Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 6:35:43 PM EDT
Can anyone give me any advice on how I would go about getting my son's last name changed in NY? I've looked stuff up online but it's a little confusing. I appriciate any advice or insight!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would you want to do that?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Result of a divorce, perhaps? I think it has to go thru the courts, but I am not 100 % certain.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Why would you want to do that?

Cause i really think his name should be Axl Rose
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Result of a divorce, perhaps? I think it has to go thru the courts, but I am not 100 % certain.

No it has nothing to do with divorce and it shouldn't matter to anyone what my reasons are.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it has nothing to do with divorce and it shouldn't matter to anyone what my reasons are.

Does HE want to have his name changed? The courts are gonna wanna know that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does HE want to have his name changed? The courts are gonna wanna know that.

HE is 3 and from what I've read the courts would like the opinion of the child if the child could give one but it does not bear any major wieght in the outcome. I just have to give them good reason for the change. But i'm not asking to debate all of that i was asking about how to start and go about the process.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:12:27 AM EDT
[#7]
http://www.courts.state.ny.us/courts/nyc/civil/nc60.shtml

http://www.nycourts.gov/forms/namechange.shtml

Dont know if this will help but you will also have to put an ad in the paper saying John Doe is now known as Jim Doe or John Smith. I would like to change my name from Robert to Maxwell but with my job it makes it a pain.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:07:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
http://www.courts.state.ny.us/courts/nyc/civil/nc60.shtml

http://www.nycourts.gov/forms/namechange.shtml

Dont know if this will help but you will also have to put an ad in the paper saying John Doe is now known as Jim Doe or John Smith. I would like to change my name from Robert to Maxwell but with my job it makes it a pain.

thanks....is your last name House?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#9]
A lawyer can assist in this matter.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#10]
That ad you are required to run is going to cost you more than you can imagine.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:47:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

how much do those things go for? do you know if it has to be in a major paper? it didn't say how long i have to run the ad either
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

know any that aren't going to charge me my first born child for something i can obviously do myself?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

know any that aren't going to charge me my first born child for something i can obviously do myself?

All they are going to do is file some paperwork on your behalf and to put the ad in the newspaper.  I would guest it wouldn't cost that much.  Ask Aimless I think a lawyer.  Balzac is one but he's <cough> banned <banned> from here.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#14]
With the forms at this link and a little help at the County Clerk's office, you should be able to do it yourself.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#15]
www.namechangelaw.com/states/ny/newyork.htm

Here's a link you can read up on.  I think you can do it yourself on the paperwork.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Here's a link you can read up on.  I think you can do it yourself on the paperwork.

Fair warning, you'll be paying money for the forms on the above web site when those forms are probably identical to the ones you get for free from NYS at the link in my post above.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#17]
If you are just changing the kids name for aesthetic reasons you will HAVE to go the Full Legal
route.

In some cases however there is Another option

Both Biological Parents may have the Birth Certificate AMENDED , if for some reason    
an "Incorrect" Surname was chosen.

If Paternity has not been established, the Birth Mother,
(as only parent) can also Amend it to record HER legal Surname as the childs.

Also , It would not be wise for someone to attempt to Establish Paternity by sidestepping the Courts
and playing with name changes.

Please don't take offense at this information , as I am just a nice Guy giving INTERNET
Advice.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:37:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fair warning, you'll be paying money for the forms on the above web site when those forms are probably identical to the ones you get for free from NYS at the link in my post above.

Good point Phil.  Google is your friend.  Either that or swing by the count clerk's office for more info.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Well, if 20 bucks is more than you can imagine, then yeh, I guess... Of course, it will depend on the fee structure of the newspaper you use. I just paid a bill for a name change publication today (I work for an attorney).

Do yourself a favor, for something this significant, call some attorneys and at least get some ballpark figures to have them do this for you. It's more involved than you think. It's not rocket science, but there are lots of opportunities to screw something up in the process. It will cost a few hundred dollars, but you're paying for the lawyer's expertise. You know it will be done right. There are, of course different rules for an infant name change as opposed to an adult (regarding consent).
Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:49:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, if 20 bucks is more than you can imagine, then yeh, I guess... Of course, it will depend on the fee structure of the newspaper you use. I just paid a bill for a name change publication today (I work for an attorney).

Do yourself a favor, for something this significant, call some attorneys and at least get some ballpark figures to have them do this for you. It's more involved than you think. It's not rocket science, but there are lots of opportunities to screw something up in the process. It will cost a few hundred dollars, but you're paying for the lawyer's expertise. You know it will be done right. There are, of course different rules for an infant name change as opposed to an adult (regarding consent).
Good luck!

Where's the attorney you work for? or do you have any suggestions for one? I hate just picking things like this out of thin air. thanks for ur input!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I would suggest you call the NYS Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service at (800) 342-3661. Tell them where you are and what you need an attorney for, and they'll reccomend one in the area who can handle the job for you.  On the other hand, don't hesitate to call a few right out of the phone book. Feel them out, compare fees.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top