Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2009 12:46:00 PM EDT
I bought a LaRue 7" fore-end and need a shop on LI to have it installed. I called the local place where I've had previous gunsmithing done and they gave me a price of $100. This seemed a little high to me so I figured I'd ask the collective for some input.

P.S. I wanted to do it myself but trying to find a barrel wrench or any AR specific tools right now is damn near impossible!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#2]
while the $20 wrench is OK, remember it has to be torqued very specifically.  The guys at Classic in Mineola offered to do mine for free but I wound up having to send it back to LMT anyway, and had the guy at the factory do it for free...give them a call.

http://www.classicfirearmsny.com/

$100 for 5 minutes to turn a nut is a little much...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:14:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never torqued one ever. It's not that critical.

In fact on one of the better shooting AR's I owned, the FF tube used to rock back and forth it was so loose. Shot it that way for years. The gas tube was the only thing keeping it from unscrewing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I know I saw some being installed at Camp-Site in Huntington.  They have a gunsmith service.

Its a great place, I buy a lot of stuff there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Back in January I installed a free floating hand guard on my rifle. I also had a hard time trying to find someone to do it for what I considered reasonable. I ended up buying a wrench and an upper action block, already had a torque wrench. If you're interested I can loan you my tools and you can do it yourself. I'm gonna require a deposit on the tools though, and you've either got to come get them in Hudson county NJ, or pay shipping both ways. I don't want any money for actually lending them to you. If you're interested send me a PM.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you can't do it yourself you can always ship it off to ADCO.

this. especially if you've got a permed brake. you'll have to buy a new brake too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
while the $20 wrench is OK, remember it has to be torqued very specifically.  The guys at Classic in Mineola offered to do mine for free but I wound up having to send it back to LMT anyway, and had the guy at the factory do it for free...give them a call.

http://www.classicfirearmsny.com/

$100 for 5 minutes to turn a nut is a little much...

Go to Autozone and rent a torque wrench.  Or just snug the nut down 3 times until the gas tube lines up with the next gap.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#9]
try going to a gunshow, they have AR wrenches everywhere. Its not worth sending it out just for a Larue handguard because those can be put on in 5-10m if you find a wrench
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know I saw some being installed at Camp-Site in Huntington.  They have a gunsmith service.

Its a great place, I buy a lot of stuff there.

They put my barrel on, and obviously they needed to remove and reinstall the FF rail to do it. They did a good job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top