Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 3:44:00 PM EDT
I have always thought that a rail light would be great for home defense situations, but I was not sure if they had that much of an advantage over my hand-held tac light.  With this little bit of doubt in mind I set out on my search for a decent rail light that did not break the bank.  After some practice, if I fall in love with the idea of a rail light I may splurge for an M6.  For now though the LEDwave Z5, will suffice.  I must say that for the price I am very impressed.  This was $52.95 shipped from Marshfield Arms and the quality is more than I had expected.  The battery (2xCR123) housing is plastic, but the xenon bulb housing is metal.  It has 2 on options; constant or paused.   There is a bit of play when mounted to my 870 via a Wilson mount, however it locks onto my XD very tightly.  If you need a rail light on a budget I would highly recommend this one.  Here are the pics.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got the same light. Nice little M3 knockoff, and very bright.

I'm torn on their effectiveness in HD scenarios, I guess you can second guess it to death, but I tend to use the handheld/pistol combo more simply because I don't have to sweep everything the light does, but I like the Z5 for raccoon/coyote duty!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
but I tend to use the handheld/pistol combo more simply because I don't have to sweep everything the light does,

That is my thought exactly, and that would be the only reason to keep me from upgrading to an M6. Time will tell.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool, thanks for the review, I have used a M3 on my duty gun for around 4 years now and have had no problems, I was thinking of putting one on my 590 but did not feel like droping $103.00 on it. Sounds like this may be a good bet.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#4]
The ledwave is actually an outstanding light! I'm in the middle of a little test with one. I've had one railed up on a CZ P01, for now over 1200 rounds. NEVER a problem, or malfunction. Bright as all hell, with good batteries, and battery life is also impressive for a weaponlight under $100.

Also thanks for posting the pic, cuz on the EE I have a SA XD up for trade that has a new Z5 mounted. I have no way to take or post pics. So if you don't mind I'll direct all the people who asked what a Z5 looks like on an XD to your pic! lol

People are strange, and have strong opinions, but I would recommend this light to anyone.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So if you don't mind I'll direct all the people who asked what a Z5 looks like on an XD to your pic!

Not a problem.  Use it at will.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice. I've bought a couple of guns from Joe at Marshfield Arms before.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:25:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Nice. I've bought a couple of guns from Joe at Marshfield Arms before.

Good guy to deal with and the shipping is extremely fast.

Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top