Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2002 2:17:02 PM EDT
My wife is from Lancaster, Ohio, and wants us to move to Pickerington when I retire from the military in the summer of '04.

I've looked at the BATF's codes and they don't look good.  This NRA link gave me a good summary:

www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&R=OH

On that page is this:  "We are aware of "assault weapon" ordinances being enacted in Columbus, Dayton, Cleveland and Cincinnati ...."

I'm thinking that these ordinances apply to living in those city limits only (I HOPE!).

Can you guys tell me if I can have my AR's and 20-30 round magazines in Pickerington?  And if not, where in Ohio can I have them?

Thanks! .... Chris
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Those particular laws are city ordinances and apply only withing the corporation limits of those cities.  When in doubt it is best to check with the city law director prior to buying.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Those particular laws are city ordinances and apply only withing the corporation limits of those cities.  When in doubt it is best to check with the city law director prior to buying.

shotar - Thanks for the info, which is the good news that I was hoping to hear.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Almost forgot and just as a side note Ohio does limit mag capacity to 30 rounds.  Anything more than that in a semi auto and it is considered a machine gun and must be NFA registered as such so Drums are not allowed.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Almost forgot and just as a side note Ohio does limit mag capacity to 30 rounds.  Anything more than that in a semi auto and it is considered a machine gun and must be NFA registered as such so Drums are not allowed.

IIRC, That's just if you mate the magazine and the rifle together. Otherwise >30 round magazines are legal to own, you just can't use them with a rifle.

Please clarify if I'm not up to date.

Anyone have the law as it is written?
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Shotar's right about the city ordinance thing.  Ohio law relies on the cities to regulate the assault weapons type issues, but they do have their loose parameters from the FEDS.  Good luck trying to get your city lawmakers to explain what's legal and what's not legal.  Before I bought my AR, I wanted to know what the city ordinances were in Columbus affecting AR's and mag capacity and the like.  I called CPD, Franklin County Sheriffs' Dept., the city Prosecutors' office, and the District Attorneys' office.  Everybody told me to call someone else, b/c they weren't clear on the laws!!! (WTF am I paying my taxes for then?)  The lady in the District Attorneys' office, who stated that she was the one who dealt w/ these laws told me she didn't know, and to ask at my local gunstore!!!  She also told me I could hire an attorney to look into the matter for me!  (WTF is she?).  

Long story short, nobody in Columbus can explain the city ordinances.  Gun store said I can have 30rd mags, so I guess I must be ok...hehehe.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:07:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I've asked this in another thread, but have not received a reply.  I can find no reference to any type of magazine size restrictions in the ORC.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:48:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:08:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've asked this in another thread, but have not received a reply.  I can find no reference to any type of magazine size restrictions in the ORC.

O.R.C. section 2923.11(E) Definitions. It defines "Automatic Firearms" as the term applies to the O.R.C. It essentially limits the total capacity (magazine and chamber combined) to 31 rounds excepting .22cal firearms.

You can get the O.R.C. on line at onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Toledo Cincinnati and Cleveland also have some stupid ordnances if I am not mistaken.  Pickerington is OK.  Note, however, that most large cities and their surrounding counties do not have anyone who will sign for NFA transfers, leaving corporation as only route.  You CAN bring whatever you already own from another jurisdiction though.

No CCW in Ohio due to a communist governor!

Cincinnati has a complete prohibition on all semiautomatic firearms. They CAN be registered with Chief Tom Streicher for a fee of $25 (I believe), but there's no guarantee he will grant the right to possess for paying the $$. Revolvers, muzzle loaders, bolts, and shottys are it.

Also, No hi-caps at all.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all of your replies!  

Chris
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top