Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2003 11:43:52 AM EDT
I found a gun I want to buy.  I'm trying to make this a private sale.  The seller is out in Eastern New York.  Is there a law against him boxing up the gun and shipping it to me and I send him a MO?  Or must a private sale be conducted "face to face?"

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#1]
without a FFL you can't send a gun thru the mail except back to the manufacturer for repair.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
without a FFL you can't send a gun thru the mail except back to the manufacturer for repair.

Well, maybe in Texas, where you're from.  As for Federal regulations, I'm looking at the ATF webpage right now:
www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/qa.pdf

On page 10 of that document, questions B8 and B9 address this concern and at least on the Federal level, it seems the ATF has no problem with a "private sale by mail."

Read it for yourself.  Now I'm wondering if there is a NYS law that pertains to this.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 2:31:06 PM EDT
[#3]
im almost 100% positive that we cant do this due to state law.  Just meet the guy half way like i did when i bought one of my ARs.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#5]
To the best of my knowledge it's ok for individuals of the same state to ship between each other. I've been involved in a couple purchases this way. You could always consult section 400. of the state firearms laws.
If both partys are willing, go for it!
Handguns, are a whole diffrent matter, and that varies between counties.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:06:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I "believe" you can ship a rifle within NYS, as I was told this by an FFL on Long Island who recently purchased a rifle from me. I have heard this from two other second-hand NY sources as well. Pistols are obviously a no-no.

I am however, not an expert in this area. Take my blather for what it is worth!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top