Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 5:19:58 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I think its about time I add another firearm to my collection and I think I want it to be a handgun. I would like a handgun that I can safely keep loaded by my bed(right now I dont think the 1911 cuts it) and I would really like something with a decocker though if I hear of a good gun without the decocker, I will still consider it.  I think I would like something in either 9mm or 40. The guns that I have in mind so far are the xd9(no decocker) and p226 40. I would like a gun with the option to add a tactical light. Im not really sure exactly what I want so feel free to throw out anything pistols you personally like.

Thanks guys

ZC
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
<snip>
right now I dont think the 1911 cuts it
</snip>

You're misguided.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I'll just cut and paste my non-1911 choices on my to-get list

Sig P220
Sig P239
Sig P226
CZ75
CZ P-01
CZ97
HK P7M8
Desert Eagle .44Mag
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:40:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#4]
XD40 sub-compact,nice pistola IMO for the money and intented defense.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#5]

I like my H&K USP .45, but it is the only pistol I've ever owned. I tried out several others before getting it, and the H&K just seemed right.

It will take +P .45 ACP ammo without a problem, some brands warn against using +P. It also seems to like just about any ammo I have fed it, except Wolf.

Downside of the H&K is that it seems everything for it costs more.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What can't be killed with a .45 ACP?

Personally I use a .357 revolver loaded with +P rounds but my go to pistol inside the safe is a nice 1911A1.

I think he wanted something with a stronger trigger pull, and no safety release.

My choice, I keep the sig p226 loaded in 9mm
Or the walther p99 in .40 loaded
The Sig is alot more accurate, but the walther sure fits my hand good, and its accuracy is good.
I love my 1911, and am looking to buy a few moe of them, because one is never enough.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah that was just it. Im sure the 1911 fits the bill very well for most people, but it just isnt the gun i want beside my bed. I dont really know why(maybe its the thought that if someone breaks into my house and I wake up and reach for my gun quickly it could fire(if safety is off)) but I dont want a gun with an easy pull right beside my bed. Thats why I think I need a nice full pull. Thanks for the advice guys, any other suggestions.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:45:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I've owned a few pistols.

If I wanted a fun gun with an aftermarket the size of the AR I'll grab a 1911.

If I wanted an infallable, guaranteed to shoot and never jam I'll grab my HK USP45 over a 1911 anyday. Sorry to those devout to the 1911, but I and many other will agree that the HK is a better handgun than the 1911 when it comes to absolute dependency.

Now if it were any other topic such as accuracy and ergonomics the 1911 would win. But if I could only have 1 handgun in a fight I would trust my life on the HK, a 1911 would give me too much to worry about.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:58:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Exactly my point dragonov. Actually I was thinking almost the exact same setup, only the p226 in 40 with that light setup. The only problem is the 1000 price tag that comes along with it
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:36:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Exactly my point dragonov. Actually I was thinking almost the exact same setup, only the p226 in 40 with that light setup. The only problem is the 1000 price tag that comes along with it

Get friendly with a dealer. I was quoted $800 for a P220, and picked up a new P245 from him for around $650 6 months ago.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I will say Glock 20. It's 10mm.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Glock 22 if it's not going to be carried.  (Who am I kidding, the number of pounds Michael Moore weighs far exceeds the number of CA CCW permits)  Just remember to use hallowpoints or bullets designed for home-defense.  I think a 10mm is overkill for home defense, and has too much energy and penetration.  You wouldn't want to miss the bugler and kill your neighbor, would you? The .40 Short & Weak caliber should be fine for self-defense and a great target gun for the range.  You might even want a Glock 35, since it won't be carried.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#14]
For a home defense pistol I would consider a full sized handgun with the maximum allowed 10 rounds from one of the major manufacturers.  Home defense guns won't be subjected to the extremes of a hostile combat environment, so even the much maligned M9 Beretta 92f with its crappy worn out mags in Iraq are suitable for fending off miscreants in the dead of night.  

And sorry, the Desert Eagle in ANY caliber makes a poor defensive pistol choice.  They're just too finicky to be dead nuts reliable.  They can experience any number of failures just by holding the weapon improperly and the wrong brand of ammo can lead to all kinds of headaches.  As much as I enjoy shooting my Desert Eagle in .44 and in .50, I would never rely on it to protect my life in a home defense situation unless it was my absolute last resort.  It's better than a small club, at the very least because if it fails to work you can at least use it as one.  Of course if you were joking...  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#15]
another vote for GLOCK, check out these used deals!!!!   http://www.summitgunbroker.com/index.html
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#16]
+1 For The Glock
I own a G22 with 3 10 round mags and night sights 1500 is the round count Failures to fire or any other malfunction zero and i'm talking 1 shot every 5 min. and dureing tactical training class.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#17]
My go to guns are a 1911 and a trooper.  Both are big and robust and I've been shooting these two off and on for over 45 years (I'm 52)  so I know what they shoot and where they shoot AND they fit my hands.  If you have a smaller mitt than mine, I would agree a 45 isn't for you.  That said a 1911 is as reliable as they come if you haven't gussied it up.  And a bedstand gun doesn't need tackdriving accuracy and 10 feet.  

this is a real 1911 notice improved target sights

OK THIS one has target sights and grips, even with a 4" barrel it is a good sized pistol, but balances and point shoots really really nicely.

again both of these are great point shooters in my hands, (and 30 years ago I could hit soda cans with the Trooper  at 50 yards+) but if you are looking for a defense handgun for bedside, get one you  can point shoot well IN YOUR HANDS.  After all you will be shooting at 20 feet or less, quick on target is your goal not little groups.  9mm is the smallest caliber you should be considering, preferably something starting with a .4 is better.  IF you are in the house, knockdown is needed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

If I wanted an infallable, guaranteed to shoot and never jam I'll grab my HK USP45 over a 1911 anyday. Sorry to those devout to the 1911, but I and many other will agree that the HK is a better handgun than the 1911 when it comes to absolute dependency.

the 1911 will hold up in harsh enviroments better than the HK USP.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

the double action pull will just make you a poor marksman, its tough for alot of new shooters to transition from DA to SA.

Plus if you had a 1911 it would have the safety on and you could pull the trigger all you want it aint going to fire.  If you are really worried about waking up and starting to pull the trigger, make sure you have a safety because a heavy pull isn't going to slow you down one bit.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#20]
1911gregg,

There is just something about having the DA buy the bed. I dont like having the 1911 locked and cocked for some reason(not sure why, i just dont) and I feel like the full pull of a DA is a pretty good safety.

Also 97guns,

Those are some awesome deals on glocks. I might get one just to get one!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#21]
at those prices its really hard not to have a glock. once you get one youll fall in love with them. im eyeballing another one myself, being in california we really need to buy first and think later.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah so true. Now as long as we get an FFL to do the transfer, we should be good to go right?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:57:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Glocks are essentially "revolvers" with magazines since every pull of the trigger produces a bang (assuming no misfires).  There is no safety (the "safe" trigger does not count) other than keeping your finger out of the trigger guard and making sure you have a 9 lb. NYPD trigger.  I personally like Glocks.  Easy to shoot.  Accurate.  But bear in mind they are not as safe as a 1911 (even in Condition 1).  Get at least a .40, and preferably a .45.

I have to agree with folks that the H&K USPs are nice.  One of my friends who is a Federal judge carries one in .40 cal.  Given a choice, I would go with a .45.

My preferred night-time sidearm is a SIG P220 with a Surefire Nitrolon Weaponlight, since having an integral light makes target identification much easier.  I also have it fitted with a Crimson Trace Corporation Lasergrip, which places the dot in the middle of the lighted area.  It's a bulky package, for which there are no concealment holsters, but for a home defense gun, it's hard to beat.  It also takes extended 10 round magazines made by Promag, which seem to be as reliable in my experience as the factory 7 and 8 round magazines.

I have a Springfield Armory V10 Ultracompact, but since it is ported, it is completely unsuitable for nighttime shooting.  It is strictly a daytime gun.

I personally have always liked Smiths in .45 ACP, even with the slide-mounted safety (not a decocker).  Some folks don't, but they really are nice guns.  Smith is now making a 1911-style .45, so if you prefer that type of firearm, they make an excellent one.

In these heavier calibers, especially for home defense at close range, +P ammo is literally "overkill" (as in overpenetration danger).

My back-up gun is a Smith Model 39, but since it's only a 9mm, I would not consider it a primary side-arm.  Ditto my Smith Centennial on .38 Spec.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:18:10 AM EDT
[#24]
summit also has berretta 92's for $269. their available in centurian too but they look like their dao versions. good price either way you'll never lose a penny at that price.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:14:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, that place has some damn awesome deals
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:25:24 AM EDT
[#26]
ZCHF, you say that you're afraid of hastily pulling the trigger in a stressful situation.

Now, what I don't understand is how you can say a cocked & locked 1911 (single action, with 2, sometimes 3 INDEPENDENT safety devices) is not safe to keep loaded by your bed, then turn around and say that a Glock (whose 3 safety devices are ALL tied to the trigger, and is also closer to single action than double action) is safe to keep loaded by your bed.

My "Bump in the night" gun is either a Les Baer TRS or a Browning High-Power, in an IWB holster. That way the trigger is covered even if the thumb safety were to come off (a small concern with the BHP).
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:11:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
ZCHF, you say that you're afraid of hastily pulling the trigger in a stressful situation.

Now, what I don't understand is how you can say a cocked & locked 1911 (single action, with 2, sometimes 3 INDEPENDENT safety devices) is not safe to keep loaded by your bed, then turn around and say that a Glock (whose 3 safety devices are ALL tied to the trigger, and is also closer to single action than double action) is safe to keep loaded by your bed.

My "Bump in the night" gun is either a Les Baer TRS or a Browning High-Power, in an IWB holster. That way the trigger is covered even if the thumb safety were to come off (a small concern with the BHP).

Mall ninja,

First of all, thanks for the reply.

I dont ever remember saying that I plan on keeping a glock beside the bed at night. I did talk about getting a glock with 97guns, but I said, " I might get one just to get one" referring to the awesome price they were being sold for.

That said, I dont plan on using a "glock type" weapon for home defense at night. After much thinking about the 1911, it is pretty safe to have cocked and locked, but still there is some reason I dont want to have that right near my bed.

So far based on what I have heard I am going to go with the sig 226 with tactical light. It seams like the best option so far.

I do appreciate your comments and look forward to others replies.

ZC
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:53:20 PM EDT
[#28]
When I was a bachelor, I used to sleep with a 1911 in Condition 1 under my pillow.  I never worried about blowing off my own head.  Young lady visitors were sometimes surprised at what they found under the pillow, but they were discrete enough not to say anything.  One of the virtues of growing up on the East Coast, where it was considered "bad form" to comment on anything embarrassing like finding a loaded gun under the pillow of a date.

The P226 with light should be fine.  Bear in mind, that if you have children, you need to keep the gun locked up even at night.  Get a good, fast opening safe, that you can operate in the dark and under stress by feel.  My P220 with Surefire Weaponlight has its own dedicated gun safe close at hand, as do the other guns about the house.  Think, "Dogs of War," but the dispersed guns are in safes.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top