Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2002 3:04:33 PM EDT
I had to do a address change on my firearms ID card do to a address change. I went to the local police dept. and filled out all the paper work, got finger printed again and paid the local and state fee,s. Well that was three month's ago !  Still no reply.  I was under the impression that by law they have to give you a answer in 30 days. Anybody have this problem.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Standard NJ runaround.  It took 3 months for my initial ID to come in.  The PD made all the standard excuses "background check takes awhile", "your reference forms aren't in" etcetc.  This was all compounded by the fact that the locals seemed to only have one fella that could take prints, and from what I could tell he only worked 3 hours a month.  A few friends went for permits in different towns about the same time, and in no case was the wait less than 3 months.  I believe I saw a lawsuit against a local PD in south jersey for just such a runaround (sucessful), but who has the time or inclination to sue the local cops?

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, per NJ title 2:C, if your application has not been approved or denied after 30 days, it is assumed to be approved.  However, you must petition the Supreme Court of NJ, go to trial, etc.  The PDs know they have you by the balls and do not even flinch at taking 3-6 months.  

Its a shame really, there are only a few departments I know of in the state that act as professionals in this area.  Fortunately, my township (Hamilton) has always been respectful and professional about these things with me.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats what I thought. I could ALMOST understand if it was a new application, but a address change? Please. Anyway I sent A email to Nappan and will see what he suggests and take it from there.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine took over four months.  Before I applied I read all of the articles and said to myself that I would be the biggest pain in the ass if they did not have my ID in a month etc...  Well after reading further I realised that there was nothing to do.  I called complained but they just kept saying that they did they're part they are just waiting for the fed etc.  Well after a while I called the fed and asked who was in charge and I finally got schuffeled around and got a guy who looked up my paperwork and said that they did not have it which meant that they never got it or it was already done.  I asked how long it took to turn the info around from the NJ police and he said no longer than a week and that was after the 9-11 traffic.  Seemed as if the fed had no problem.  Well after that I called NJ again and said that I talked to the FBI and that everything was fine and all NJ had to say was "who do you know at the FBI?".  Anyway a few weeks later the ID came in.  The problem is that there is no accountability.  If you sue they don't do anything except give you the ID and your out the time and expense of a lawyer.  There are references for suits against NJ that all failed.

What would be interesting is for the ar15.com site to contribute.  Pick a person that is waiting for an ID and have the entire ar15 site follow up and ask questions to the local PD.  Why does this take so long, who do I contact, what is the chain of command, how do I speed this up, what is the complaint process etc...  The pot needs to be stirred if anything is going to happen.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#5]
What the FUCK is a firearms I.D.card??
Is this like gun registration ???
Is New Jersey a Communist or Nazi state?
Never heard of such nonsense in Arizona !
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 5:48:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What the FUCK is a firearms I.D.card??
Is this like gun registration ???
Is New Jersey a Communist or Nazi state?
Never heard of such nonsense in Arizona !

Wait, there's a little spot in the wound that still needs some salt!!

We have to apply for a permit which, once obtained, allows you to purchase and posess/transport long guns. (within state guidelines)

We also have to apply for a separate permit for each and every handgun we buy.  (handguns are registered in this state)

Yes, we still ALSO have to undergo the NICS check at time of purchase IN ADDITION TO having our permits.  By the way, NJ is also nice enough to charge us $15 for the NICS check...

Edited to add that the ID card costs about $55 and each pistol permit is up to about $17 now I think.  (its been a while since I got one)
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#7]
You also need a pistol permit for a BB pistol and a FID card to buy BB's.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget what happens when someone starts selling a smart-gun!
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Don't forget what happens when someone starts selling a smart-gun!

You know, this is really the most embarrassing part of living here now...
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Gentlemen, my apologies to all of you living under Liberal Oppression. I had NO IDEA things had gotten so fucked up back east! It's almost as if you live in a different country. But which is it, Communism or Nazi ?
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Nazi all the way. Its like living in a prision not a state.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top