Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 9/11/2004 6:12:52 AM EDT
Hi guys, first post in this section, though I've been poking around the hometown section for a week or so.

Just got my Varminter Special about 2 weeks ago. A buddy and I went to a private range last weekend (100 and 200 yard) and got my rifle broke in and did some plinking with his 20" A3.

The guy that owns the place said we are welcome any time, but it is a residence, and I definitely don't want to wear out or stress a welcome that was just offered, so I'm looking for a good place to shoot in Central Ohio TODAY! Sat the 11th.

100+ yards would be great - low fees if required etc.
Neither of us are spray and pray types, but we'd both like to shoot at a natural pace for semi auto "assult rifles" his
Any suggestions?

I've never been to a public range (aside from camp 25+ years ago) so I hope I wasn't spoiled too much by the private- shoot at your own pace- all day thing we did last weekend.

I'm in Delaware Ohio, buddy is in Zanesfield (near Bellefountaine) .
Would like to hook up with some other members here at some point.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:40:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Delaware has and ODNR range on the northern border just off of US23.

You can pick up a one day pass for $5 at wall mart or other similar places...

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:59:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks BigJ.

I called both the District office (message with hours) and the Area Manager (left VM) earlier this morning to get info on fees/regs/hours/etc. Was hoping someone would be in on the weekend.

Don't know if you can just pick up the permit and go?
It's a short hop from my house, just not sure on specifics.

*Just called walmart - guy didn't have any info on range hours... maybe you get an info pack with the permit?

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:01:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:13:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks shotar,

My buddy will be here in an hour or so, we'll check it out after a quick trip to Vance's.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:26:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Many of us shoot in Southern Ohio.
Don't know what part of Columbus you're in.
Looks like Northern Columbus.
We meet every month or so.
It is a very informal place to shoot, and we had about 40 people there Labor Day.
More normal is more like 10.
Full Auto OK.
www.millercampground.com/]www.millercampground.com/www.millercampground.com/
It's a little over an hour for me from west side of Columbus.
But it is worth the drive.
$25/yr or $5/day.  Pay when you show up, at the office/trailer at the campground.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#6]
The Delaware ODNR range is open from 9 to 5, you can buy a 1 day pass anywhere that sells hunting/fishing licenses. I think they're $3 for a one day. Walmart sells them, and there's a small gun store just west of the range that sells passes too. This time of year tho the range is BUSY, with all the deer jerkoffs (sorry if you're a deer jerkoff and I've offended you).
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm about 20 minutes or so north of Columbus.
Waynesville is a bit of a drive (been to the Renaissance festival a couple times), but it sounds like it would be worth it to get a good group together.

We ended up at the private range again. I called my FFL (my wifes best friends Husband - which works out real well) to ask a question,  and he was planning on going out anyway, so we tagged along.
Took a 12 of PBR for the guy that owns the place, and he said we could come out anytime we want. hootput a hurtin on Osama at 100 yards in low light conditions.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top