Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2003 12:21:15 PM EDT
Hey guys,

Anyone know a good gunsmith who has experience and examples of his work at installing a muzzle brake on an AR here in Dallas ?  I know I could send my upper off to KKF or Wilson, but I hate all of the shipping and waiting for results.

The best gunsmith I know, at Gunmaster, no longer installs AR brakes as he is unsure of the current laws and just doesn't want to mess with it.

I have called a couple who said they could do it, but it sounded like it would be a new adventure to them rather than something they do all the time.

What's the best installation option anyway ? Is pinning considered acceptible, or must it be welded. If welded, does that mean that you'll need to get barrel refinished ?

I'm open for suggestions....

Ed
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:53:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you talked with John at K2 Sports?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:03:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto on John at K2 sports.
He has done a lot of work for me. I highly recommend them.
He has put a muzzle break on my post ban AR too.
Looks great.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like John at K2 is the way to go.

What does he do exactly ? Weld ? Pin ? If weld, did your barrel look the same when done ?

Thanks

Ed
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#4]
He threads the barrel and welds the brake on.

Looks like it came straight from the factory.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:04:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Ditto, K2 is the way to go.

He is a great guy.  I just dropped off two guns at this shop.

Call ahead.

www.k2-sports.com

Stay on the service road to get to his shop.  The east side of the industrial complex is blocked by DART light rail.  You can enter from the northside of Arapaho, or from the service road.

His website has three great images to use to locate the store.

TRG
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:12:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the help guys. Sounds like K2 is the way to go. Talked to John there yesterday and am taking my Bushy in today.

I feel much more confident now. Several of the 'smiths I talked to I know are competent guys, but welding a muzzle brake on an AR seemed like new ground to them.

I guess this is just a specialized art that you have to work at to be good at.

Ed

BTW, John said that there is a discount to ar15.com members. I joined via paypal...now what? Never got any indication that I am an offical member now. What's the procedure ??
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:27:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top