Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2006 3:32:34 PM EDT
OK, I got a ticket on Thursday with 3 violations -- ouch!  I haven't had a moving violation in 5 years and have never had a speeding ticket.

Anyway, as I am trying to read the OR DMV website, it may be saying that I could have my license restricted!  That has NEVER happened to me.  If the potential is for me to lose some driving privileges, I want to fight this with a pro who knows what he'she's doing.

So, do you guys know anyone?
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 4:15:25 PM EDT
[#1]
What were the violations?
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#2]
IM sent.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Four moving violations in a year can get your license suspended.  I kind of doubut that all three things you were cited for were moving violations - come are probably equipment violations.

3 at once, ouch!  You must have pissed him off or he was having a bad day (or it was a motor cop.)
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#4]
As far as fighting the tickets, it depends on what they are and what agency it was.  Need more info to provide more help.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I can represent you!  

*ETA* Whoops Peta beat me to it!
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:34:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds to me like you are screwed.  Especially since the violations are of a nature that you don't want to say what they are in public.  :)
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#8]
What was the location?  I've been to traffic court in every county in OR (minus the Eastside).  Regardless, even with a DUI you don't necessarily loose your license and there are always hardship permits which allow you to drive for work.  I might be able to offer some advice.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#9]

3 at once, ouch! You must have pissed him off or he was having a bad day (or it was a motor cop.)

The latter two.  He actually calmed down when he talked to me & saw that I was a respectful-to-LEO, civil person.  There had been a bad accident up the road and I think he was fresh from that, adrenaline probably running high and he was probably tired of seeing people get hurt.  And yeah, he was a bike cop too.

Anyway I found an att'y and we'll pursue this.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've been to traffic court in every county in OR (minus the Eastside).

So you've only been to traffic court in half the counties in OR.

Regardless, even with a DUI you don't necessarily loose your license and there are always hardship permits which allow you to drive for work.  I might be able to offer some advice.

Dude, you really need to learn to keep your mouth shut (or fingers off the keyboard) when you don't know WTF you are laking about.  Ever had a DUII or are you a criminal defense lawyer?  You have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to DUII.  

If you get popped for DUII and blow .08 or higer, you WILL lose your license for at least 30 days.  You can also lose your license even if you blow under .08.  Hell you can be convicted of DUII with a .00 intox blow.  

And I bet you didn't know there is a civil law and a criminal law side to every DUII in Oregon, did ya?

Go back to talking about something you know (and apparently it isn't driving, based on your traffic court count).
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If you get popped for DUII and blow .08 or higer, you WILL lose your license for at least 30 days.  You can also lose your license even if you blow under .08.  Hell you can be convicted of DUII with a .00 intox blow.  

And I bet you didn't know there is a civil law and a criminal law side to every DUII in Oregon, did ya?

Go back to talking about something you know (and apparently it isn't driving, based on your traffic court count).

I understand you are just looking to fight with me and I won't go there, I am just offering my help/advice if he so is interested.  But yes, I am aware of the traffic and the criminal side of a DUII.  Depending on the circumstances you dont always loose your license in a DUII conviction.  But yes, 95% of the time you do. For example, if you win your civil case but loose the criminal, you are technically convicted of a DUII but you do not loose your DL.

And I agree with you on being able to get DUII's with .00BAC. I even know of cases where DUII's are giving to people not driving.

Going to traffic court has nothing to do with ones driving habits and your basing that on an asumption.  There are many types of tickets which are ruled on in "traffic court".
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I understand you are just looking to fight with me

Not looking to fight, I'm looking to keep people from passing bad info and you seem to be fond of talking about subjects that you "think" you know about, but don't.

Depending on the circumstances you dont always loose your license in a DUII conviction.  But yes, 95% of the time you do. For example, if you win your civil case but loose the criminal, you are technically convicted of a DUII but you do not loose your DL.

Again, you are wrong.  Civil sanctions can result in a license suspension (not counting any hardship license grant) of 90 days to lifetime, depending on the number of prior DUII and BUI convictions.  Those suspensions are automatic, unless the defendant prevails at a DMV civil hearing.  That has noting to do with any criminal charges relating to the DUII.  

If the defendant is convicted criminally of DUII, they can again receive a suspension that could be added to any civil sanction they may have received.  If the defendant prevails at the civil hearing, they can still be convicted of DUII and have their license suspended.

Going to traffic court has nothing to do with ones driving habits

It doesn't?  People go to "traffic court" (which can be held in municipal, justice or circuit court) becuase the received a citation for a violation of the Oregon vehicle code.  I suppose someone could be dumb enough to go to "traffic court" for an equipment violation, but if they're that stupid, they probably shouldn't be driving.

There are many types of tickets which are ruled on in "traffic court".

Only violations of the Oregon vehicle code.

Face it Mike, you're over your head on this topic and are giving out bad information.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#13]
OK let me be clear:  IT WAS NOT DUI OR DUII OR DWI OR ANYTHING ELSE INVOLVING DRUGS/ALCOHOL. OK?  It was an improper lane change and the officer also tacked on a "careless driving" on top of all that which was not warranted.  Hence the lawyer.

Hell you can be convicted of DUII with a .00 intox blow.

Now THAT is interesting....tell me more

So WS4LIF...are you saying I shouldn't speed thru Beaverton...?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Again, you are wrong.  Civil sanctions can result in a license suspension (not counting any hardship license grant) of 90 days to lifetime, depending on the number of prior DUII and BUI convictions. Those suspensions are automatic, unless the defendant prevails at a DMV civil hearing.  That has noting to do with any criminal charges relating to the DUII.  

I agree with that statement 100%.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Just a heads up to please keep this civil or it will be locked

vs. criminal.

I crack myself up...

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh, BTW, while I've never had a driving infraction (or any ticket apart from parking) in Oregon, I've had a bunch in Washington.  While there I learned to dispute the ticket, go to court and fight it out.  I've won every fight and in all but one, the cop never showed up (the states witness) so I argued a motion to dismiss as the states witness wasn't there.  [David Lee Roth] Class dismissed! Ugh!!![/DLR]

I fight the IRS too but that’s another story
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

In Oregon DUII = Driving Under the Influence of Intoxicants.  Intoxicants includes alcohol, but isn't limted to it.  You can get a DUII for driving under the influence of illegal drugs, prescription drugs, over the counter medications, etc.  

You can also b charged with DUII while "operating" a bicycle, stakeboard, wheelchair, go-kart, scooter, etc. if it's done on a highway or premise open to the public (public parking lots, etc.).

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#21]
So some old geezer can get a ticket for going through a yellow light in his wheelchair while in the crosswalk and get a DUI for being under the influence of decongestant cough medicine that is only available by prescription in Oregon due to meth laws.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#22]

So some old geezer can get a ticket for going through a yellow light in his wheelchair while in the crosswalk and get a DUI for being under the influence of decongestant cough medicine that is only available by prescription in Oregon due to meth laws.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
It was an improper lane change and the officer also tacked on a "careless driving" on top of all that which was not warranted.  Hence the lawyer.

that is strange...  You got improper lane change AND careless?  what was the 3rd one?  did you not have your insurance or license or something like that?  or was it an equipment violation?

On the DUII under .08...  the cop just has to prove that you were impared.  They don't have to prove your BAC level.  BAC is just one piece of evidence in the whole picture.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Just a heads up to please keep this civil or it will be locked

Did someone say keep it CIVIL???  I'm here!!

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Good luck Hartmann!  

Are you using the recommendation from my "people"?  

In any case ask my "people" where they found said recommendation.  It's a hell of a story.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It was an improper lane change and the officer also tacked on a "careless driving" on top of all that which was not warranted.  Hence the lawyer.

that is strange...  You got improper lane change AND careless?  what was the 3rd one?  did you not have your insurance or license or something like that?  or was it an equipment violation?

On the DUII under .08...  the cop just has to prove that you were impared.  They don't have to prove your BAC level.  BAC is just one piece of evidence in the whole picture.

I vote that the third charge was no seat belt...
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:14:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Sheesh people, it was improper lane change, failure to use signal, and careless.  OK?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:15:31 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Good luck Hartmann!  

Are you using the recommendation from my "people"?  

Yep!  Thank you!

In any case ask my "people" where they found said recommendation.  It's a hell of a story.  

Will do...we'll have plenty of time on Friday & Saturday...
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#29]
OK all things must come to an end, even threads like this.

Peta: lock away please!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:22:25 AM EDT
[#30]
thread originator's request
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top