Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/8/2005 11:29:38 AM EDT
I mentioned in another thread that I had my check for Owl Hollow on my desk and Bob Cole didn't seem too impressed. Looking through the range listings, there isn't anything within half an hour that has a 200+ yard rifle range, sooo...

Are there any ranges in the Nashville area that offer the following?

200+ yard rifle range
covered firing points
allow prone/sitting shooting

You can probably tell what my primary interest is, but to spell it out, the only gun game that I've found interesting for more than an afternoon is Highpower Rifle, specifically Service Rifle type.

The nearest place for matches is Tullahoma, I believe, with Chattanooga, Huntsville and Oak Ridge being good weekenders. Has nobody in Nashville tried to get Highpower going here? Remember that you can do reduced course matches (100 reduced or 200 reduced)

Tachyon
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 3:29:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/8/2005 3:32:52 PM EDT by rebel_rifle]
Yes, there used to be more highpower shooting closer to Nashville. Gallatin used to (years ago) conduct matches but has since gotten out of it. One reason, even with reduced courses, is that you need such a large safety fan beyond the initial firing line and impact area.

There are also matches in Cookeville (100 yard reduced) and Columbia (200 yard reduced). There are full distance courses in Tullahoma and Memphis as well. All of these are a little farther than 30 minutes.

You need to join the TNSSA which is the CMP and NRA state association. You can visit their web site at www.tnssa.org. They also have a Delphi web site. You need to join the Delphi forums to view, but it does NOT cost anything to join. Go here for the Delphi forums and make sure you use the pull down menu at the upper right hand corner to access more highpower forums.

forums.delphiforums.com/TnSSA/start
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 5:01:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tachyon:

I mentioned in another thread that I had my check for Owl Hollow on my desk and Bob Cole didn't seem too impressed.

Impressions had nothing to do with it, sir. I have been told by about 2 dozen former members that they had been covered by too many muzzles, seen too many drunk shooters or dangerous shooters to go back to Owl Hollow.

I was merely trying to not see you waste your $$$$, is all.

FWIW, Viola, TN offers 300 yard shooting although they don't do matches.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 5:22:03 PM EDT
I know Bobcole and trust me, he is not impressed. J/K Only trying to lighten it up a little.

As far as Owl Hollow, I have to back Bobcole up on this one. I went there for the better part of 6 years and was a paid member from the creepy house guy that gave you the badges.
I quit going due to the fact that too many ,for lack of better word, idiots were there most of the time. Also there was more than 6 occasions that I can remember that while shooting someone would come up behind shooters and steal their rifle/gun laying around.
I can remember many a time being down range and hearing a few shots pop off. Many a time I was covered with some assholes barrel because the fool didnt know what they were doing.
I hope that it has changed because it is fairly close to me and I would like to return someday.
Dont know. I beleive that there are several that go there from this board and I still hear a few stories though. Some good, some bad.
Good luck and be safe if you do go.
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 8:10:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/9/2005 8:11:33 PM EDT by Tachyon]
Okay, maybe I need to phrase it a little differently.

Since Owl Hollow isn't up to par, where is? The reference to Bob wasn't doubting his word. I tend to believe him. So, what are the alternatives?

There are several pistol ranges around town. I went to the dungeon once, a long time ago and won't go back; but that still leaves several good pistol ranges.

The description of Owl Hollow sounds like any TWRA range I've been to, and I agree that I don't want to shoot at that kind of range, especially if I have to pay for it. Doubly so if there are sneak thieves working the range.

Has anyone tried to start a membership range?

Tachyon
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 6:40:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/10/2005 6:42:39 AM EDT by rebel_rifle]

Has anyone tried to start a membership range?

Tachyon

Starting a range is a very expensive proposition, at least to do it right. First and foremost is the property acquisition. Property in the middle TN area, at least enough to have center fire rifles is going to be expensive, very expensive. Then you have construction costs, moving dirt, building impact areas, fencing, maintanance, etc., etc. Not to mention liability insurance and plenty of it. Long distance shooting ranges are almost, notice I said almost, a thing of the past at least starting one from the ground up. Unless someone is lucky enough to have lots of property, little to preferably no zoning and few if any neighbors, starting an outdoor range is next to impossible now with all the regs. and what all that is required. Also, throw in the EPA and lead containment and you have all the makings of a total headache.

Just as an example, there are less than a handful of 1000 yard ranges (privately owned) in the whole eastern US. Less than the fingers on one hand. FYI.
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 10:04:44 AM EDT

The reference to Bob wasn't doubting his word. I tend to believe him.

You would be the first then.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 5:29:25 PM EDT
come to the maury county gun club range,dues are 75 bucks a year, 200 yard range, three seperate pistol bays, seperate trap and skeet, clubhouse, range opfficers on duty(i'm one) highpower competition, idpa,safe to bring your kids to shoot,and you usually have a pistol range to yourself. all have covered benches.full auot is welcome, tho I begin to drool when they come out....i was at owl holow for a few years, too many range nazis at times, i got fed up with all the snobs and wierdos.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:12:11 PM EDT
That sounds great! It's not that far. It's not an after work distance, but weekends would be good. What's the population like on weekends? Enough 'free' weekends that you can practice before you enter a match? On the highpower matches, do you know the format? 100/200 reduced? 200 reduced? I know it's not LEG points, but practice is possible with all magazine length 68's or 77's. Heck, at 100 yards, it would be possible to practice positions with a .22lr upper.

It would also give me a chance to look around that area. I'm hoping to buy some land (10-15 acres) in 2-3 years if work holds up for me. Tree farming has been one of my goals for many years. I like riding mountain bikes, and places to do that are getting pretty scarce around here, too.

Regards,
Tachyon
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:17:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By alicecooper:
come to the maury county gun club range,dues are 75 bucks a year, 200 yard range, three seperate pistol bays, seperate trap and skeet, clubhouse, range opfficers on duty(i'm one) highpower competition, idpa,safe to bring your kids to shoot,and you usually have a pistol range to yourself. all have covered benches.full auot is welcome, tho I begin to drool when they come out....i was at owl holow for a few years, too many range nazis at times, i got fed up with all the snobs and wierdos.

Hmmmmm, do they have a website? I'm interested in getting into high power, in fact Bob and I talked about doing it together, go to a high power shoot that is. I'm interested in getting one of those garands through the CMP and woudl ofcourse need to be a member of some sanctioned club.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:09:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:36:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By coondog:
Hmmmmm, do they have a website? I'm interested in getting into high power, in fact Bob and I talked about doing it together, go to a high power shoot that is. I'm interested in getting one of those garands through the CMP and woudl ofcourse need to be a member of some sanctioned club.

www.maurycountygunclub.com/

Google is YOUR friend.

Their highpower matches are shot at 200 yards only and they have no pits. It is a walk and paste match. They go fairly quickly too. It is a real nice club.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:00:57 PM EDT

Owl Hollow is all about timing. Usually empty during the week, if you can make time to go.

Top Top