Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/15/2005 4:05:03 PM EDT
I have come into a 86 isuzu pickup. Runs good, but no title. All my experience in this area is "no title, no sale". But some folks say I can sell it anyway and get tags for it.

I went to the tag office, and she said "no problem if it is an 85, but no can do if an 86"

WTF, over.

Anyone know the workings on this kind of situation?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:47:50 PM EDT
Depending on age, a vehicle can be bought/sold with strictly a bill of sale. If there is no title, and the vehicle isn't old enough, you'll probably have to apply for a replacement title, wait for it to come in, and then complete the sale with the title.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:40:18 PM EDT
Does it curretly have a Georgia tag?

If you have to go though a vehicle abondonment paper work it is a major pain in the arse.

Trust me on this.

I've been trying to get a abandoned title for a 91 Isuzu pickup from Ohio. I was rejected on my first try. All in all it cost me about 70 bucks to be told "NO" try this and start from square one.


So if you do have any questions do call the tag office or call the main number.

Have fun.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:51:13 AM EDT
I sold my '88 Ford Ranger a couple years back w/ no title. Later found the title oooops.

The guy I sold it to spoke Spanish. He didn't need no stinkin' title.

Definitely make sure YOU get a copy of the bill of sale. It will cover your back end if the buyer decides to play bumper cars w/ someone else.

p.s. If you really want to find out the straight poop on the title, call the tag office and speak to someone else. My experience is many of them are clueless gov't automatons. You'll probably get a different answer.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:00:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:25:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By the_reject:
Alright, enough of the guessing, here's the straight dope:

What Vehicles Need a Title?
Replacement Title - How to Obtain?
Just in case you need more info than this...

Thanks, Mr. Wet Blanket... Take all our fun away.

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:16:36 AM EDT
Thanks for the links.

But, this truck is not covered by any of those situations.

The truck was converted to cash by the original owner so he could pay his lawyer. The original owner is now a "guest" of the state of Ga. for the next 5 to 10 years.

Stuff like this happens in real life, and there never seems to be a "real life" check box on official forms.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:40:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ar-wrench:
The truck was converted to cash by the original owner so he could pay his lawyer. The original owner is now a "guest" of the state of Ga. for the next 5 to 10 years.

Then the lawyer is the owner and could apply for the title. There should be paperwork showing how the truck is his property and was sold in lieu of payment for services rendered to the guy currently vacationing in the Government Country Club.

Take a look here, and also here and here.

Basically, you need a title. Once you have a title, however you obtain it, you can register the vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:28:05 AM EDT
Basically looks like more hassle than it is worth. Time for some tannerite.

And people wonder why so many of us are against gun registration.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:39:15 AM EDT
It's a bad enough hassle when the title has the incorrect VIN on it. Takes 3 calls to the DMV to get three different answers, 1 visit to be told nothing can be done, another to get the title with the incorrect VIN on it, a third to fill out the paperwork to get a corrected title, and a fourth to turn in the incorrect title and the paperwork to get the corrected title.

Fucking nightmarish.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:00:25 PM EDT
Or five

Proceed with a vehicle abondonment. It the vehicle is a Georgia(which it looks as if it is) the process is easier.

Here look at thiswww.dmvs.ga.gov/motor/titles/needed/abandoned.asp

So when you get done, you can have a ticker tape party wiht all of the red tape from the process.


Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:09:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2005 8:15:54 AM EDT by Stasher1]
There are also title services like www.broadwaytitle.com/ or www.its-titles.com/ that will convert a bill of sale to a title...for a fee.

I used Broadway to title my motorcycle a few years ago. Basically you "sell" the vehicle to them by filling out their application/BOS (bill of sale). They take that BOS and register the vehicle in a state where it would be title exempt, like Maine for example. They then "sell" it back to you. You get a BOS, a current vehicle registration from another state, and a copy of that state's MV law stating that the vehicle in question is title exempt. You take that paperwork to the DMV and apply for a title. Simple and completely legal.


I went to the tag office, and she said "no problem if it is an 85, but no can do if an 86"

Are you positive it's an 86? If it's an 86 model, it was probably built in 85...which in some states would make it an 85 model.
Top Top