Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2003 3:51:40 PM EDT
I firgured I would have to change my driver's license over and live in Virginia for so long before I could buy a firearm in this State.  But, last week I was flipping through a book, something like "Everything Gun Owners Should Know in Virginia", and I swear I read that it is legal to purchase a firearm if I have a valid government ID and something showing residency.  

The bit about residency mentioned a lease agreement and several other things.  Unfortunately I was in the store to buy AR parts and I decided not to get the book.  

Does anybody know if I can buy a rifle/receiver/firearm in Virginia my Michigan driver's license and my new lease agreement?  I really want to get another lower from Quantico while they are on sale.

Hope somebody can help.  Thanks!
Scott
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#1]
If your active duty, just bring your DD form 2A and your orders, plus your out of state DL.

Your orders give you residency on day one.

Link Posted: 9/28/2003 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Slacker,
Thanks for the info.  Probably should have mentioned I'm not military.  Do you have any info for the civilian types?  
Scott
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#3]
www.vsp.state.va.us/cjis_vftp.htm

Identification and Residency Requirements

A primary and secondary form of identification must be presented to the firearms dealer at the time of purchase of any firearm except an antique weapon, or replica of an antique weapon.

Primary Identification

The primary form of ID shall consist of a valid photo-ID form issued by a governmental agency of the Commonwealth or of the prospective purchaser or transferee’s home state that denotes the individual’s name, race, sex, and date of birth.  Where the primary form is a photo-ID issued by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), the dealer shall not transfer a firearm to the prospective purchaser until 30-days after the date of issue of an original or duplicate driver's license unless a copy of his/her DMV driver's record is presented showing that the original date of issue was more than 30-days prior to the attempted purchase.
The primary form of ID for a non-Virginia resident, for the purchase of a rifle or shotgun, must consist of a valid photo-ID issued by a governmental agency of the prospective purchaser’s home state that denote the purchaser’s name, race, sex, date of birth and address. Federal law prohibits the sale or transfer of a handgun to a non-resident of the state in which the handgun is being purchased.

A State Department Driver’s License is an acceptable primary form of identification: a photo-identification issued by a [Federal] governmental agency which indicates the individual’s name, address, race, sex, and date of birth.

A social security card IS NOT an acceptable form of identification.

A birth certificate IS NOT an acceptable form of identification.

Effective January 1, 2004, DMV will not issue an original license, permit, or ID card to any applicant who has not presented evidence that he/she is a citizen of the United States, a legal permanent resident, or an authorized temporary resident alien of the United States. In the instance of temporary residence, the DMV document will only be valid during the period of authorized stay in the United States.

Secondary Identification

The secondary form of identification, for Virginia residents and residents of other states, must show an address identical to that shown on the primary form of identification. Some acceptable forms of secondary ID are:

a current lease,

evidence of currently paid personal property tax or real estate tax,

a current utility or telephone bill,

a current voter registration card,

a current bank check,

a current passport,

a current automobile registration and

current hunting or fishing license.

Link Posted: 10/3/2003 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately, if you haven't had a VA driver's license for 30 days, it's a no go.

VA State law requires that the primary VA DMV issued ID must be 30 days old.  

You can not legally buy a long gun with a Michigan driver's license.  You USED to be able to, but no longer.  The VA State Police are now enforcing an obscure law passed in the 70's that makes it illegal to sell a long arm to someone from a state that does not share VA borders.  This has but a real crimp on us as dealers, and I'm not blowing smoke on this.

I can only sell a long gun to someone from NC, WVA, TN, KY, MD, or Delaware.

I wish it were otherwise.

You'll have to wait until your VA DMV license is 30 days old.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought the 30 day thing only applied to 'assault rifles' because of that Pakistani who shot up the CIA.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Nope, unfortunately, to buy a firearm in VA your VA ID must be 30 days old, no matter what you're buying.

The change that came about because of the Pakistani is that you must have 3 forms of ID, one of which proves US citizenship, in order to buy an "assault weapon" (basically pre-ban stuff).
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Y'all want to hear a story about that Paki guy?  I sold him 2 guns.

I worked at David Condon Guns in Chantilly as a part time job.  One Sunday, this very friendly guy comes in and tells me he is looking for a rifle.  I show him several and he settles on a Colt AR15 H-Bar.  While filling out the paperwork, he notices a Makarov and asks to see it.  He obviously has used one before and I asked him about it.  He told me those were very common back in his country.

This whole time, he was polite and well spoken.  His english was perfect.  He asked about scopes for the AR.  I showed him a few but he decided to wait on that.  "I'll come back in a few weeks for that."

Two hours later, he came back into the store with a sheepish grin on his face.  He asked if I could help him figure out what is wrong with the gun.  "It won't feed a round".  I told him to bring it in.  He brought in in the box.  I pulled the charging handle and a live round came out (!).  It had been jammed into the chamber because the cardboard rod was still in the bore from the factory.  I removed it and he was again happy.

Well, it seems he came back a few days later when I wasn't working and traded it in on an AK-47.  I'm guessing he wanted something more familiar.  This is also the point where he picked up the Makarov after the Fairfax Co waiting period and background check.

When I saw his face on TV, I about shit!  "I know that guy!" I yelled to my wife.  

I did get interviewed and they had me on standby to testify.  The final call never came so they didn't need me.

Oh, and his driver's license did say Kansi, not the Kasi that the media reported.  Mir Amal Kansi.  I'll never forget.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Cliffy that is one story I'm glad you're telling and not me.  Hope you never have to see something like that again, I don't care where the guy is from.

Everybody else,
Thanks for the info.  I'll be going to the DMV this next week to get all of the paperwork taken care of for my truck and driver's license.  The Virginia DMV system really sucks from what I've read (and heard on their automated phone system).  Looks like I'll just have to wait awhile to get my second AR lower.
Thanks again,
Scott
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#9]
VA DMV is great if you go to an office in a place like Galax.  15 minutes in and out with friendly people at the counter.

It's the DMV offices up here in NoVA that suck.  Of the ones I've been to lately the Manassas office is the worst.  The Westfields office used to be okay but now they've got the old bastard from Manassas working at their info desk so now both of those offices suck.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Warrenton, is a good dmv and so is Front Royal and Stephen City on route 11.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Finally went to the DMV last week down near Springfield.  An hour and a half later I had everything done, it could have been worse though.

I went right from the DMV to the police station so I could turn in my CCW application.  I'm sure it will take the full 45 days to get my permit.  I don't care as long as I get it.  

25 more days and I can buy firearms in VA!!!!!!
Scott
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top