Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2013 2:07:08 PM EDT
Are there actually NY compliant AR's out there for sale? Just got off the phone with a gun store that said they have NY compliant ar's for sale. I would love to see one and a letter from NYS saying it is legal.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't need a letter (nor will anyone issue it) however there are configurations of an AR lower (fixed magazine of 10 rds or less, bolt action, or detachable magazine with no banned features) that are a perfectly legal semi-auto .223 -much like a Mini-14
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#2]
All you need to do to a pre- SAFE NYS compliant rifle is no "pistol" grip.  There are several options, and once a manufacturer puts it on, they can be imported to and sold in the People's Republik of nu yak.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
All you need to do to a pre- SAFE NYS compliant rifle is no "pistol" grip.  There are several options, and once a manufacturer puts it on, they can be imported to and sold in the People's Republik of nu yak.

Not true. No such thing as pre/post anymore in relation to rifles and features. If you owned an 'assault rifle' prior to passage you can register it and have whatever features. If you don't want to register you can't have any features at all and keep the detachable magazine.

Or you can not comply either way.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true. No such thing as pre/post anymore in relation to rifles and features. If you owned an 'assault rifle' prior to passage you can register it and have whatever features. If you don't want to register you can't have any features at all and keep the detachable magazine.

Or you can not comply either way.

My point was that a rifle that was legal before the SAFE act, one that did not have a muzzle device or telescopic stock, only needs to have the "pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon" removed for something like a "monsterman" grip to be legal under the SAFE act.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Right, but to be clear if you had a perm welded muzzle brake, that is now illegal. If you had a VFG, that is now illegal too.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, you guys make it seem so open and shut. I could only wish it is going to be that easy. I am aware the way the law is written, but I don't think the state is going to be so understanding. I agree with everything you guys have said, but I just hope the State sees it the same way. Here is my idea of no pistol grip and a fixed magazine. How can I be sure it is now NY compliant and doesn't still qualify as an "assault weapon under the NY safe act? You know the old saying, you may beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride.

Link Posted: 6/28/2013 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, you guys make it seem so open and shut. I could only wish it is going to be that easy. I am aware the way the law is written, but I don't think the state is going to be so understanding. I agree with everything you guys have said, but I just hope the State sees it the same way. Here is my idea of no pistol grip and a fixed magazine. How can I be sure it is now NY compliant and doesn't still qualify as an "assault weapon under the NY safe act? You know the old saying, you may beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride.

http://imageshack.us/a/img69/4200/dsc03281f.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img441/1299/d3c1.jpg

If the magazine is fixed you can have a pistol grip .

With that said the fixed magazine is the single most terrible thing someone could do to it. Just go buy an SKS it would be a far more effective tool.

You are better off going with no features and keeping the detachable magazine.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://imageshack.us/a/img69/4200/dsc03281f.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img441/1299/d3c1.jpg

With that said the fixed magazine is the single most terrible thing someone could do to it. Just go buy an SKS it would be a far more effective tool.

I agree with you on that, but in certain instances I really don't have a problem with a fixed magazine on an ar. last year I built an AR chambered in 6.8 SPC which I am going to use for deer hunting. I can only have a 5 round magazine while hunting anyway, so putting in a fixed 5 round mag really doesn't bother me. Same goes for one that I built for coyote hunting.

Link Posted: 6/28/2013 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Really, your spewing you knowledge about this again? Well that may be you OPINION but a stock saiga would be MY opinion a far better tool than a heavy ass SKS
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really, your spewing you knowledge about this again? Well that may be you OPINION but a stock saiga would be MY opinion a far better tool than a heavy ass SKS

All I was saying is that a SKS is a better weapon platform than an AR15 with a fixed magazine. This is not an opinion.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

All I was saying is that a SKS is a better weapon platform than an AR15 with a fixed magazine. This is not an opinion.

Wouldn't that depend on the intended use of the fixed mag AR-15?  My opinion is that it is your opinion.

Link Posted: 6/28/2013 2:30:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wouldn't that depend on the intended use of the fixed mag AR-15?  My opinion is that it is your opinion.

Well shit for argument sake self defense against a horde of zombies.

ETA: A self defense situation is what I am referring too.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Well shit for argument sake self defense against a horde of zombies.

Cuomo says no one needs 10 bullets to kill a horde of zombies. Besides, unless the zombies just happen to be at an authorized range you can only load 7 bullets anyway.   Lastly according to Cuomo assault weapons have no legitimate zombie self-defense use anyway.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top