Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2004 4:41:32 PM EDT
I'm going to Manhattan via car.  Right around Lexington and E 60th st.

I'm going from Binghamton.  In the past I took 81 S to the NJ turnpike and then went through the Lincoln tunnel to get to Manhattan (that's where mapquest told me to go).

My friend tells me that the Lincoln tunnel is bad news because of congestion caused by protesters and I should take the George Washington Bridge instead.

Can anyone give succinct and accurate driving directions to get me in the neighborhood of Lexington & E. 60th?  Once I get on the correct side of Central Park I should be OK.

To reiterate, I will be coming from Binghamton.

Thanks!

By the way, I'm looking forward to the drive.  Driving on I-80 through Jersey is one of the more fun things I've done.  Five lanes and no one has any lane discipline and if you're not going 80 mph you get squashed.  BRING IT ON!

Then there's Manhattan!  Whoa baby!  I get giddy just thinking about it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#1]
This week?   hahahahahahahahhahahahahahha
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
when are you comming down?  After Thursday it should all be cleared out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:13:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
when are you comming down?  After Thursday it should all be cleared out.

No it will be before that.  Probably early afternoon on Thursday.  Thus the alternate route.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:45:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:36:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure what part of Rt.17 you might be on but be prepared for alteration of your genetic code
due to the high insidence of microwave radiation provided by your tax dollars in the hands of the
NY State Police. (At least whenever I go up to Middletown from the Harriman exit)
P.S.> The definition of "park" in NYC means in a garage and be prepared to pop the trunk
for a quick inspection. East 59th st. leads to the Qweensbourgh bridge and there are limited
turns on the streets in the area so park somewhat north of your destination. (Just a few blocks).
Good luck!
/L.jr.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
\
By the way, I'm looking forward to the drive.  Driving on I-80 through Jersey is one of the more fun things I've done.  Five lanes and no one has any lane discipline and if you're not going 80 mph you get squashed.  BRING IT ON!

Chriiiist, not another up-stater doing 10 under the limit on one of the biggest goddamn arteries in the country..  If you can't work out the road politics, take the damn train!    (I'm off E-27, drive 80 to and from work every day. Hell, I LIKE it, but the DC Beltway is faaaaar worse!)

Cardinal rules for NJ Interstates:
1) Stay outta the left lane unless you're running ZR rated tires.
2) "Brake checks" for tailgaters are ineffective.  Throw rocks.
3) Turn signals aren't a question, they're a statement.  An immediate one.  
4) "Safe following distance" is never more than a car length.  
5) Nobody here understands why Dale Earnhardt was called "The Intimidator", our moms drive like that.
6) The NJSP are not in the business of handing out warnings.  Uniforms that ugly would make you cranky too.
7) Relax, otherwise you'll just die tense.
8) Any reason is a good reason for a traffic jam, including the emergence of that big fiery thing in the AM.
9) Taking 30 minutes to get into either tunnel is not "traffic".
10) Drivers with NY plates are "the enemy".  

Have no fear though, state trauma and burn centers are an easy 5 minute Northstar flight away. Have a good trip!

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

(I'm off E-27, drive 80 to and from work every day. Hell, I LIKE it, but the DC Beltway is faaaaar worse!)

Thanks for the driving tips.    It's been years since I've driven the DC Beltway but that was one of the better roads I've been on as far as divided highways go.  I just don't remember it well enough to compare it to I-80.

I-90 through Cleveland is nice, but the drivers aren't as aggressive--so it's not so challenging.

Winston, maybe I'll see you on my way out of NYC on I-80, but only briefly.  

By the way, what's the deal with those signs on 80?  They say something about doubled fines in a 55-zone?  I've never passed one going slow enough to read the whole thing.  What's it all about?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

By the way, what's the deal with those signs on 80?  They say something about doubled fines in a 55-zone?  I've never passed one going slow enough to read the whole thing.  What's it all about?

It was the only way they'd sign off on the 65mph speed increase.. Traffic fines are doubled in 65 zones.  Not sure if that means points and cash or just cash, but either way it's a nasty hit.  They have the same now in "Designated Safe Corridors" here and there on state roads as well (Rt. 46 from Dover to Hackettstown for one).  Needless to say it's just a way to fatten the coffers, and they just loooove nailing out of state drivers.  On the upside, the HOV lanes are gone (for a few years now), so you don't have to worry about the diamond lanes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#9]
... Take the 1 & 9 and get off @ Columbus Circle and take the F to Lexington

... Save yourself the grief, seriously
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm not sure what part of Rt.17 you might be on but be prepared for alteration of your genetic code due to the high insidence of microwave radiation provided by your tax dollars in the hands of the NY State Police. (At least whenever I go up to Middletown from the Harriman exit)

/L.jr.

So you are well acquainted with speed trap alley.  Living in Middletown, I know exactly what you mean.  Now that the speed limit is 65mph, it is just as bad since some believe that it gives them license to go 85-90mph.  The NYSP are loving it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:24:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm not sure what part of Rt.17 you might be on but be prepared for alteration of your genetic code due to the high insidence of microwave radiation provided by your tax dollars in the hands of the NY State Police. (At least whenever I go up to Middletown from the Harriman exit)

/L.jr.

So you are well acquainted with speed trap alley.  Living in Middletown, I know exactly what you mean.  Now that the speed limit is 65mph, it is just as bad since some believe that it gives them license to go 85-90mph.  The NYSP are loving it.

They send a good chunk of their new guys to 17 for speed enforcement training. Commuting back and forth between Ithaca and Newburgh last year, my feeling was that there were certainly parts of 17 that could be raised limit-wise. If it ever gets interstate status like they want, it'll go up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:59:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Cardinal rules for NJ Interstates:
1) Stay outta the left lane unless you're running ZR rated tires.
2) "Brake checks" for tailgaters are ineffective. Throw rocks.
3) Turn signals aren't a question, they're a statement. An immediate one.
4) "Safe following distance" is never more than a car length.
5) Nobody here understands why Dale Earnhardt was called "The Intimidator", our moms drive like that.
6) The NJSP are not in the business of handing out warnings. Uniforms that ugly would make you cranky too.
7) Relax, otherwise you'll just die tense.
8) Any reason is a good reason for a traffic jam, including the emergence of that big fiery thing in the AM.
9) Taking 30 minutes to get into either tunnel is not "traffic".
10) Drivers with NY plates are "the enemy".

WinstonSmith;
I love your rules, I have a cousin who keeps pennys in her ashtray just to toss out of the sunroof
We NY drivers don't think of ourselfs as the enemy, it's more like we're the instructors at TopGun.
"Cdr. Mike Metcalf, [sp] the first man to win the TopGun trophy, call sign VIPER."
And when we're deep in the 'garden state' it's more like we're the only guy to get his
P-40 off the deck at Hickam Field into the target rich environment on that Sunday morning

I've never actually been nailed on Rt 17 but it drives me nuts to have to drive that slow after getting
off of I-87. I try to get up to the fairgrounds in Middletown whenever they have a show. (Sept.11-12?)
The first time I noticed it was when I drove with a buddy at o'dark-thirty up 17 on opening day some
years ago. I thought they were just pissed that they had to work on opening day of deer season.
/L.jr.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:29:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Lloyd, I'll be at the show on Saturday, Sept 11th.  I usually spend the day hanging out with my FFL and his buddy.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:49:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I usually get up there on a Sunday but I may get there on Saturday at the opening time.
You'll know me as the only guy to fire your fifty OFFHAND
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top