Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2016 11:36:47 AM EST
I recently Purchased an M1 garand from the pawn shop. I want to possibly have a new barrel installed. I have called accu-arms and Brainard gunsmithing. Didnt recieve very positive answers. Anybody have any recommendations that arent Too far from missoula? I understand this may not be a popular thing around here. But damn, From what I read online it should'nt be very hard for a competent gunsmith to handle?

If I cannot get this done in Western Montana, which would be a shame. I guess I will figure out how to have the CMP do it. Was gonna buy from the CMP and probably will in the future. But this is a 1941 receiver rifle and I wanted it. I will Keep looking myself, But I really figured this could be handled in Montana?

Please help...Thanks!

Charlie.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 11:55:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/19/2016 11:55:37 AM EST by thecreeper23]
This may not be what you're hoping to hear, but I am unaware of anyone in Montana who does regular work on Garands. I would plan on sending it out of state to a pro if you want it done right.

Orion 7, Jon Wolfe or Fulton Armory would be good shops to investigate.

EDIT: The CMP is offering shop services now too, as you know from your post. I should have included them in the above list.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:25:48 PM EST
Im sure the guy at accu-arms will do it. But, It will be one of those deals where I have to show up with the rifle, the new barrel of excellent quality and pin him down on time/price. I reload and am a competent master mechanic for a living. I have read write ups where guys replace the barrel themselves with the correct tools.

So, I suppose if it comes down to it I will do it myself. Already spent 32k$ on my tools to make a living, whats a couple hundred more for a few barrel swap tools...

Anybody else can chime in with advice tho. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:27:51 PM EST
I don't know how far you're willing to go, or how much he does with Garands, but Dennis Olson in Plains is a stellar gunsmith - I would give him a call 826-3790.

I know there is a good gunsmith down in the Bitterroot, but his name escapes me - I'll edit this later if my brain starts working better...
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:42:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/19/2016 1:33:46 PM EST by DaveP1]
Here is a list of shops around Kalispell, there used to be a guy out off Hwy 2 east that did barrels, he did one for me several years ago and he was good, can't remember his name, but you need to make a few calls to see who is doing what now a days.

http://mt.allpages.com/kalispell/shopping-shopping-services/product-repair-services/gun-repair-services/gunsmith-services/
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:43:08 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KnightSchneider:
I don't know how far you're willing to go, or how much he does with Garands, but Dennis Olson in Plains is a stellar gunsmith - I would give him a call 826-3790.

I know there is a good gunsmith down in the Bitterroot, but his name escapes me - I'll edit this later if my brain starts working better...
View Quote

Thanks! Just for everbodys info, the gunsmith at Bass's guns gave me the most positive response so far. But im still open to any recommendations. If anybody knows anything good or bad about Bass's chime in...
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:46:44 PM EST
http://www.fulton-armory.com/barrelfagicontour308chromeboreandchamber-1.aspx

This is the barrel I plan to purchase, can be headspaced to my bolt. And it appears to be GI spec and top notch.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 8:09:14 PM EST
Deans Gun Restorations is excellent if you can't find an in State smith.

http://dgrguns.com/0-main-page-barrels.htm
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 10:37:43 PM EST
Originally Posted By elcope:

View Quote

Dean was great and worked on my m1 carbine. But he recently died and the work is now being done by "Amanda," who may well be awesome, but I haven't yet seen any reviews.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 10:46:28 PM EST
Originally Posted By thecreeper23:

Dean was great and worked on my m1 carbine. But he recently died and the work is now being done by "Amanda," who may well be awesome, but I haven't yet seen any reviews.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thecreeper23:
Originally Posted By elcope:

I haven't done any metalwork for any Garands since Dean passed, but the stock I recently got was superb.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 1:02:31 AM EST
I have no idea, but maybe call and pick the brains of the gunsmiths at Capital Sports in Helena. It's worth a try, and they have some excellent smiths, at the very minimum Al Charvat should be able to point you in the right direction, he's been at it a LONG time. Arnold Erhardt retired but Al is still there. Tyler Hansen is a newer GS but knows his shit, not sure what the other newer gunsmith's name is.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 3:03:33 AM EST

View Quote

Dennis rebarreled an M1 for my uncle several years ago. Matter of fact, I think he had it reparkerized by Dennis too. It looks and shoots great.

I haven't had any work done by him, but I've heard a lot of good about Dan Coffin, in Victor. No idea if he works on Garands, but it's worth a try.

OP, if you don't mind me asking, what's the serial number range of your M1? The 1941 date has me curious. If it's my old one, well, everything is for sale for the right price....

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:03:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/22/2016 10:03:37 AM EST by Rubicon06MT]
6 digit number puts it manufactured march-april 1941. Dont have the actual number with me im at work.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:16:04 AM EST
Does Anybody have any experience with Accu-Arms? He said he would do it, But his rough over the phone quote was 125-250$? I may call Dennis also...
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 3:32:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/22/2016 4:56:06 PM EST by Rubicon06MT]
Originally Posted By 35Whelen700:

Dennis rebarreled an M1 for my uncle several years ago. Matter of fact, I think he had it reparkerized by Dennis too. It looks and shoots great.

I haven't had any work done by him, but I've heard a lot of good about Dan Coffin, in Victor. No idea if he works on Garands, but it's worth a try.

OP, if you don't mind me asking, what's the serial number range of your M1? The 1941 date has me curious. If it's my old one, well, everything is for sale for the right price....

View All Quotes

Dennis said he will replace my supplied barrel for 50$. Going to go that route. Thank you both for the recommendation, just ordered my barrel. My fingers are crossed it all goes good. Planning to shoot an elk at 1000yds iron sights this fall! Just dump all 8 rounds til I hear the "ping!" And see if i hit it... JK
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:08:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/22/2016 7:09:23 PM EST by 35Whelen700]
Originally Posted By Rubicon06MT:

Dennis said he will replace my supplied barrel for 50$. Going to go that route. Thank you both for the recommendation, just ordered my barrel. My fingers are crossed it all goes good. Planning to shoot an elk at 1000yds iron sights this fall! Just dump all 8 rounds til I hear the "ping!" And see if i hit it... JK
View All Quotes

$50 is a great price. I'll give Dennis credit anytime I can. He installed the muzzle brake on my .375, as well as polishing and rebluing the rest of the rifle, and the quality of his work is second to none.

As far as the serial number of your M1 goes, it's a little over a year older than mine was, so I know now that it isn't my old one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:54:08 AM EST
That's awesome!

He's done some work on a 700 of mine, and a CZ 455, and his work has been top notch - I would be very surprised if you're not extremely satisfied with his work.

Let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:35:39 PM EST
Does Anybody have any experience with Accu-Arms? He said he would do it, But his rough over the phone quote was 125-250$? I may call Dennis also...
View Quote

I've used him in the past for a few things, but nothing major. Did good work. Odd duck though. Nothing bad, just a different sort of guy,
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:52:35 AM EST
Originally Posted By 41magsnub:

I've used him in the past for a few things, but nothing major. Did good work. Odd duck though. Nothing bad, just a different sort of guy,
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 41magsnub:

Yeah, I really was not impressed with his attitude on the phone. I have asked this same M1 garand barrel question in the M1/M1a section of this site and was told it was something that can be done by yourself with the right tools. But he acted like I asked him To do something extremely difficult. And his price quote was crazy IMO. Dennis Olsen answered YES right off the bat.
Top Top