Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2011 9:31:44 AM EDT
I'm moving into a new neighborhood, but unfortunately it's too new.  Neither Comcast nor Charter service the neighborhood and AT&T only offers 6 mps DSL service.

Are there any other options?

TIA
USSA-1
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 9:49:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2011 9:49:37 AM EDT by LaRue556]
Do you get Clear coverage?

http://www.clear.com/coverage

They let you rent a little hotspot which provides 3g/4g through your house.

You can buy or rent the device itself, and pay for the service.

I used it for awhile when I got dumped off and was moving around the state on my own.

I don't know if it's fast enough for you, but it's convenient.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 10:15:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By USSA-1:
I'm moving into a new neighborhood, but unfortunately it's too new.  Neither Comcast nor Charter service the neighborhood and AT&T only offers 6 mps DSL service.

TIA
USSA-1

Only?  I can't get anything more than 3 mbs.  Well, actually I can but I refuse to ever give Cox another dime of my money.  BTW, 3mbs has always been plenty fast enough with 3 users and at least one video streaming on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 10:29:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2011 10:29:48 AM EDT by Lowtrac]
I'm in the same boat.  The only other option I have is HughesNet, which isn't really an option.  I've been on AT&T DSL for a couple of years now.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 10:48:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2011 10:49:31 AM EDT by thegooch]
Only option you have if there are no other ISP's that service your area are.
Clear (but it's pretty much limited to a small area outside Atlanta) it's wireless so packet loss, signal strength etc all mean your connection wont be nearly as stable as a hard line

Tethering a phone from either Verizon or AT&T (data caps in place and if you go over expect to pay $$$) it's wireless as well everything noted above applies
Basically 6MB service from AT&T is infinitely better than either option above.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:34:19 PM EDT
Only? I can't get anything more than 3 mbs

I've got 18 mbs with Charter, so having a 3x slower connection is not making me very happy at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:03:37 PM EDT

Only? I can't get anything more than 3 mbs

I've got 18 mbs with Charter, so having a 3x slower connection is not making me very happy at the moment.

Geeze... I feel spoiled with the 7.1 or so speedtest says we get.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:14:47 PM EDT
Going from a 18mbs connection without Charter, Knology, or Comcast...basically means your screwed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 2:42:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By thegooch:
Only option you have if there are no other ISP's that service your area are.

Clear (but it's pretty much limited to a small area outside Atlanta) it's wireless so packet loss, signal strength etc all mean your connection wont be nearly as stable as a hard line
Tethering a phone from either Verizon or AT&T (data caps in place and if you go over expect to pay $$$) it's wireless as well everything noted above applies

Basically 6Mb service from AT&T is infinitely better than either option above.  

This sums it up well.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:15:58 PM EDT

TIA
USSA-1

6mps should be ok i would assume.

i had a t1, and att DSL extreme 5+down, .5 up. discontinued the t1, got comcast 20 down, 10 up (biz class). but the ATT DSL works fine too as a back up if comcast is down.  this included downloading MSDN operating systems, development packages and Oracle databases. I also streamed Netflix with it and that worked fine too.

the comcast though is much faster, though i pay a lot for it with a set of static IP addresses.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:13:06 PM EDT
I'm tired of DSL lite from ATT, checked with Comcast they wanted $69.00 a month after 1st year.Clear barely works outside of downtown. Check out clearsucks.com
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:20:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By potenza:
I'm tired of DSL lite from ATT, checked with Comcast they wanted $69.00 a month after 1st year.Clear barely works outside of downtown. Check out clearsucks.com

What kind of promo rate did comcast offer?  You can work comcast like a 8.00/hr illegal alien when the 1st year is up.  They will always negotiate before they will lose a customer.  I always do that, I have them down to $130 for phone, inet and cable.  When the 12 months is over call cust service and tell them that you are changing providers b/c they are too expensive.  They'll cave.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:09:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BoilingToad:
Originally Posted By potenza:

What kind of promo rate did comcast offer?  You can work comcast like a 8.00/hr illegal alien when the 1st year is up.  They will always negotiate before they will lose a customer.  I always do that, I have them down to $130 for phone, inet and cable.  When the 12 months is over call cust service and tell them that you are changing providers b/c they are too expensive.  They'll cave.

$29 6 months free modem, $39 last 6 then $69

Top Top