Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 5:43:19 AM EDT
Gents,
I've been reading here and trying to figure out the legality regarding barrel lengths here in TX...I'll try to word my questions for Y/N answers...I've been looking at bushmasters with the 11.5 inch barrel set-up...

1. If I buy a complete ar with anything shorter than a 16 inch barrel, I know it is legal here in TX, but is there special paperwork that has to be filled out?

2. If I buy just an upper, can I have it sent directly to me even with the 11.5 in barrel set-up?

3. If I buy just an upper, and then later purchase a lower, when I attach it to the lower, is there anything required paperwork wise now that I have a complete rifle with the shorter barrel?

4. I know that shorter barrels equal decreased accuracy at longer ranges, but for 300 yards and less shooting, does the shorter barrel make that much difference?

Thanks a heap in advance for your help fellas.

Dan
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:01:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Gents,
Just answered my own questions for the first three...I found the FAQ doc on SBRs...

Any comments on number 4?...

Thanks.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:22:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Gents,
I've been reading here and trying to figure out the legality regarding barrel lengths here in TX...I'll try to word my questions for Y/N answers...I've been looking at bushmasters with the 11.5 inch barrel set-up...

1. If I buy a complete ar with anything shorter than a 16 inch barrel, I know it is legal here in TX, but is there special paperwork that has to be filled out?

2. If I buy just an upper, can I have it sent directly to me even with the 11.5 in barrel set-up?

3. If I buy just an upper, and then later purchase a lower, when I attach it to the lower, is there anything required paperwork wise now that I have a complete rifle with the shorter barrel?

4. I know that shorter barrels equal decreased accuracy at longer ranges, but for 300 yards and less shooting, does the shorter barrel make that much difference?

Thanks a heap in advance for your help fellas.

Dan

1. Yes, anything shorter then 16" would need to be registered as a Short BArrel Rifle. So it will take a few months and a $200 tax on it.

2. Yes

3. See #1. You can register one lower as an SBR then put what ever upper on it you want. So you can go from 11.5 to 24" if you want, but that lower is the registered one.

4.no clue, someone will probably come along that has one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:41:20 AM EDT
[#3]
From what I understand after reading various threads on this site,  the shorter barrel does not inherently mean decreased accuracy.  It does mean decreased velocity and a shorter fragmentation range.  

You can still have a short barreled accurate rifle out to a certain distance, where the loss of velocity will cause a small accuracy loss.

If you can, do some searches on short barrel accuracy. You should find some good info on the subject.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:02:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

No they dont.  They equal decreased velocity at all distances.... since their muzzle velocity will be less.

The quality of the barrel, and ammunition, has MUCH more effect over accuracy then anything else.

There are 10.5" Noveske barrels that hold 1" @ 100yds.  There are 16" DPMS bulls that I have seen hold .5MOA.  Quality of the bore and chamber has a much greater effect.  

Most rack grade AR's shoot better than 95% of AR shooters, anyway.... especially using anything other than handloads.

You could make an argument.... on the short barrels affecting accuracy, in two ways:

1.  Since your muzzle velocity is lower.... your bullet will go subsonic at a shorter distance.  This will affect accuracy when breaking into the subsonic range with most bullets.

2.  A slower bullet will be affected by high winds more... since the force of the wind has more time to affect the bullet POI.

These are negligible.... and especially negligible at 300yds or less.  Using a quality barrel, quality loads, and the ability to read wind will have a MUCH greater effect on general "accuracy" potential.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top