where can I get a BUNCH of empty plastic milk jugs locally?  Does anyone know a source, or a cheap alternative to this problem?

The only other thing I could think of... was to build a wooden box, and use trash bags filled with water, in a way that would contain the fragments?

like this?

The Box O' Truth website
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Fal-

I've got the extra wood and tools to make a setup like that in then link hrt provided...Let me know if you want to build one real quick...

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

like this?

Exactly.  He uses milk jusgs, which makes porting in and out of the range easy.  If I have to go the bag route, I will need access to a hose.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Around here they make it easy by requiring things to be recycled left in a plastic bin about 2' tall and uncovered and unwrapped. I always see about 10-15 driving to school. Bet you wouldnt have a problem with your neighbors if you did tell them it was for ammo tes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#19]
If you findout where that fat airsofter kid lives, I bet he has a mountain of it by trash day.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I have three water jugs sitting on my counter now-- by the time you need them, they will probably be empty... there's 3...

ETA: what kind of ammo, caliber, make, model, etc.etc. you plan on testing? FMJ, JHP, subsonic 9mm vs. .45, etc...

can you also compare 124gr w/ 147gr subsonic Hydra-shocks?

-E.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I have three water jugs sitting on my counter now-- by the time you need them, they will probably be empty... there's 3...

ETA: what kind of ammo, caliber, make, model, etc.etc. you plan on testing? FMJ, JHP, subsonic 9mm vs. .45, etc...

can you also compare 124gr w/ 147gr subsonic Hydra-shocks?

-E.

Nope.  Just different .223 and 5.56 loads.  There are two new surplus rounds coming on the market we need chrony data for, another guy wants his 20 year olf SA chronied, and I figure I will do a few others just for a control group, like Q3131A, AE223, Black Hills, etc.

I dont give a damn about handgun ammo... it's all about shot placement in that stuff.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#22]
will different barrel lengths and twist rates affect your "study"?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#25]
How many will you need ?
There is always the option to buy them.
Wally world sells them for around 0.58-0.67 a gallon.
They also sell a box of 3 for around 2.00

If you cant find what you need you could always go that rout.

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#26]
OP Using The Ziploc Bags

I didnt realize you werent trying to get terminal performance.  If you were, the 1.6 inches of water penetration equals 1 inch of ballistic gelatin penetration, according to Dr. Roberts and others in that field.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:11:58 PM EDT
[#28]
wife's pregnant  goes trough a gallon every 2-3 days

kids gonna come out a Longhorn *hook em*
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:23:05 AM EDT
[#29]
C&I recycling in Garland has tons of plastics.................I go there to recycle newsprint. Go there and just grab a few dozen.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:32:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Why not use the 5 or 2gal  water jugs ( the rectangle kind from albertsons / walmart, not the water cooler kind)  and put them in long ways. IIRC it's thinner polyetheline and you would go through 1/2 as many walls.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top