Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/15/2005 10:04:27 PM EDT
So where can I get Naptha in Fairbanks? I know Lowes and Home Depot don't carry that sort of thing. Anybody know?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:59:33 AM EDT
Sorry Mike I have no idea...I do however have 5 gallons of crappy gas that I will donate to the "project".

Correct me if im wrong but Naptha is used to thin oils or pints right? I wonder if a body shop would know where to get some? Or somewhere that deals with paint and associated stuff.

heh...sorry im not much help

-Derek
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:13:50 AM EDT
It's also used as a fuel type oil I think. I'm not really sure, I've never bought any before. Of course this is Fairbanks, ergo there may not be any available in our podunk town.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:16:23 AM EDT
Ace would probably have it. I know that I have seen it in Fairbanks before when I was buying other solvents, just trying to remember where.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:42:15 PM EDT
Naptha IS Coleman fuel. Coleman fuel does have a light rust preventative, but otherwise it's 100% Naptha.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:50:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2005 7:59:56 PM EDT by AK_Mike]
Pete, Coleman fuel is not just naptha. Coleman Fuel (Calumet Lantern Fuel ) contains about 50% naphtha, 50% aliphatic petroleum distillates, 2% xylene, 2% toluene, 0.5% benzene, green dye and rust inhibitors (to help prevent rusting of internal parts and facilitate long shelf life). I'm looking for 100% naptha, not 50%.

The confusion comes from the generic term Naptha which can cover a wide range of hydrocarbons used as solvents or feedstock for petroleum products. As such, Naptha can also be known as Coleman Fuel, MSR Fuel, White Gas [North America, Australia, and New Zealand], Shellite, Fuelite, Zippo fuel, Ronsonol fuel, heptane, Blazo, cigarette lighter fluid, some charcoal lighter fluid. So for another example, true White Gas is gasoline with no additives and is more volatile than true Naptha. I'm still trying to find pure Naptha. If I can get it, I'll have to go with a fuel with the highest concentration of Naptha.

I'll check out ACE Chris. If all else fails, I like to look in Samson's Hardware as they always seem to have the weird stuff I don't find elsewhere.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:57:36 PM EDT
I'm thinking 5 gallons of crappy gas will be PERFECT.
Official testing will begin next week after 5pm at the south cushman range.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:29:52 PM EDT
Not to rain on the parade, but are you sure that setting off the Napalm mixture will be legal?

I would hate to see someone get jacked up over it. If you do it at Cushman you can expect there will be a Trooper and probably a FPD response before the guns are cool.

Just my .02
Chris
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:20:10 AM EDT
There's a refinery in North Pole, isn't there? They must do SOMETHING with the naptha they distill off of crude oil Call 'em up and ask where it goes. Call chemical supply stores.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:26:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By uafgrad:
Not to rain on the parade, but are you sure that setting off the Napalm mixture will be legal?

I would hate to see someone get jacked up over it. If you do it at Cushman you can expect there will be a Trooper and probably a FPD response before the guns are cool.

Just my .02
Chris

Precisely why I recommend this all take place away from the range to avoid any complications, people, and lasting effects. I would only use the range for testing in very small amounts when few to no people are around. In small amounts the blast and fireball shouldn't be much more than the regular blasts as Tannerite and cannon fire is not uncommon to the Cushman range.

However for the final detonation, I can't recommend enough that it NOT take place at the range - I don't want it banned there.

As for Napalm, it's not like we are going to spread liquid fire all over the area, just make a really nice fireball that lasts a bit longer than using just gas - it just enhances the effect.

If I have anything to do with it, I will do my best to ensure safety first, and the avoidance of any personal or political fallout. It is not uncommon when having MG shoots or shoots that include large explosions for us to contact the PD/FPD ahead of time so that if they get calls/complaints - they will already know the nature of the cause so as not to spur undue action - it's a respectful thing to do.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:12:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AK_Mike:

Originally Posted By uafgrad:

Just my .02
Chris

Precisely why I recommend this all take place away from the range to avoid any complications, people, and lasting effects. I would only use the range for testing in very small amounts when few to no people are around. In small amounts the blast and fireball shouldn't be much more than the regular blasts as Tannerite and cannon fire is not uncommon to the Cushman range.

However for the final detonation, I can't recommend enough that it NOT take place at the range - I don't want it banned there.

As for Napalm, it's not like we are going to spread liquid fire all over the area, just make a really nice fireball that lasts a bit longer than using just gas - it just enhances the effect.

If I have anything to do with it, I will do my best to ensure safety first, and the avoidance of any personal or political fallout. It is not uncommon when having MG shoots or shoots that include large explosions for us to contact the PD/FPD ahead of time so that if they get calls/complaints - they will already know the nature of the cause so as not to spur undue action - it's a respectful thing to do.

I agree 100%. I just wanted people to keep a prespective on the whole thing. I am hoping I can come to take some pics, should be a blast
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:34:35 AM EDT
If you have any Luthers in town check there .

Can't spell it right . Guitar techs .
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:12:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2005 9:13:15 PM EDT by AK_Mike]
Chris, you were right on the money on the Naptha. I found it at Ace. They had pure Naptha. The wall of chemicals was pretty scary - Naptha, Toulene, Benzene, MEK, Xylene, etc - all the nasty stuff. The Naptha was basically sold as a paint thinner. $11.87 a gallon but I think it will be worth it. I should have looked for it in the paint section at Home Depot and Lowes - they probably have it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:16:22 PM EDT
If I master the super secert cross your eyes while doing the ultra super secert handshake, can I come and watch. Maybe even take a picture?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:44:07 PM EDT

Pete, Coleman fuel is not just naptha. Coleman Fuel (Calumet Lantern Fuel ) contains about 50% naphtha, 50% aliphatic petroleum distillates, 2% xylene, 2% toluene, 0.5% benzene, green dye and rust inhibitors (to help prevent rusting of internal parts and facilitate long shelf life). I'm looking for 100% naptha, not 50%.

The confusion comes from the generic term Naptha which can cover a wide range of hydrocarbons used as solvents or feedstock for petroleum products. As such, Naptha can also be known as Coleman Fuel, MSR Fuel, White Gas [North America, Australia, and New Zealand], Shellite, Fuelite, Zippo fuel, Ronsonol fuel, heptane, Blazo, cigarette lighter fluid, some charcoal lighter fluid. So for another example, true White Gas is gasoline with no additives and is more volatile than true Naptha. I'm still trying to find pure Naptha. If I can get it, I'll have to go with a fuel with the highest concentration of Naptha.

I'll check out ACE Chris. If all else fails, I like to look in Samson's Hardware as they always seem to have the weird stuff I don't find elsewhere.

I stand corrected. Does this mean it's dangerous to use Coleman Fuel in my zippo lighter instead of Ronsonol??? I don't smoke, just use it occassionally.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:04:58 AM EDT
I understand that I have so far contributed nothing to the fun, but is there any chance of doing it on a weekend? I work swings and work 4 to whenever...if not thats cool, i'll catch the videos.

If you need help in any way for setting it up let me know and i'll do the best I can.

-Derek
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:50:36 AM EDT
Not to worry. I think we want to schedule this so as many of us can witness the glory. Funwand is still down south at the moment.

Is this weekend a good time for all? My schedule is pretty much open of course, but I leave town in 11 days so there is that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:51:19 PM EDT
Can someone videotape it for me? I leave tonight and won't be back till the 29th.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:18:03 PM EDT
I can be there this weekend any time after 4 or 5 or so.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:02:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2005 6:03:31 PM EDT by raven]
This weekend works for me. My friend ought to be back from his rafting trip by now.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:53:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By raven:
This weekend works for me. My friend ought to be back from his rafting trip by now.

Ah, so that means you will be in Fairbanks???

Nice to see someone is willing to drive up here instead of me having to drive down there just for a day's shoot...

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:53:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Alaskagrown:
Can someone videotape it for me? I leave tonight and won't be back till the 29th.

No way this is going down without getting recorded by multiple devices...
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:22:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By raven:

Ah, so that means you will be in Fairbanks???

Nice to see someone is willing to drive up here instead of me having to drive down there just for a day's shoot...

Well, the plan was to get my friend to drive because he loves driving, has a new car, and is a gun nut so I'm hoping he's down. I'll call him tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:33:28 PM EDT
Anytime this weekend is good for me...just say the time and place.

-Derek

Not to worry. I think we want to schedule this so as many of us can witness the glory. Funwand is still down south at the moment.

Is this weekend a good time for all? My schedule is pretty much open of course, but I leave town in 11 days so there is that.

Top Top