Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 4/4/2006 10:17:16 PM EST
Hi all what are the requirements of bringing a handgun from another state to NY speciffically Long Island? Fees, licenses etc...
Thanks, Ron
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:40:41 PM EST
Short answer: You can't. Each county in NY issues handgun licences to merely posses, and you have to be a resident of NY to acquire one. Are you moving to NY?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:57:21 AM EST
There is a clause in the law that allows you to bring a handgun, cased, if you are participating in a competition, if that's why you're asking:

13. Possession of pistols and revolvers by a person who is a
nonresident of this state while attending or traveling to or from, an
organized competitive pistol match or league competition under auspices
of, or approved by, the National Rifle Association and in which he is a
competitor, within forty-eight hours of such event or by a person who is
a non-resident of the state while attending or traveling to or from an
organized match sanctioned by the International Handgun Metallic
Silhouette Association and in which he is a competitor, within
forty-eight hours of such event, provided that he has not been
previously convicted of a felony or a crime which, if committed in New
York, would constitute a felony, and further provided that the pistols
or revolvers are transported unloaded in a locked opaque container
together with a copy of the match program, match schedule or match
registration card. Such documentation shall constitute prima facie
evidence of exemption, providing that such person also has in his
possession a pistol license or firearms registration card issued in
accordance with the laws of his place of residence. For purposes of this
subdivision, a person licensed in a jurisdiction which does not
authorize such license by a person who has been previously convicted of
a felony shall be presumed to have no prior conviction. The
superintendent of state police shall annually review the laws of
jurisdictions within the United States and Canada with respect to the
applicable requirements for licensing or registration of firearms and
shall publish a list of those jurisdictions which prohibit possession of
a firearm by a person previously convicted of a felony or crimes which
if committed in New York state would constitute a felony.

From Findlaw

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:30:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/5/2006 4:27:27 AM EST by Phil_A_Steen]
The 265.17.13 exception is very narrow and to be used cautiously.

But generally, you can't bring a handgun to NYS, and further, you can't even borrow one to shoot one from a permit holder (unless you are between the ages of 18 and 21).

ETA: To answer the question below, here is the code section for the 18-21 exemption:


Possession and use of a pistol or revolver, at an indoor or
outdoor pistol range
located in or on premises owned or occupied by a
duly incorporated organization organized for conservation purposes or to
foster proficiency in small arms or at a target pistol shooting
competition under the auspices of or approved by an association or
organization described in paragraph 7-a of this subdivision for the
purpose of loading and firing the same by a person at least eighteen
years of age but under the age of twenty-one
who has not been previously
convicted of a felony or serious offense, and who does not appear to be,
or pose a threat to be, a danger to himself or to others; provided
however, that such possession shall be of a pistol or revolver duly
licensed to and shall be used under the immediate supervision, guidance
and instruction of, a person specified in paragraph seven of this

If you go back to paragraph 7:

7. Possession, at an indoor or outdoor shooting range for the purpose
of loading and firing, of a rifle or shotgun, the propelling force of
which is gunpowder by a person under sixteen years of age but not under
twelve, under the immediate supervision, guidance and instruction of (a)
a duly commissioned officer of the United States army, navy, air force,
marine corps or coast guard, or of the national guard of the state of
New York; or (b) a duly qualified adult citizen of the United States who
has been granted a certificate as an instructor in small arms practice
issued by the United States army, navy, air force or marine corps, or by
the adjutant general of this state, or by the national rifle association
of America, a not-for-profit corporation duly organized under the laws
of this state; or (c) a parent, guardian, or a person over the age of
eighteen designated in writing by such parent or guardian who shall have
a certificate of qualification in responsible hunting, including safety,
ethics, and landowner relations-hunter relations, issued or honored by
the department of environmental conservation (--basically anyone
with a hunting license--)
; or (d) an agent of the
department of environmental conservation appointed to conduct courses in
responsible hunting practices pursuant to article eleven of the
environmental conservation law.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:53:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/5/2006 3:54:07 AM EST by pequa1]
Doesn't the permit holder allowing the 18 to 21 year old to
handle and fire his licensed weapon have to be a LEO, or a
commissioned officer, NRA certified instructor or something
like that as well ?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:25:02 AM EST
Im moving to NY in a less than a month, and a friend offered me a great deal on a Beretta. I think I'll pass as it seems to much of a hassle.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:53:58 AM EST
Yeah, it's a bunch of BS to deal with. I'm sorry you have to move from relative freedom in Nevada to relative oppression here in NY.

Since you're going to be new to NY, know the Legislative system is weird, and it's difficult to keep up with and understand some of the laws here. I've lived in Upstate for all but 5 years of my life and I know next to nothing. Keep asking questions of these guys, they know it all, and never assume anything without first checking here. If you think it may be illegal, it probably is. Check out the NRA-ILA and NRA-ILA NYC Laws sites for a crash course.

That being said, it's not too late to change your mind...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:27:26 AM EST
If you own handguns and are moving to NY, you MUST have them transfered here from a FFL to a NY FFL, that is only AFTER you get your NY permit which will take 6mos or more to obtain.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:44:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/5/2006 8:44:43 AM EST by rkbar15]
What county are you moving to on LI? Hopefully it's not Nassau. You could have your friend hold the pistol for you until you get your NYS pistol license. He would then have to have an FFL in NV ship it to a NY FFL for transfer to you. With the shipping and associated transfer fees it might not be worth it to you though.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:46:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By pequa1:
Doesn't the permit holder allowing the 18 to 21 year old to
handle and fire his licensed weapon have to be a LEO, or a
commissioned officer, NRA certified instructor or something
like that as well ?

No, but good luck in finding a public range that will allow it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:01:12 PM EST

Originally Posted By rkbar15:

Originally Posted By pequa1:
Doesn't the permit holder allowing the 18 to 21 year old to
handle and fire his licensed weapon have to be a LEO, or a
commissioned officer, NRA certified instructor or something
like that as well ?

No, but good luck in finding a public range that will allow it.

RKBar15, see the code section above -- I think pequa1 is generally correct that there are special restrictions on this.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:53:32 PM EST
Perhaps, but I have this thing about drunk drivers...lol
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:57:40 PM EST
All good suggestions! I'll pass but here is what Im bringing so far let me know if its a no-no:
SLR105A1 (blind pinned muzzle brake in two spots and grinded off bayo lug)
Yugo SKS (bringing "as is" with bayonet and grenade launcher)
Yugo M48 (should be OK)
Saiga in 7.62 (no mods )

looking to get NY compliant AR.
thanks, will be asking more questions later when I get myself settled like best gunstore for EBR's or shooting ranges that don't shun AK's and AR's.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:38:05 PM EST
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the rifles you list above are OK in NY. As for a NY-legal AR, you can have anything evil you want on a pre-9/94 AR but must neuter anything made after that date. Post-9/94 AR's can't have a bayonet lug, flash suppressor, threaded barrel, or collapsible stock (same rules that were in place with the federal AWB until it expired).
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:34:26 PM EST
Regarding AR friendly ranges-

For indoor and only up to 75 feet, if you live in Nassau County the Mitchell Field (public) Range in Uniondale is OK. Residents pay 7 an hour, half that if a vet, disabled or over 60.
No rapid fire although when the LEOs are qualifying I don't see how anyone can really complain about a few "double taps" from an AR. I have shot there as rapidly as I can aim, maybe a shot every 3 or 4 seconds, no one has said boo. Supposedly only 5 rounds in a mag (although I have loaded my little Henry with 13 and my AR mags with 9 or 10 each time I have brought them and again, nothing has been said, probably because of that 3 or 4 second stuff I usually do.
All rifle ammo however must be soft or hollow point.

Outdoors- AR Friendly ?
Really just one on Long Island unless you join a club- Calverton.

The Brookhaven town range is a 'mite fussy' about anything resembling rapid fire, and they only allow bench shooting for the rifles. They also only allow one bullseye target on a board.
Huntington Town Range is similar with its occasional attitude and restrictions.

Even the lunch lady from hell allows you to fire somewhat rapidly. Ten bucks for the day, rifle and handgun. The targets are all shot up, the benches are deteriorating and the seats are just sawed off logs. You can walk 50 yards without ever stepping off a carpet of spent shells in some spots. There are portapotties and an open male latrine for number one, ammo and a roach coach but only on weekends (portapotties are there during the week too, lol.) No running water, no electric. Shotgunning is extra and about 15 bucks now. Of course, safety is sometimes a BYO affair at Calverton, and Harry who takes your money disappears for an hour at a time. But ARS are fine there.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:07:41 PM EST
I will be living in Baldwin Harbor, in Long Island. NY is a far departure from NV where it is pretty much the wild wild west! Thanks fellas!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:45:45 AM EST
Some members here belong to the Freeport Rifle and Revolver Club or some such name and seem happy with it. Its south of Merrick Road in Freeport- I think membership is a bit more than 200 a year and guests can only watch, the biggest reason for my not joining. If you shoot weekly it could be well worth it. I am more like monthly and less during the summer.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:45:53 PM EST
AKuzer Welcome to Long Island.
Top Top