Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/29/2012 4:38:31 PM EDT
Power out since 5:05.  running on generator.  Its going to be a miserable night

176k homes without power in Cincinnati area right now.  

http://www.duke-energy.com/ohio/outages/current.asp
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#1]
.......running on generator. Its going to be a miserable night

Does not compute. Sounds like you will be comfortable? Good planning on your part. Good job.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep. No power up here in east central Ohio either. No generator. Brakes went out on my truck while pulling limbs out of the road. I decided to stick it in a ditch and start drinking. I can deal with it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#3]
No power in Athens either. Posting from my phone.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Knocked the snot out of Westerville.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 5:24:34 AM EDT
[#5]
We have power but no cable (internet and phone too!). brother doesn't have power and he's running his generator as well.

And yes generator = miserable, as most can't handle the A/C unit

I'd rather not have the cable then not have the A/C right now!
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 5:57:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Franklin, Pickaway & Fairfield were hit pretty hard.

Here in Circleville we had a tree that came down on a SUV trapping the occupants for a while.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 6:04:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Our home in Westerville was out of power from about 5pm Friday to about 5am Saturday.  The wife wanted to have some fun so all in all it was a good night.  Heh.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 7:47:04 AM EDT
[#8]
We've been out since 10 minutes before the storm hit.     No idea how long it will be.

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 8:00:01 AM EDT
[#9]
What are you running off your generator? How do you have these connected to your house ?
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a transfer switch that hooks up power to the fridge, well pump, sump pump, family room, and furnace (obviously not needed right now).     I've got a cord run to the other freezer, water heater, and softener.

Generator is 8K/12K.

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 8:14:14 AM EDT
[#11]
We were driving on 33 when it rolled through Bellefontaine.  My wife thought we were going to die.  Sky went BLACK, hail the size of ice cubes raining down, and wind so heavy it blew my Outback into the grass median.  Got to Delphos to find that trees were down EVERYWHERE!  Glad everyone is OK, learned a lot from this storm. Some are saying its 5-6 days before power is restored all over the state.  Anyone seeing any strange activity because of it??? i.e- people freaking out at the fuel stations and grocery stores.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 8:21:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I haven't been out yet, but I'll need to hit a gas station if it's going to be out longer than another day or so.

I'm good about keeping my gas cans full through the winter but I only had two of them full today.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#13]
We lost about half our shingles, but we had it tarped in about an hour. Power was back here at ~9:30. Ran the geny until the power was back. Just dropped off a 500 watt geny and solid state fridge so one of the neighbors parents could keep insulin cool. I might regret that one, after seeing the neighborhood over there, the odds of that geny coming back are slim. On the bright side I might be able to sell my spare diesel genset now that half the state is out.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#14]
A lot of the Centerville area went out this a.m. Mine went out at 06:30 and just came back on at 16:30. Had the genny running for awhile to power the fridge and chest freezer.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 1:15:26 PM EDT
[#15]
We lost power at work about 4:30 at work, then back on close to 5...   The wind and crap east of Dayton Mall on 725 was cool, stuff fly across lot, barrel in shop slid from door into middle of shop.. everybody in dark standing around.   some of us manage to get our cars into shop, I had WHIO playing on radio loud.

Here in Troy, we have tress down, lots of branches, went to dup to get rid of my pine tree trimmings, everybody coming to dump their broken branches/tree debris.

AJ, I gots a 20 gallon nylon drum you can have for fuel if you want it.. cant get rid of it on craiglist.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We lost power at work about 4:30 at work, then back on close to 5...   The wind and crap east of Dayton Mall on 725 was cool, stuff fly across lot, barrel in shop slid from door into middle of shop.. everybody in dark standing around.   some of us manage to get our cars into shop, I had WHIO playing on radio loud.

Here in Troy, we have tress down, lots of branches, went to dup to get rid of my pine tree trimmings, everybody coming to dump their broken branches/tree debris.

AJ, I gots a 20 gallon nylon drum you can have for fuel if you want it.. cant get rid of it on craiglist.

A 20 gal drum would be the ticket at AJ's.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Got power since 11 on State street. Running on generator last night. Gas line on Sunoco is 1 mile long.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A 20 gal drum would be the ticket at AJ's.

That is relevant to my interests.     I've got four five gallon jugs that I rotate through right now.

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Our SO had 75 calls holding at one point they could not answer. Our Sheriff declared an emergency and ordered in anyone who could make it in. There are still many people in Clark and Champaign counties without electric with a estimate of tuesday til it's back on.

A very large tree fell on my sister's house completely compromising the roof and crushed four trusses. Spent the morning running chainsaw and clearing wood off the roof/ground. Tree had a diameter of larger than my arms wrapping around it. We lost power from 1700-0430.

Wife complained when i bought a battery backup garage door opener, she complained not yesterday.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Wife complained when i bought a battery backup garage door opener, she complained not yesterday.

Funny how that works, isn't it....    we've had two ice storms and now this, and each time I'm reminded "hey, that was a good idea".  

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 10:23:49 PM EDT
[#21]
kind of an eye opener for those that say prepping in any capacity is silly because of "zombie and russian invasion fantasies".
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 10:24:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Looking at the News, I think my community got off light.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 3:58:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Our power was out for 5 hours which is great compared to a lot of people around us.

The crazy thing was my parents across the street had roofers who were hurrying to cover the bare roof who jumped off the second the wind started from the second story roof to the garage roof and then to the ground.  It came so fast there was no way for them to go down the ladder.

While the guys were jumping down a huge ash tree split in half and fell into at least 4 other trees on the side of the yard(they have an acre so it wasn't close to anything).  Yesterday me and my dads chainsaw were very busy and I'm still not done.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 4:19:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Knocked the snot out of Westerville.

+1. I am still without power.  At McDonalds charging the phone and using Wifi.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 5:15:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Using cell phone internet and took my laptop to Barnes & Noble for access. Looking for a small generator today.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 5:49:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 10:48:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The EMA is saying 7-10 days until power is restored in Licking Co.
I have a genny so we are keeping the food cold, showers and cooking is being done at the fire station. It's now turning into how to do laundry (in 95*F weather you tend to go through a lot of clean clothes) and worrying about the long term stuff.
The surrounding towns have power and gas so fuel is not an issue.
If it wasn't so fucking hot this wouldn't be so bad. Lots of farmers are struggling to keep their livestock watered, everyone in this community is on well water and uses lifting pumps for their sewage. We are scrambling to get assistance to the elderly and genny's to oxygen assisted folks.
It's a cluster fuck.

damn that sucks, we got power back here in New Albany yesterday at 4:30p, almost 24 hours - the fucking Sunoco gas station off 161 next to Liberty Jeep on edge of Licking/Franklin was price gouging.
Still tons of people lining up for gas and their gas cans when i was there filling up for my generator and SUV at 12pm.
stay safe.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#29]
And my power is out again.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
And my power is out again.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I feel your hate. But I'm also back in the game now.

Out of town at Mid-Ohio since Thursday. Storm blows through and chews lots of ass. Our hotel was good-to-go so yipee on that.
Get a call that my house is powerless. Tell my sister that's feeding my cat to put a bag of ice in the fridge and I'll deal with it when
I get back on Sunday.
On the way home today I'm informed that the while she was here the power came on and stayed on, hell yeah! Four days outside in this
shit and I was ready for AC and now I had it back!

Stop at the store for some replacements in the fridge and here comes round two. Fuck! I knew what was goin to happen and sure as shit
no power when I got home. Oh well, back to plan "B".

Get situated, showered and had just put a chair on the porch to enjoy the cooler air, a beer and some radio when the power comes back, again.

SWEET!

Good luck folks!  Heard on the radio we have many an out of state AEP truck in-bound.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#32]
The 1st place Athens got power was on East State street on Saturday morning. Krogers got their power @ 8 a.m. There was a line waiting out the door and it was a 1 hour wait. What was so important?........The line was getting coffee from the Starbucks counter. What a bunch of idiots.

Anyway, stil no electric in my house yet and AEP is saying July 6 or 7. The traffic light 50 meters away got power.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#33]
  Somehow that doesn't surprise me from a college town.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#34]
We have our first technical casualty of the storm.

Looks like I'll be seeing Coshocton myself tomorrow morning. One of our machines there threw a drive this afternoon.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Had to retarp the roof and run the geny for a while yesterday, but power is back now. Roofer dropped off a dumpster today, material list tomorrow, and new roof Thursday or Friday. Been getting calls from Kentucky and West Virginia on the generators, but no one that wants to make the drive. Did have someone offer $2k in sign making for one of them. Can't blame him for trying.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Our power is still out.     No estimates in when it will be back.

I'm helping out all the neighbor ladies with my generator.

ETA  Within seconds of this post it kicked back on...  

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
The EMA is saying 7-10 days until power is restored in Licking Co.

I have a genny so we are keeping the food cold, showers and cooking is being done at the fire station. It's now turning into how to do laundry (in 95*F weather you tend to go through a lot of clean clothes) and worrying about the long term stuff.

The surrounding towns have power and gas so fuel is not an issue.

If it wasn't so fucking hot this wouldn't be so bad. Lots of farmers are struggling to keep their livestock watered, everyone in this community is on well water and uses lifting pumps for their sewage. We are scrambling to get assistance to the elderly and genny's to oxygen assisted folks.

It's a cluster fuck.

damn that sucks, we got power back here in New Albany yesterday at 4:30p, almost 24 hours - the fucking Sunoco gas station off 161 next to Liberty Jeep on edge of Licking/Franklin was price gouging.

Still tons of people lining up for gas and their gas cans when i was there filling up for my generator and SUV at 12pm.

stay safe.

Kinda like the property tax dept. of New Albany is running the gas station.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Lost mine about the time it got going good and hard, was getting ready to post and house went black.. daughter had to finish her shower with candle in jar.  Left for work this morning, still no power.

Appears we got power sometime late this morning,  home now with power.

Dad up in middle Putnam Co been witout for 2 days (Fri-Sat), sis calls me lunch time Sun and says mom & dad showed up at her place in N Canton,, they drove 3hr over, rather than the 1.5hr down here.. so now I gets to go up and help cut tree debris.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#39]

sis calls me lunch time Sun and says mom & dad showed up at her place in N Canton,, they drove 3hr over, rather than the 1.5hr down here.. so now I gets to go up and help cut tree debris.

Well maybe she was the favorite back in the day.

Or just closer to the NEW Fin Fur and Feather stores. LOL

Also, be careful on the saw when cutting up tree crap. We don't want to here about a saw injury.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I also got word that a shit load of out of state linemen are filtering in.

Haven't seen a single truck in our area.

An AEP-SWEPCO lineman from the Texas panhandle here, we had 2 guys from our little service area head up there Sat.  I'm not sure how many of SWEPCO guys from east Texas, La, AR area went but i have heard over 100 AEP Texas guys are up there working.  Good luck and hang in there, im hoping to get to head up in about 2 weeks to help out too.  I don't have any site specific restoration times for you but if you have any questions i can answer i will try my hardest.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:58:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Mine came back on Sunday at 5:04.  Went to the store Monday to restock all the frozen stuff that we threw out.  Power went out again at 4:32 Monday, and is still out

Guess we are going to have to throw all the new stuff out again

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:04:31 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine came back on Sunday at 5:04.  Went to the store Monday to restock all the frozen stuff that we threw out.  Power went out again at 4:32 Monday, and is still out

that sucks - aren't you in Westerville or the outskirts?

Get an inverter generator, it's worth it's weight in gold to power your fridge and basic lights, plus charge your electronics

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:38:36 AM EDT
[#43]
The mother in law on the west side of town still out, so no water either. She refuses to come to our house, we never lost anything. So we have been taking ice and water and emptied her freezer and ice box to ours. Sat and Sun the fuel stations all backed up. 2 were out of fuel. Made a person feel good knowing that your sitting on a good supply of everything.
Quoted:
We were driving on 33 when it rolled through Bellefontaine.  My wife thought we were going to die.  Sky went BLACK, hail the size of ice cubes raining down, and wind so heavy it blew my Outback into the grass median.  Got to Delphos to find that trees were down EVERYWHERE!  Glad everyone is OK, learned a lot from this storm. Some are saying its 5-6 days before power is restored all over the state.  Anyone seeing any strange activity because of it??? i.e- people freaking out at the fuel stations and grocery stores.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Going to work this morning, coming south on 75 between Miami Co line and Dayton,  I seen lots of ELLIOT trucks heading north on 75... DP&L trucks was parked in the BOB EVANS lot at Miller Lane (75 & 70)..   also seen a bunch of trucks with yellow cabs/doors heading north too, could not see name on them though.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 2:46:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

that sucks - aren't you in Westerville or the outskirts?

Get an inverter generator, it's worth it's weight in gold to power your fridge and basic lights, plus charge your electronics

Yep, I tell people I have got Westerville's 6.  Keeping back the hordes from Tamarack Circle.

Going to look into a system like that.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Where in Westerville are you?

I lucked out, power went out Friday around 4:30pm, came back on Saturday at 6am.

I just got my Yamaha EF2000IS inverter generator from Amazon yesterday. I just filled it up with oil today, haven't even used it.
The benefits of an inverter vs conventional generator is the clean power for use with computers and sensitive electronics. A conventional generator puts out dirty, raw power, which is fine for running things like the fridge, sump pump, and A/C or furnace. They're also quieter, but these benefits come at a price.

$989.10 for this Yamaha unit.

A 6,500 watt inverter unit is around $3,500. As compared to a conventional one for $500-$800 for comparable wattage.

I tried to check out N.Hamilton rd yesterday by the Meijer and Home Depot. It looked like a war zone. There had to of been 10+ trucks right there with those five + utility poles that blew over.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Ours just came back on.

A miserable few days.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got power since 11 on State street. Running on generator last night. Gas line on Sunoco is 1 mile long.

You stayed in town? I figured you off to NYC this week.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#50]

Westerville gets power from AEP but does it's own maintenance and repairs, including keeping trees away from any above ground power lines.  I get power via the city and it's been very reliable for 20 years.  People without power for multiple days must be getting power from AEP directly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top