Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2003 5:40:48 PM EDT
Well a family friend of mine has a ranch in Southern OK. His 17 yo son was out bow hunting this weekend and found a poucher. The poacher wouldn't answer his calls and then circled around in the brush behind the kid's tree stand. The kid had the brains to bug out and did so. the next day the poacher was back b/c they found tracks, blood and a cut fence.

I'm friends with the kid and told him I'd go up there with him one weekend. I'm 21, and have a TX CHL application in the works but I have no license yet. Any reason I can get to get out in the woods. There are hog there too

I was wondering what the law says about carrying a handgun during deer season in OK. If I open carry on private property am I ok?

What about if I carry a slung AR? 30rd mag?

I'm posting in another thread about ideas on how to deal with this situation.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 7:13:48 AM EDT
[#1]

I was wondering what the law says about carrying a handgun during deer season in OK.

You must have a concealed carry permit, as recognized under Oklahoma law, to carry a concealed weapon during any hunting season, deer or otherwise.

If I open carry on private property am I ok?

Oklahoma law has no provisions for open carry. However, if you have permission from the property owner, this is a non-issue.

As long as you're not hunting.

I'm posting in another thread about ideas on how to deal with this situation.

Ever thought about calling the game ranger or sheriff's office?
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 11:27:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

As long as you're not hunting.

How exactly would I show that I'm not hunting?
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd bet that if you email [email protected] and ask him those same questions, he'll give you the proper legal answers.

AFAIK, open carry while hunting is hunky dory as long as you have the proper tags and a weapon that is legal to hunt with.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#4]

How exactly would I show that I'm not hunting?

Well, a little common sense goes a long way. If someone were to see or report you to the authorities that you were hunting or shooting at game animals, you'd be looking at a little explaining. Since you're not the property owner in this case, and assuming that the property owner hasn't granted you specific permission to act on his behalf on this matter, I don't really see how you have a dog in this fight. You could be up shit creek without a paddle if you try to get involved.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd be with the property owner and/or on the property with his permission. I volounteered b/c they are family friends and his dad can't be out there with him all the time.

How about being helpful instead of critical? What is it with this site lately?
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#6]

How about being helpful instead of critical? What is it with this site lately?

Based on your age and willingness to use deadly force, I'm of the mind that you're not anywhere mature enough to intervene in this matter.

Secondly, your 17-year-old friend is not the property owner nor can he be legally designated to act as one.

In the mean time, you need to read up on the case that occurred near Pawnee about ten years ago. A rancher used deadly force on a pair of spotlighters thinking that the "Make My Day" law applied. It doesn't and he wound up convicted of manslaughter.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 3:07:21 PM EDT
[#7]
My god. What is it with some people. Every thread turns into this. I DO NOT want to use deadly force. I am however COMFORTABLE USING DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT MYSELF. Aren't you?

And as I've said the Game warden has been contacted but they can't camp out there. Its a large county. Obviously getting some sort of ID on the poacher and giving that information to the LE / Game warden is the safest and best course of action.

You have no basis for judging me on whether or not I should be carrying etc, on anything related. You, sir, are not helping me. I bet you'd be saying something different if I said I was 40.

I am not even thinking about just opening up on any random unidentified person who walks onto some random piece of property. Thats stupid! So if you'd like to discuss this further take it to IM because this is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 3:29:33 PM EDT
[#8]

My god. What is it with some people. Every thread turns into this. I DO NOT want to use deadly force. I am however COMFORTABLE USING DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT MYSELF. Aren't you?

And as I've said the Game warden has been contacted but they can't camp out there. Its a large county. Obviously getting some sort of ID on the poacher and giving that information to the LE / Game warden is the safest and best course of action.

You have no basis for judging me on whether or not I should be carrying etc, on anything related. You, sir, are not helping me. I bet you'd be saying something different if I said I was 40.

I am not even thinking about just opening up on any random unidentified person who walks onto some random piece of property. Thats stupid! So if you'd like to discuss this further take it to IM because this is ridiculous.

You asked for advice. As an Oklahoma resident, lifetime hunting licensee, property owner IN SOUTHERN OKLAHOMA, and someone who takes more than just a passing interest in matters of poaching and trespassing, I gave my advice. If you don't like the answers, DON'T ASK THE QUESTIONS. Pretty damned simple idea.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 4:07:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You asked for advice. As an Oklahoma resident, lifetime hunting licensee, property owner IN SOUTHERN OKLAHOMA, and someone who takes more than just a passing interest in matters of poaching and trespassing, I gave my advice. If you don't like the answers, DON'T ASK THE QUESTIONS. Pretty damned simple idea.

I don't seen any advice you've offered that hasn't been mentioned already or that I've acknowledged several times as being pretty damned obvious. As a property owner perhaps you would have some advise but instead you've called my blood thirsty and, in essence, immature. Giving advice is a pretty damned simple idea, apparently not simple enough. If you don't like this thread don't post; there's another simple idea for you.

OH and BTW, way to go taking it to IM.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#10]

I don't seen any advice you've offered that hasn't been mentioned already or that I've acknowledged several times as being pretty damned obvious. As a property owner perhaps you would have some advise but instead you've called my blood thirsty and, in essence, immature. Giving advice is a pretty damned simple idea, apparently not simple enough. If you don't like this thread don't post; there's another simple idea for you.

It all comes down to the property owner taking action and you are NOT the property owner. Therefore, you're asking for trouble by interjecting yourself. When I encounter people I don't want on my property, I tell them to leave and contact the sheriff's department and game ranger and provide their names, tag numbers, and descriptions if any of that information was gathered. There's no violence offered or intimated. If you don't want me posting in your thread, then stay the hell out of the forums I frequent.

OH and BTW, way to go taking it to IM.

I see no requirement that I participate in any IMs, do you?
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 3:35:52 AM EDT
[#12]
My suggestion is to always carry a pen, paper, scope or binoculars and a cell phone. If you see these individuals, observe from a safe distance, make plenty of notes about time, date, location, descriptions, tags, vehicles, weapons and activities and try to report to the local authorities at the time of occurance. Do NOT ever try to aproach any of them. Leave this to law enforcement authorities. This is for your own safety and there are too many liability and legal issues involved in todays society.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I just thought of something.  Whether you have a gun with you or not is up to you.  Whether it's legal or not, I don't know.  You might think about having a camera (digital or otherwise) with a good zoom.  Let the kid hunt for deer and you take pics of the poacher if he shows again.  Zoom in if you can to get more detail. Then you can turn over the pictures to the game warden and say "here ya go, poacher."
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I just thought of something.  Whether you have a gun with you or not is up to you.  Whether it's legal or not, I don't know.  You might think about having a camera (digital or otherwise) with a good zoom.  Let the kid hunt for deer and you take pics of the poacher if he shows again.  Zoom in if you can to get more detail. Then you can turn over the pictures to the game warden and say "here ya go, poacher."

Yeah Kind of been thinking of that. I mainly started this thread to find out whether I can have a handgun or an AR with me in the woods during deer season with more than 5 rounds in it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Yeah Kind of been thinking of that. I mainly started this thread to find out whether I can have a handgun or an AR with me in the woods during deer season with more than 5 rounds in it.

Not if you're hunting or on public hunting areas. Already answered, but you still don't get it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#16]

editted to add:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top