Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2005 8:00:23 AM EDT
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=262150

I figure since I've never built myself an EBR and I'm probably gonna need help, I'll ask here.  Cajunboy n M4Geek, ya'll are local and both have probably forgotten more than I'll ever know about AR's.  hint hint.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#1]
You can use a 1 in 7 with 55gr. bullets with reasonable accuracy - the NG combat rifle team uses it.  And you can shoot the heavy stuff with it.
but with that being said - a 1x9 will be more accurate with a 55gr bullet, but it awful slow for a longer bullet.
All my Ar's - except for my match gun which is a 1x8 and the 1000 yd gun I'm building which is a 1x6.5 twist w/ 90gr - are 1 in 7 twist.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I would go 1 in 7 if you can. It will allow you to shoot a wider array of bullets. My 2 carbines are 1 in 9 and shoot 55gr and 62gr fine. My varmit is 1 in 8 and it favors the 75gr Black Hills. If you are going for a carbine, you can't go wrong with either. You wont be shooting it past 300 yards for accuracy. Let me know if you have any more questions or if you need any help.

As far as barrel length, the shorter the barrel, the less time the bullet has to stabalize.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd like a 10.5 barrel but I figure it'll be 14.5 or 16 so I don't have to mess with the paperwork.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:24:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd go 1x7

You can plink with any WWB or wolf if u so desire then use 69gr or better for long range, home defense, zombies, whatever.

I would also stick with 16" or 14.5 with a perm attached FH. No point in getting a short one with the big flash hider except to shorten your frag range and velocity.

I'm also available for help, on my 3rd build (from ground up) and I've done more repairs then i like to remember.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Dusty, I would be happy to share any knowledge I might have with you on your AR build.

As of now  I am shooting a stock colt M4 16in upper. But I am planning on getting my lower SBR'd this spring and then I am going to take it down to a 10.5in barrel.  And then hopefully add a ML2 aimpoint setup.

But for now I have the stock 16 incher and love it.

As far as my opinion on the barrel, I am partial to the 1/7 twist rate.

m4geek
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Great. Now you guys have me thinking about building another. I sure would like a pistol cal. upper though.

There is a dealer on the ee selling RRA uppers and lowers:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=257039

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't decided if i want to build another pistol cal upper or just break down and get one of the hk94 clones.....SBR'd would be the cat's meow
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:43:10 AM EDT
[#8]
If you are looking for parts locally, check with Scotty Blankenship, Arkansas Outdoor Supply, 479-549-2355.  I picked up a Rock River lower and a LMT upper from him yesterday.  He is located in Siloam Springs.  Good guy, very knowledgable .  Not affiliated, just pleased with what I got and with Scotty.  

Morgan
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok yawl I keep hearing that a super fast rate like a 1:7 will make lighter rounds spin apart in flight.  Is it true or another glock kaboom legend to back up personal preference?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I've never had any dealings with anything lighter than 55gr bullets, and those will not come apart unless you handload and jack the pressure way (!) up.  According to Army tra-doc, the 1 in 7 twist was picked to stabilize the M856 tracer rounds (since the M856 is a bit longer than the M196). BUT they then got the M196 tracer cartridge (55-grain bullet) , but it is just used for training purposes. It has a red tip and designed to trace out to 500 yards.
The M856 tracer cartridge (63.7-grain bullet) is used in the M16A2/3/4, M4-series, M249 weapons (among other 5.56-mm NATO weapons). The M856 is designed to trace out to 875 yards.  It is not to be used in the M16A1 except under emergency conditions, and at ranges of less than 90 meters due to the fact that the M16A1's rifling twist isn't sufficient to stabilize the projectile  (1 in 12 twist).
1 in 9 twist is an awesome choice for 55gr, and if you're never gonna shoot anything heavier (ie, longer), thats the one to get. But for versatility, a 1 in 7 will more than suffice.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If you are looking for parts locally, check with Scotty Blankenship, Arkansas Outdoor Supply, 479-549-2355.  I picked up a Rock River lower and a LMT upper from him yesterday.  He is located in Siloam Springs.  Good guy, very knowledgable .  Not affiliated, just pleased with what I got and with Scotty.  

Morgan

+1 for Scotty. While I am not affiliated with him, He is one of my best friends and a genuinely good guy. Scotty sells good quality AR parts on the cheap. He also builds and sells ARs cheaper than anyone else I know, not  just locally, but anywhere. He always has lots of rifles for sell on www.gunsamerica.com under Arkansas Outdoor Supply. Once again, I am not affiliated with him, but I would not hesitate for a second to give Scotty any of my business.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I've seen the name,  There is a competition coming up in Tontitown affiliated with ozark outdoor supply somehow,  I may head up there and try to meet him, and any of ya'll if ya go.  Thanks ya'll Little Rock isn't blessed with good, and cheap gun stores.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've seen the name,  There is a competition coming up in Tontitown affiliated with ozark outdoor supply somehow,  I may head up there and try to meet him, and any of ya'll if ya go.  Thanks ya'll Little Rock isn't blessed with good, and cheap gun stores.

Dusty, I think you have Scotty's business mixed up with Ozark Sportsman in Springdale. They have lots of shooting events at their indoor range there. Scotty is in Siloam Springs, 20 miles west of Springdale. He operates a smaller, but rapidly growing, business out of his home. He really is top notch when it comes to AR's. I haven't seen anyone beat his prices on complete RRA rifles.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#14]
my bad
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top