Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/25/2005 10:52:31 AM EDT
What is available in the Nashville area as far as handgun/rifle/shotgun training? I am interested in improving my skills starting with the handgun and moving up from there.

THANKS!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:08:04 AM EDT
www.TacticalResponse.com

Located in Camden, TN.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:11:51 PM EDT
What sort of skills are you needing upgrades with? Combat shooting? Bullseye? Skeet? CCL?

There's several shooters in the TN forum who can help you quite a bit. Additional steps would be start shooting IDPA/IPSC and/or 3 Gun Matches as these simulate stress reloads & the like.

If you'd be a bit more specific in your request & state your level of training and/or experience, we should be able to offer a bit better suggestions.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:57:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2005 11:18:29 PM EDT by Hank]
www.prifirearmstraining.com

40MIKE

edited to make hot... -Hank
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:18:29 AM EDT
Bob Cole-Thanks for the reply!

I should have stated that I have a carry permit and have been shooting for 30 years. I want to improve my handgun combat skills and then moveup to my AR15 skills, then shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:14:30 PM EDT
The best thing, IMO, to sharpen what you specified is to enter some local shooting matches. These matches allow stress to be placed upon you that a class cannot do, IMO. Specifically, 3 Gun matches use the handgun, shotgun & rifle so this will quickly allow you to find what works, what won't work & by observing those who are much smoother, allows you to learn from them. As Yogi Berra once said, "You can observe a lot by watching."

Not to take away from the expertise claimed by those who teach their so-called "tactical" classes, I would like to see how well they would do in some of the matches I do so poorly in?

The next 3 Gun match is in Nov, in Manchester, IIRC.

My .o2
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:44:47 PM EDT

Not to take away from the expertise claimed by those who teach their so-called "tactical" classes, I would like to see how well they would do in some of the matches I do so poorly in?

A lot of those experts, particularly the guys from Tactical Response, didn't get to be experts by shooting in sanitized 3-gun matches. They got to be experts by competing in, and surviving the only game that truly matters, the Two-Way LiveFire, aka combat.

Competitions are great training tools, as they can kind of replicate the stresses induced in a gunfight. However, they shouldn't be the only tool in your training repetoire. Some good instruction, conducted by a reputable teacher, can go a long way to improving your ability to survive. Good training and competition, when combined, can do a lot for helping one survive.

One of these days, I'll actually be able to afford to take a weekend off of work AND still be able to afford to go to one of the better schools in the country. Unfortunately, being a chef, my weekends are pretty well booked and very few training schools conduct classes on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Oh, and BTW, don't waste your money getting any training from Buford Tune at APPS (off of Murfreesboro Rd, Nashville). Buford may have been a Metro cop for 27 years, but he's now an over-opinionated blowhard. He's a legend in his own mind! He spends most of his classtime telling stories about how great a cop he was and how he was stabbed several times. Then, when it's time to take a written test, he has the whole class answer in unison, so that they can all pass and get their Private Security License and carry a gun, protecting somebody's property. A retarded monkey could pass one of his classes. If you simply want to pass a class, give your money to him, you'll pass, it's gauranteed. If you want to actually get your money's worth and learn something, go see someone else, such as James Yeager at Tactical Response.

Just my two ducats.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:59:19 AM EDT
OEF_VET,
Our 2006 schedule will include several weekday classes.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:03:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/27/2005 4:03:38 PM EDT by BobCole]

Originally Posted By OEF_VET:

A lot of those experts, particularly the guys from Tactical Response, didn't get to be experts by shooting in sanitized 3-gun matches. They got to be experts by competing in, and surviving the only game that truly matters, the Two-Way LiveFire, aka combat.
When I can see their credentials and/or military medals, then I will agree with you. Until then, I merely claim to know nothing about them. YMMV.

Oh, and BTW, don't waste your money getting any training from Buford Tune at APPS (off of Murfreesboro Rd, Nashville). Buford may have been a Metro cop for 27 years, but he's now an over-opinionated blowhard. He's a legend in his own mind!
Have you spoken to him personally about this, sir??????

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:24:57 PM EDT

Oh, and BTW, don't waste your money getting any training from Buford Tune at APPS (off of Murfreesboro Rd, Nashville). Buford may have been a Metro cop for 27 years, but he's now an over-opinionated blowhard. He's a legend in his own mind!
Have you spoken to him personally about this, sir??????

I did attend his two-day armed security certification class. Those two days were enough for me to form an opinion of how he conducts his classes. As to whether I've told him to his face how I feel about him personally, no I haven't. I doubt my opinion of him matters much to Buford, which is fine with me. So, I don't believe it would be prudent or wise to get into a pissing match with the man about such matters. For certainly he would get offended (not that I would blame him) and then get defensive (again, not to be blamed). From there, the whole discussion would go nowhere but downward, and that, my friend is not a discussion in which I desire to be involved.

I do, however, believe that there are other instructors in the area who are better qualified and more competent than Mr. Tune. Therefore, I will not hesitate to tell others that they would be better served to seek instruction elsewhere. Of course, YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:32:21 AM EDT
Competitions are a good place to practice what you learn in training. A lot of things that work for competition aren't necessarily good habbits for defensive situations. I'd reccomend taking a class or two before you start shooting competition. This will give you the base skills you need to be practicing. You won't necesarily do as well competing, but you will have the stress of the clock and need to be accurate. I wish I could reccomend somebody local to you, I'm from the wrong part of the state.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:22:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By OEF_VET:

As to whether I've told him to his face how I feel about him personally, no I haven't. I doubt my opinion of him matters much to Buford, which is fine with me. So, I don't believe it would be prudent or wise to get into a pissing match with the man about such matters. For certainly he would get offended (not that I would blame him) and then get defensive (again, not to be blamed). From there, the whole discussion would go nowhere but downward, and that, my friend is not a discussion in which I desire to be involved.
Yet you have no problem trashing the man on the internet & using his real name while hiding behind a screen name. This seem right or fair to you, sir?

I do, however, believe that there are other instructors in the area who are better qualified and more competent than Mr. Tune. Therefore, I will not hesitate to tell others that they would be better served to seek instruction elsewhere. Of course, YMMV.
I would have thought better of you had you merely written this instead of your character assassination of Buford.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:06:00 AM EDT
Bob,
Have you ever taken a professional firearms training course?

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:57:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ShackleMeNot:
Bob,

Aside from the Marines & my piddling little CCL course, no.

I have read extensively on the subject & I have been involved in a shooting, neither of which I grant makes me any more knowledgeable than your average mall ninja.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:11:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BobCole:

Originally Posted By ShackleMeNot:
Bob,

Aside from the Marines & my piddling little CCL course, no.

I have read extensively on the subject & I have been involved in a shooting, neither of which I grant makes me any more knowledgeable than your average mall ninja.

Originally Posted By BobCole:
Not to take away from the expertise claimed by those who teach their so-called "tactical" classes...

Who are you refering to here? Do you know these trainers personally?

How do you know what is taught in "tactical" firearms training never having been to a class?

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:37:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:43:12 AM EDT
Hey guys,
For what its worth, I know both Bob and James from Tactical response. Both are good guys and James has seen the elephant most recently in the same area of operations I am currently working in.
Tac Response offers good classes, I would go.
Joe
Top Top