Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/23/2004 4:59:08 PM EST
Hey there....

Virginian here looking possibly to relocate to the Atlanta Metro area. It is job related and ideally, I would like a 30 or less commute to Hartsfield Airport (I work in the Aviation sector). I can deal with as long as 60 minutes, but I'd like to stay away from that if at all possible.

Here is the rub:

I currently live in N. Virgina and have a 10 yr old son. The school system here is great and I'd like to keep that standard when relocating. I understand that the school systems up in "the north end" (Alpharetta/Roswell/Marietta areas) are good to go, but, the housing in these areas is getting to be like NoVA ($400K just for a townhouse and such). The areas to the south, southwest, and southeast have great new subdivisions with good home prices, but, the school systems are not up to par. The issue of schools is paramount above all else. Yes, I can place my son in a private school, but, what I gain in lower mortgage payments, I lose in school tuition costs.

If I am going to spend NoVA money on a house, I might as well stay in Va, right?

Looking for insight, advice, etc.....

Thanks........
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:27:04 PM EST
Last time I checked Fayette County schools were ranked pretty high. Fayetteville is about a half hour drive to the airport. Henry County schools (Mcdonough area) are supposed to be good as well. Mcdonough is probably about a 45 minute drive to the airport. Peachtreecity is another Fayette county city with good schools IFIRC, but Peachtreecity is a planned community with some fairly expensive housing.

Good luck and hope you find what you need.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:29:11 PM EST

Originally Posted By mo4040:
I currently live in N. Virgina and have a 10 yr old son. The school system here is great and I'd like to keep that standard when relocating. I understand that the school systems up in "the north end" (Alpharetta/Roswell/Marietta areas) are good to go, but, the housing in these areas is getting to be like NoVA ($400K just for a townhouse and such). The areas to the south, southwest, and southeast have great new subdivisions with good home prices, but, the school systems are not up to par. The issue of schools is paramount above all else. Yes, I can place my son in a private school, but, what I gain in lower mortgage payments, I lose in school tuition costs.

Hi, and welcome.

If you are looking for good public schools, north metro Atlanta is the best in the state. East Cobb County and north Fulton County have some of the best schools. I'm in Marietta, and the prices of housing isn't that bad. A 4 bedroom 3 bath house in the Walton, Pope, Wheeler, or Lassiter High School areas runs around $300,000, depending on age and size of lot. These high schools are among the best in the state, and the middle and elementary schools in their areas are top notch as well. I went to Walton, and had a weighted GPA of 4.1 (3.8 unweighted), and I was ranked 53th in my class of 550. Our valedictorian had a 1600 SAT, 4.4 (4.0 unweighted) GPA and was accepted to Harvard; the salutorian had a 1580, 4.3 GPA (4.0 unweighted) and was also accepted into Harvard.

Commuting from the East Cobb area to the airport takes around 35 minutes (sometimes up to an hour if you get into traffic). Cobb County has some of the lowest property taxes in GA, low crime rates, efficient PD, FD, EMS, and easily accessible CCWs. It is largely Republican as well.

Hope this helps, and we hope to see you soon
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:32:33 PM EST
Fayetteville, or Fayette County. If you try to fight the traffic from the north side of the airport, you will grow to hate the commute.

Avoid Peachtree City unless you really like excess rules and regulations. Think of PTC as a Homeowner's Associacion on steroids.

I loved working 2nd shift at ATL.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:30:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/24/2004 2:33:16 AM EST by chainshaw]
East Paulding County(Hiram or Dallas) or West Cobb County are very convenient to the airport. Camp Creek Parkway goes all the way into Paulding County. This means that you NEVER have to get on a freeway around Atlanta to get to the airport from this area. It is one road that is a straight shot that actually ends when it gets to the airport. I live 32 miles from the airport and even with traffic, I am at the airport in 50 minutes, without traffic, 35 minutes.

Paulding County has very affordable housing. It is still possible to get a 4 BR, 2.5 Bath, two story traditional in a swim & tennis community for around 190k to 250k. I work for a Virginia-based company (Auto Trader) and several of our people have moved to Atlanta from the DC area. They all moved to East Paulding or West Cobb, due to the affordability of nice houses.

Both of the areas that I mentioned have good school systems. The quality of the schools is definitely relevent to the level of activity from the parents. My children are in the East Paulding school system.

If you are serious and want to explore this area, IM me and I will give you my info.

Doug
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:45:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/24/2004 4:48:19 AM EST by Buzzstrike]

Originally Posted By ar-wrench:
Fayetteville, or Fayette County. If you try to fight the traffic from the north side of the airport, you will grow to hate the commute.

Avoid Peachtree City unless you really like excess rules and regulations. Think of PTC as a Homeowner's Associacion on steroids.

Second that. Peachtree City is a haven for those anal homeowners, who enjoy snitching on one another.

Fayetteville is not bad for a commute. There is no real direct way to the airport via interstate mostly two/four lane secondary roads. This is ok if you work 2nd/3rd shift. But for normal work hours. Ugh... The Fayetteville area is starting to grow due to the sprawl. Which is ok for some but not for some. The school systems there are above par vs the rest of the state (except Coweta). I have a few friends that live south of Fayetteville and they seem content with it.

I myself live out side of Newnan. In between Newnan and Peachtree city. More commonly called Thomas Crossroads. My kids (3 of them) all go to the above avg schools in the county. (Coweta that is) It take me 20-25 mins to go from driveway to company parking. Not bad for 2nds.

So what part of aviation do you come from. Do you fly them, or like myself, do your best to keep them from becoming large flamming lawn darts

Its always welcome to have another Virginan around, to bad your not from WEST VIRGINIA.

But I'll try not to hold that against you.

Buzz.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:03:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By Buzzstrike:

Originally Posted By ar-wrench:

So what part of aviation do you come from. Do you fly them, or like myself, do your best to keep them from becoming large flamming lawn darts

Buzz.

ok what dept. are you in?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:02:37 AM EST
Please don't move to Coweta County. We have too many outsiders here now.

Especially that Buzz guy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:28:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By GAcop:
Please don't move to Coweta County. We have too many outsiders here now.

Especially that Buzz guy.

I moved away from there so you can gain another outsider.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:27:38 PM EST
Thanks for the info and insight from all of you....

As to my job in aviation.....let's just say I am involved in "the safe and efficient movement of aluminum."

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:28:49 PM EST
I can make the ATL terminal in about 45 min from my east Cobb home on the weekend. I live in the Spayberry district which is pretty good. If you want a brand new house in E Cobb you are going to pay dearly because land is drying up. Many developments around my formerly "rural" subdivision are running $400k and up.

When I was looking 2.5 years ago I found some decently maintained 4/3 20 yo houses in Pope district in the $160s. I wanted to be closer t the interstate (7 min) so I paid a little more and live in a 25 year old house. Same house for me in IL would have cost twice as much and I'd be three times as far away from Chicago (ie jobs).

Check out the cost of private schools. With lower taxes and housing pmt it might even out.

You'll love the winters down here BTW. But it takes a couple summers to get used to the humidity. However the girls dress a little skimpier in the summer so it kind of evens out.
Top Top