Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/5/2012 7:56:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2012 7:54:38 AM EDT by Wingnut116ACW]
I am in the final stages of a project that has spanned almost two years. I am building a live 60mm mortar and am down to my last piece. I am in dire need of a cup for my M2 mortar and thusfar I have been unable to find anyone with one to sell or willing to make one. I have engineering drawings/blueprints for the production of one and need a machinist or gunsmith that can produce one in the Vegas area.

Now, in order to remain legal, I either have to be there during the machining or it has to be produced under an FFL as a title 1 weapon with no barrel present. As soon as I can find someone to produce my cup, I'm going to send off my tube to get Cerakoted (in order to not run afoul of 'constructive intent') while the Form 1 is clearing the ATF.

So, can anyone recommend a local machineshop or gunsmith that would take on this rather unique project? I may also have some follow-on work with projectiles/fuze designs I've been working on.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:01:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 11:02:14 PM EDT by warlocke]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:38:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Wingnut116ACW:
I may also have some follow-on work with projectiles/fuze designs I've been working on.

I have a NFA registered 60 mm M2 mortar. I'd be interested in putting some $$ towards the effort to get some projectiles and/or fuzes made when you get to that point.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:06:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By warlocke:
check with matt babb

http://www.bentwoodgunsmithing.com/

He referred me to another company. They said they only made display cups, not suitable for making a live DD.

As far as projos, I have a notional design for a basic spotting round that is reloadable that uses a shotgun blank as a bursting charge.

Here is a fun fact, the aluminum Bud Light bottles are 60mm in diameter and, when a nut is pressfit into the neck of the bottle from the inside for the fins, makes a fairly convincing dummy round.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:31:41 AM EDT
Since this would be a Title I item, you might try Smith Enterprise, Inc. (Tempe, AZ).
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:36:39 AM EDT
I'll see if they'd take on a one-off project like this. My other goal of finding a local machinist for development of projo/fuze design was driving me to stay with a local vendor, but my highest priority right now is to turn my rather expensive scrap pile into an artillery piece.

And, as a side note Different, if you know anyone looking for a baseplate for their own mortar build, I have an extra sitting around.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:53:43 AM EDT
Don't know if he'd be interested, but you could try Doc at Accuracy Gunshop.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:50:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:53:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2012 11:56:52 AM EDT by Wingnut116ACW]
Yep, that was me. I followed the referrals to ground and got no luck out of them. I've waited 2 years to finish the project, i can wait a month or so more.

I'll drop by in early Feb to get a quote from you guys.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:44:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Wingnut116ACW:
And, as a side note Different, if you know anyone looking for a baseplate for their own mortar build, I have an extra sitting around.

No problem and thank you for sharing.

Top Top