Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2011 9:31:44 AM EDT
I'm moving into a new neighborhood, but unfortunately it's too new.  Neither Comcast nor Charter service the neighborhood and AT&T only offers 6 mps DSL service.

Are there any other options?

TIA
USSA-1
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you get Clear coverage?

http://www.clear.com/coverage

They let you rent a little hotspot which provides 3g/4g through your house.

You can buy or rent the device itself, and pay for the service.

I used it for awhile when I got dumped off and was moving around the state on my own.

I don't know if it's fast enough for you, but it's convenient.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm moving into a new neighborhood, but unfortunately it's too new.  Neither Comcast nor Charter service the neighborhood and AT&T only offers 6 mps DSL service.

TIA
USSA-1

Only?  I can't get anything more than 3 mbs.  Well, actually I can but I refuse to ever give Cox another dime of my money.  BTW, 3mbs has always been plenty fast enough with 3 users and at least one video streaming on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm in the same boat.  The only other option I have is HughesNet, which isn't really an option.  I've been on AT&T DSL for a couple of years now.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Only option you have if there are no other ISP's that service your area are.
Clear (but it's pretty much limited to a small area outside Atlanta) it's wireless so packet loss, signal strength etc all mean your connection wont be nearly as stable as a hard line

Tethering a phone from either Verizon or AT&T (data caps in place and if you go over expect to pay $$$) it's wireless as well everything noted above applies
Basically 6MB service from AT&T is infinitely better than either option above.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Only? I can't get anything more than 3 mbs

I've got 18 mbs with Charter, so having a 3x slower connection is not making me very happy at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Only? I can't get anything more than 3 mbs

I've got 18 mbs with Charter, so having a 3x slower connection is not making me very happy at the moment.

Geeze... I feel spoiled with the 7.1 or so speedtest says we get.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Going from a 18mbs connection without Charter, Knology, or Comcast...basically means your screwed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Only option you have if there are no other ISP's that service your area are.

Clear (but it's pretty much limited to a small area outside Atlanta) it's wireless so packet loss, signal strength etc all mean your connection wont be nearly as stable as a hard line
Tethering a phone from either Verizon or AT&T (data caps in place and if you go over expect to pay $$$) it's wireless as well everything noted above applies

Basically 6Mb service from AT&T is infinitely better than either option above.  

This sums it up well.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

TIA
USSA-1

6mps should be ok i would assume.

i had a t1, and att DSL extreme 5+down, .5 up. discontinued the t1, got comcast 20 down, 10 up (biz class). but the ATT DSL works fine too as a back up if comcast is down.  this included downloading MSDN operating systems, development packages and Oracle databases. I also streamed Netflix with it and that worked fine too.

the comcast though is much faster, though i pay a lot for it with a set of static IP addresses.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm tired of DSL lite from ATT, checked with Comcast they wanted $69.00 a month after 1st year.Clear barely works outside of downtown. Check out clearsucks.com
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm tired of DSL lite from ATT, checked with Comcast they wanted $69.00 a month after 1st year.Clear barely works outside of downtown. Check out clearsucks.com

What kind of promo rate did comcast offer?  You can work comcast like a 8.00/hr illegal alien when the 1st year is up.  They will always negotiate before they will lose a customer.  I always do that, I have them down to $130 for phone, inet and cable.  When the 12 months is over call cust service and tell them that you are changing providers b/c they are too expensive.  They'll cave.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of promo rate did comcast offer?  You can work comcast like a 8.00/hr illegal alien when the 1st year is up.  They will always negotiate before they will lose a customer.  I always do that, I have them down to $130 for phone, inet and cable.  When the 12 months is over call cust service and tell them that you are changing providers b/c they are too expensive.  They'll cave.

$29 6 months free modem, $39 last 6 then $69

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top