Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2009 3:29:40 PM EDT
I'm in the Syracuse area and am considering selling a couple of pistols.  I don't want to go the classified ad route as I am leery of having potential buyers at my home for privacy reasons and because  I don't want strangers who may pose as potential buyers knowing where I live and that I have handguns.  

So I guess that leaves either selling outright to a dealer or on consignment.  Any advice, recommendations etc?  Is there a more or less standard deal on consignment sales?  Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Whatcha selling?  I live an hour south and I know a few folks who are looking to buy pistols who just got thier pistol permits.

I am under the assumption that all pistol transactions have to go through an FFL in New York anyway, so the concern about having strangers in your home should be negated.  

IM me the details of what you are trying to sell.

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 3:47:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I am under the assumption that all pistol transactions have to go through an FFL in New York anyway, so the concern about having strangers in your home should be negated.  

That is incorrect. FTF transactions between pistol licensees or a person who is exempt from the licensing law is permitted in NYS. The actual procedure both parties must follow to acquire and dispose of a registered handgun in a FTF transaction varies by county.

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#3]
RaLins/Gem sports: You set the price, and they mark it up from there. I have done this before. If they have a PILE of pistols in stock, they may not take your gun on consignment until they have room. I ALWAYS look for the consignment guns first, as that is where the bargins are to be found.

Tim in Elbridge doesn't have a pistol FFL, to my knowledge, although the archery guys do. You could also consider talking to them and see if they take any consignments.

If you list them in the classified, simply meet any prospective buyers at the range.

Feel free to IM me with your items

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Meet at a range or consignment through a gun shop. Call a few shops and see what their consignment policies are.

I'm always looking for interesting stuff, S&W and 1911s in particular. PM me if you like!
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is incorrect. FTF transactions between pistol licensees or a person who is exempt from the licensing law is permitted in NYS. The actual procedure both parties must follow to acquire and dispose of a registered handgun in a FTF transaction varies by county.

So basically you have to contact your specific counties Permit office see what they say?

Good to know thanks for fixing me

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#6]
CNY request; What'cha got?  
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Put it in the handgun section of the EE...it's actually easier to send it to a FFL somewhere else than here in NY.
FTF isn't too much an issue with known folks from the boards, but I wouldn't run an ad in the paper, then invite them over...the range sounds like a good place.
All you really need as the "seller" is the purchase coupon from the buyer (if it's a NY sale) or telling the issuing authority in your County "I sold/shipped it to Xxxxxx's gunshop in XX."  Jefferson County doesn't give me any trouble with handguns that I've sold, they just write down on their cards where it went when I disposed of it.
Best bet is call your Handgun Licensing people and see what they say.
IF it we me, buying from you: all I'd have to do is get purchase coupon(s) from them and all they need to know is who I'm buying from and their licenses number. County policies vary widely from very simple to a real pain in the ass.  YMMV
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#8]
In Onondaga, all that's required for a FTF transfer is a notarized bill of sale for both the seller to dispose of the pistol and the buyer to acquire.  That's it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Syracuse uniform (Despiritos) in Solvay use to have guns on consignment. They don't have many now but cops are in and out all day long.

Pm me what you got please.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top