Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2009 1:32:39 PM EDT
is an M1 Garand legal in NYC if its bayonet lug is removed and it only has a 5 rd clip?  Ive heard conflicting things.  According to the laws, it looks legal, but so does an m1 carbine and they wont allow you to register that.  So i was wondering if anyone can help me out (or if anyone knows anyone who actually registered a garand).  I called the licensing board and they kept telling me this line "We will not register an M1 Carbine" even though i was asking about a garand (the woman i spoke to was probably missing a few screws up there)
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 6:57:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Ha...good luck.

The NYPD clerks at the licensing office know NOTHING about firearms.

I once tried to register a .22 marlin...and they denied it because it held 7 or 10 rounds.

I tried to explain to them that I only owned 5 round magazines...they had no clue what I was talking about.

The firearm "research" the clerk sent me was...get this...a print out from an article on WIKIPEDIA. User generated article BS is what the NYPD uses to conduct it's formal firearms research. Wow.

They told me I could try to bring the "weapon" into a gun store in NYC and they could vouch that it was NYC legal with a notarized letter to the NYPD rifle shotgun section.

So the short answer is...if the "standard" capacity of the rifle is over 5 rounds, then it is DENIED...even if it has been modified or is a different model that is NYC legal...it's a NO GO.

Good luck. the NYPD gets to make up their own rules.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top