BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2005 6:49:24 AM EDT

New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com
Cops fire 77 bullets at gunman
BY VERONIKA BELENKAYA and ALISON GENDAR
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
Thursday, September 29th, 2005

Firing 77 bullets, cops wounded an ex-con early yesterday after he shot at another man and turned his weapon on police outside a Manhattan housing project, authorities and witnesses said.
Cedrick Rooks began spraying bullets outside the Taft Houses shortly before 1a.m. and was still waving his .32-caliber gun when he was confronted by a dozen cops, witnesses said.

He allegedly shot five to seven times at the cops before his gun jammed.

Six officers from Manhattan's 23rd and 28th Precincts and an NYPD housing unit fired at least 77 rounds at Rooks in two bursts of gunfire, said Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne.

Rooks, who was on parole for a robbery conviction, was hit in the hip, neck and shoulder in front of 5 E. 115th St. He was in stable condition yesterday at Harlem Hospital. No cops were wounded.

"The cop was like, 'Get down!' And the guy didn't get down," said a 23-year-old woman who witnessed the shootout. "He shot at the other boys and at the police."

Several cops on the scene complained that NYPD Housing Bureau Inspection Capt. Vincent Salerno, who had been talking to officers before the shooting, sped off in an unmarked car despite hearing the gunfire.

NYPD officials said the captain could not immediately respond to the shooting because a frightened civilian had jumped into his car, possibly thinking it was a livery cab. The captain went to the shooting scene after getting the civilian out of his car, officials said.

He could not be reached for comment.

77 shots and 3 hits and the guy lives to talk about it!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:36:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Years ago some Buffalo cops were trying to shoot a rabid dog and one shot himself.  Took many shots to get the dog.  Maybe if they trained at 50' or greater they could hit their target.  Or if they practiced weekly.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, if the powers that be didn't insist of a TWELVE POUND trigger pull....
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Just please remeber the source of your info the Daily News.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Twelve pound trigger.  WTF do you need to two fingers.  I had a dream once where I would squeeze the trigger but it wouldn't move.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Twelve pound trigger.  WTF do you need to two fingers.  I had a dream once where I would squeeze the trigger but it wouldn't move.

I had a girl in my class that actually shoot with two fingers until the instructors caught her.  I think they actually put her on a weight lifting regiment to help her.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:12:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I own a retired detectives mod 19. It had that horrible 12# trigger in it and was difficult, at best, to shoot consistently.

Had someone swap it out for a 4# trigger (I think it's 4#) and that gun now shoots as sweet as can be.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

And what was that supposed to accomplish, protect the general public from a fusillade of bullets?  Many years ago I remember the resistance from the "Brass" towards moving the NYPD from revolvers to semi sidearms.   Maybe their idea was to make a semi function like a revolver.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Maybe their idea was to make a semi function like a revolver.

That's what I heard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top