Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2012 7:56:59 PM EDT
I am in the final stages of a project that has spanned almost two years.  I am building a live 60mm mortar and am down to my last piece.  I am in dire need of a cup for my M2 mortar and thusfar I have been unable to find anyone with one to sell or willing to make one.  I have engineering drawings/blueprints for the production of one and need a machinist or gunsmith that can produce one in the Vegas area.  

Now, in order to remain legal, I either have to be there during the machining or it has to be produced under an FFL as a title 1 weapon with no barrel present.  As soon as I can find someone to produce my cup, I'm going to send off my tube to get Cerakoted (in order to not run afoul of 'constructive intent') while the Form 1 is clearing the ATF.

So, can anyone recommend a local machineshop or gunsmith that would take on this rather unique project?  I may also have some follow-on work with projectiles/fuze designs I've been working on.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:38:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I may also have some follow-on work with projectiles/fuze designs I've been working on.

I have a NFA registered 60 mm M2 mortar.  I'd be interested in putting some $$ towards the effort to get some projectiles and/or fuzes made when you get to that point.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:06:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
check with matt babb

http://www.bentwoodgunsmithing.com/

He referred me to another company.  They said they only made display cups, not suitable for making a live DD.

As far as projos, I have a notional design for a basic spotting round that is reloadable that uses a shotgun blank as a bursting charge.  

Here is a fun fact, the aluminum Bud Light bottles are 60mm in diameter and, when a nut is pressfit into the neck of the bottle from the inside for the fins, makes a fairly convincing dummy round.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Since this would be a Title I item, you might try Smith Enterprise, Inc. (Tempe, AZ).
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:36:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll see if they'd take on a one-off project like this.  My other goal of finding a local machinist for development of projo/fuze design was driving me to stay with a local vendor, but my highest priority right now is to turn my rather expensive scrap pile into an artillery piece.  

And, as a side note Different, if you  know anyone looking for a baseplate for their own mortar build, I have an extra sitting around.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't know if he'd be interested, but you could try Doc at Accuracy Gunshop.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:53:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep, that was me.  I followed the referrals to ground and got no luck out of them.  I've waited 2 years to finish the project, i can wait a month or so more.

I'll drop by in early Feb to get a quote from you guys.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
And, as a side note Different, if you  know anyone looking for a baseplate for their own mortar build, I have an extra sitting around.

No problem and thank you for sharing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top