Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 7:20:32 AM EDT
Does anyone here know what the best way (cheapest too) of going about looking for a place to live in NY. People have mentioned craigs list to help find an apartment/studio but I was wondering if there was anything else. I've been helping my boyfriend, Tso, look for a place and any info that might help us would be greatly appreciated.  

Any resources that you can think of that would help? Thanks!

- Natalie
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:58:11 AM EDT
[#1]
good luck.  That's the #1 nightmare of living in NY.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:56:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Craig's list for New Jersey listings is about the best thing going - not only is Jersey City a bit cheaper and as close to the center of thigns as most manhattan neighborhoods, but NJ gun laws are better than NYC, and the JCPD is quite good.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#3]
There are some decent neighborhoods in queens. Cheap? no.  But cheaper than manhattan
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Only people who don't live in Manhattan (i.e., the "B&T Crowd") suggest living in the suburbs.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Craigslist is decent, but you have to act immediately on anything you find there, because the turnover is super fast.  My company posted a listing for an intern job and we got 200 resumes in a couple of hours.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Only people who don't live in Manhattan (i.e., the "B&T Crowd") suggest living in the suburbs.  

Yep, that'd be me. I have better quality of life, more square footage, and can keep a bushmaster AR-type rifle in my house. Beats Manhattan, although I lived there for years.

Any I'm closer to Wall Street than someone living on the upper west side. 11 minutes by PATH train to WTC.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Ugh, it is a pain in the ass.  Our best option is some tiny studio super close to where I work, but it has no view and no A/C.  Chick thinks its a great deal, but I'll tell you what:  it makes me realize how spoiled I was with my school's housing before this.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#8]
No AC = guaranteed misery.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
No AC = guaranteed misery.

Well, I should say this:  the eletricity is $75/month flat rate, and if you want A/C you need to pay a one-time fee of $370 to use A/C (not to rent equipment, just for the extra power).  Hot water, heat are covered.  How's that sound to you?

ETA: The windows face an inner courtyard (hence the absense of a view), and it doesn't get a ton of sun.  Pretty good ventilation it seems, FWIW.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Come out to Astoria you can get a 1 badroom for around $1300 if you look around
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:39:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah we've been checking out some options. Craigslist seems shady sometimes and our school has a directory on there where we've seen places, actually where the one Tso was talking about came from. It's ridiculous to live in manhattan but we're trying to find the best deal for something around here. The commute and all is a hassle, its been a pain, but hopefully we'll be able to find something convenient and manageable.  Thanks for the comments
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Get a place on Long Island so he can keep an AR !!! Get used to the commute !! Its not too bad
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Get a place on Long Island so he can keep an AR !!! Get used to the commute !! Its not too bad

Tso-s_Chick is from LI, and we got there regularly.  My AR isn't NY state-legal.  

I want to be close the action--not to mention class and work.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:39:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I was born in NYC and lived there for over 30 years. All my years there, the only people that used the term "B&T crowd" were usually from places like Utah or Kansas.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:29:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was born in NYC and lived there for over 30 years. All my years there, the only people that used the term "B&T crowd" were usually from places like Utah or Kansas.

Sorry to disappoint, born and bred on the island of Manhattan.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top