Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2009 4:53:41 PM EDT
Is it possible to transfer (through FFL) a stripped ar15 pistol lower in NY to myself without a pistol permit?  I don't want to build the rest of it until I leave NY (3-5 months), but want the the stripped lower now.  Basically I'm wondering if it's considered a pistol or if it can stay a stripped lower that's never been built into a rifle until I move.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#1]
considered a pistol due to the s/n
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is it possible to transfer (through FFL) a stripped ar15 pistol lower in NY to myself without a pistol permit?  I don't want to build the rest of it until I leave NY (3-5 months), but want the the stripped lower now.  Basically I'm wondering if it's considered a pistol or if it can stay a stripped lower that's never been built into a rifle until I move.  Thanks for the info.

You can buy a "Stripped Lower" as defined on the federal form 4473.

( Sample of New 4473 )

http://www.atf.gov/press/2008press/100308f4473_pt1_aug2008-sample-rev.pdf

It must not be recorded by the MFG . as a Pistol.

When you LEAVE NY - you can make it into whatever is Legal in your new state.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Per Federal Law: A "Pistol" reciever/frame may be built into a rifle or handgun, however the same reciever serial numbered by the manufacturer as "rifle" may not be made into a handgun without being registered as a "short barreled rifle/shotgun"
When the dealer recieves and 4473's it too you it will be noted as "reciever only" in a special column: Do what you want, but do not build it into a pistol as long as you're in NY.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#4]
My FFL transferred an EA lower to me today. Overheard the NICS call. My FFL said frame only, then pistol. I have no idea how this thing is listed now....lol
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Per Federal Law: A "Pistol" reciever/frame may be built into a rifle or handgun, however the same reciever serial numbered by the manufacturer as "rifle" may not be made into a handgun without being registered as a "short barreled rifle/shotgun"
When the dealer recieves and 4473's it too you it will be noted as "reciever only" in a special column: Do what you want, but do not build it into a pistol as long as you're in NY.

GAH I hate this legal crap

fp1201 - A  NY FFL won't transfer anything marked pistol to a non permit holder , but they should
transfer a stripped lower using the new form 4473.

So, if it came straight from the MFG and was NEVER assembled into a rifle , it could later be built
as a pistol IN ANOTHER STATE.

We on the same page?

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:55:12 PM EDT
[#6]
As far as I know, a pistol lower isn't labeled as such.  It's serial number is just recorded as never being made into a rifle by the MFG, correct?  A pistol lower, from the viewpoint of the FFL, is the same as any other stripped lower.  It seems like this would be ok to transfer and then do nothing with until I'm out of state.

EDIT: I just saw that the lower I'm looking at is engraved "registered pistol".  Oh well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Mmmmm....  that's like having Caspian send you a 1911 frame and saying "It's not a pistol yet... I swear."  Riiiiiight. Even though you may technically be right, it aint gonna fly. Especially if the AR lower says "pistol" on it. I can't say I blame your FFL one bit for that one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top